User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #8086
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Marcelino's cam mod on "that other forum"

Has anyone tried both moving only the exhaust timing (post 428) and moving both intake and exhaust as in Marcelino's first post?

Does either procedure work better? Does one gain more by doing both vs only the exhaust?

As I read it, the ACR doesn't have to be messed with if only the exhaust timing is moved?

Thanks
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #8087
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
Has anyone tried both moving only the exhaust timing (post 428) and moving both intake and exhaust as in Marcelino's first post?

Does either procedure work better? Does one gain more by doing both vs only the exhaust?

As I read it, the ACR doesn't have to be messed with if only the exhaust timing is moved?

Thanks
No, the ACR is on the exhaust cam, so if you change it, you will have to change the ACR.

As I understand it, you have to do both to have any improvement.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #8088
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Tomorrow I'm picking up a green 2009 with just under 1,800 miles for $2,500 bone stock. Couldn't pass it up.

Probably first thing I'll do is get some real knobbies on it. I like the 90/90x21 Pirelli MT21 Dual Sport Rallycross front and a 120/90x18 Dunlop D606 Dual Sport Tire rear tire. Used on both my XR250R and XR650L but I got to a 130 on the L.

I need to decide on what to do with the rear tail light. One superman into the sky coming out of a steep hill and all the junk is going to go crash, bang, smash 'em up with no putting it back together again.

I'm thinking maybe the Acerbis universal tail light.

Thoughts?
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #8089
FIDOLLAZ
Dirty D

Oddometer: 744
fmf

my 09klx has all the mods to the cv carb & the big snorkel in the airbox.
today she got the fmf powerbomb head pipe & the Q4 muffler.

It just became what it should have been all along.

It has transformed to the point its not recognizable as the same bike.
its also quieter than any of the euro bikes ive ever had with stock exhaust.

FMF POWERBOMB & Q4MUFFLER WORTH EVERY PENNY
FIDOLLAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #8090
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,278
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit View Post
. One superman into the sky coming out of a steep hill and all the junk is going to go crash, bang, smash 'em up with no putting it back together again.

Thoughts?
Thoughts? I'm thinking "Superman into the sky? What bike is he riding? This is the KLX250 thread!".

Old 07-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #8091
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Thoughts? I'm thinking "Superman into the sky? What bike is he riding? This is the KLX250 thread!".

That was just mean...but funny...and true...
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #8092
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,278
He asked for thoughts.
I didn't intend any mean.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #8093
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIDOLLAZ View Post
my 09klx has all the mods to the cv carb & the big snorkel in the airbox.
today she got the fmf powerbomb head pipe & the Q4 muffler.

It just became what it should have been all along.

It has transformed to the point its not recognizable as the same bike.
its also quieter than any of the euro bikes ive ever had with stock exhaust.

FMF POWERBOMB & Q4MUFFLER WORTH EVERY PENNY
Do you have any pictures of the new head pipe and muffler? I have big gun EVO x exhaust on my 94 klr 250 and its loud, now I'm looking for something a bit quieter for my 06 klx250. Any video clips of it running?

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #8094
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post

Yeah, that's my one concern. The bike is more street than dirt. Love my XR250R but isn't great on the street and no magic button.
*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #8095
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrockit View Post
Yeah, that's my one concern. The bike is more street than dirt. Love my XR250R but isn't great on the street and no magic button.
I don't know...I think you'll find there's a good deal of off road potential in the KLX. The suspension can be tweaked to a high level of performance, and the engine has a lot of options that really liven it up without much effect on durability and reliability. I had 4 XR250's from '84 until '90. I like my 300 jugged '06 KLX better than any of them. Race Tech revalving in the fork and shock, aftermarket pipe, 36mm pumper carb, and all airbox mods...damn near a real dirt bike with very good road manners...and only marginally heavier. It'll never be a KTM or such, but it's a darn good DS bike.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #8096
DurtDevil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Coughing out

With the 351 and pumper carb on, for about 8 months now, the engine starts "coughing out" at around 8k rpm. Engine is smooth and responsive from down low up to 8k, and in the beginning with the big bore I was happy with that. But I'm reading that others with the 351 have the same RPM range as before... I did a few experiments and if I roll on the throttle slowly and gradually the bike eventually gets up to 10k-10,500 ... But if I accelerate hard and pin it, like I think most would do, it starts coughing .. Or skipping .. Not sure how else to describe at 8k ... Usually I back off and just switch gears at that point, the 351 gives you lots of leeway with gear selection because of available power .. But a couple times I kept the throttle pinned past 8k and the first couple "skips/coughs" and at 9k it started bucking pretty hard, it was very hard to control with loss of power and then it surging full on again-and off/on again at speed- Second run with same result was enough to convince me it wasn't going to resolve itself.
What the heck is going on? I've had three tune ups with valve checks over life of bike (800 miles, 4,800, and just a few months ago at 8,800) Always been told everything looked okay, valve clearances within range and reset to orig specs. It starts easy, runs well down low, but why is the high end not available, and what's causing that scary reaction at 8-9k under hard throttle - but not under slow acceleration? Beyond oil changes and a few basic tasks, I'm out of my pay grade and could use some advice...
Old 07-12-2013, 11:32 PM   #8097
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtDevil View Post
With the 351 and pumper carb on, for about 8 months now, the engine starts "coughing out" at around 8k rpm. Engine is smooth and responsive from down low up to 8k, and in the beginning with the big bore I was happy with that. But I'm reading that others with the 351 have the same RPM range as before... I did a few experiments and if I roll on the throttle slowly and gradually the bike eventually gets up to 10k-10,500 ... But if I accelerate hard and pin it, like I think most would do, it starts coughing .. Or skipping .. Not sure how else to describe at 8k ... Usually I back off and just switch gears at that point, the 351 gives you lots of leeway with gear selection because of available power .. But a couple times I kept the throttle pinned past 8k and the first couple "skips/coughs" and at 9k it started bucking pretty hard, it was very hard to control with loss of power and then it surging full on again-and off/on again at speed- Second run with same result was enough to convince me it wasn't going to resolve itself.
What the heck is going on? I've had three tune ups with valve checks over life of bike (800 miles, 4,800, and just a few months ago at 8,800) Always been told everything looked okay, valve clearances within range and reset to orig specs. It starts easy, runs well down low, but why is the high end not available, and what's causing that scary reaction at 8-9k under hard throttle - but not under slow acceleration? Beyond oil changes and a few basic tasks, I'm out of my pay grade and could use some advice...
Just hearing your symptoms, it sounds like a jetting or accelerator pump timing issue. Do you have a 34 or 36 pumper?
Old 07-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #8098
DurtDevil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Just hearing your symptoms, it sounds like a jetting or accelerator pump timing issue. Do you have a 34 or 36 pumper?
36 pumper
Old 07-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #8099
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
No, the ACR is on the exhaust cam, so if you change it, you will have to change the ACR.

As I understand it, you have to do both to have any improvement.

Rob
See post 428 on that other forum
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #8100
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtDevil View Post
36 pumper
Could you share all your jetting numbers?...main jet, needle #, needle jet #, needle clip position, pilot jet, pilot air jet, pump opening/closing position...everything.