Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #8161
BlueRidgeKat
Daily Commuter

Oddometer: 196
Hey guys, does anyone have or know someone who has 30k or more on a 2009+ KLX250S or SF ? I'm sure if they do its been posted but I work 6 days a week and just dont have time to go through 545 pages of previous post. If anyone is even close to that mark I'd love to hear about it.
Thanks
BlueRidgeKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #8162
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeKat View Post
Hey guys, does anyone have or know someone who has 30k or more on a 2009+ KLX250S or SF ? I'm sure if they do its been posted but I work 6 days a week and just dont have time to go through 545 pages of previous post. If anyone is even close to that mark I'd love to hear about it.
Thanks
I read on a different forum somewhere a guy is currently at around 40000 miles and it's starting to blow smoke, he said he's changing the top end this winter.

I'm listening for others though. Seems like not many people rack up a ton of miles on these bikes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #8163
Ranger Ron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis28715 View Post
Hey Ron,
What did you do to your can? Looks like it was a stocker. Any info you can share?
It's a stock muffler from a KLX300. I got it used and it came without the end piece. The 300 muffler has a removable end piece, unlike the 250 muffler which has the end piece welded on. The original end piece has a pretty small outlet, so many people take them off and run without them.

Without the end piece, exhaust was getting all over the rear fender. So I made the tip to direct the exhaust straight back. Without the tip the exhaust splatters everywhere. What really surprised me was that the tip improved the sound quality immensely and made it much quieter. Without the tip, the exhaust had a loud, raspy, irritating sound.

The tip ID matches the ID of the internal muffler outlet. The outlet is recessed about 3/8" if I remember correctly. The tip extends past the cover plate to mate flush with the internal outlet. The tip is welded to the inside of the cover plate.

It took a while to find a tube with the correct ID. I ended up using an electrical conduit elbow. The bend wasn't sharp enough to use as a curved tip, but I was able to use the straight end section for the tip.

Ron
Ranger Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #8164
lobolator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
21.5K on my 2012

It's not at 30K yet, give me 'til the end of the year.
lobolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #8165
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Ron View Post
It's a stock muffler from a KLX300. I got it used and it came without the end piece. The 300 muffler has a removable end piece, unlike the 250 muffler which has the end piece welded on. The original end piece has a pretty small outlet, so many people take them off and run without them.

Without the end piece, exhaust was getting all over the rear fender. So I made the tip to direct the exhaust straight back. Without the tip the exhaust splatters everywhere. What really surprised me was that the tip improved the sound quality immensely and made it much quieter. Without the tip, the exhaust had a loud, raspy, irritating sound.

The tip ID matches the ID of the internal muffler outlet. The outlet is recessed about 3/8" if I remember correctly. The tip extends past the cover plate to mate flush with the internal outlet. The tip is welded to the inside of the cover plate.

It took a while to find a tube with the correct ID. I ended up using an electrical conduit elbow. The bend wasn't sharp enough to use as a curved tip, but I was able to use the straight end section for the tip.

Ron
Ron, that's baloney. That's not a modded KLX300 muffler...it's clearly a Briggs & Stratton lawn tractor muffler.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #8166
Ranger Ron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Ron, that's baloney. That's not a modded KLX300 muffler...it's clearly a Briggs & Stratton lawn tractor muffler.
Shhhhhhhhh.

I didn't want anyone to know.
Ranger Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #8167
FIDOLLAZ
Dirty D

Oddometer: 742
has anyone had any luck finding or making a seat that works for two up?....the stocker is ok for me alone as i can move around & stand, but way to narrow to have two people sit on & and not move.
....myself & passenger will always be short & skinny
FIDOLLAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #8168
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeKat View Post
Thanks
I've got the 2008 (like 07 with KLX450 gauges) so not the 2009. However I was thinking about checking in on mileage anyways.

I've had some speedometer/odometer issues so this is a bit of a guestimate but I am right about 60,000 KM on the 351cc kit with no issues now. I've been really, really impressed with the reliablity of the 351.

Still though haven't got the jetting down!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:56 AM   #8169
James Parus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
60k. Wow:eek:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
James Parus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:25 AM   #8170
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Question for you guys. I've been playing with packing a bit, and think I've come up with a plan. I currently own a pair of Wolfman expedition bags and a Giant Loop Coyote. I bought the GL when I only had the XRR for a dual sport bike, then bought the Wolfman stuff later when I got the KLR and saw the GL didn't really fit right.

Anyways, I was looking at the Happy Trail SL racks for the wolfman, and seeing where they place the bags. I put the bags on the bike in that location then put the coyote on. It all seems to fit. Any reason not to do this? Is there any reason that having the rack on the bike would somehow reduce it's off road ability? It seems like the racks are narrow enough that I wouldn't notice it when empty.

It seems logical for trips, as even considering everything there wouldn't be a whole lot of weight. The Wolfman's mount kind of far back and are very waterproof, while the Coyote carries it's weight higher and farther foreward. I can pack accordingly.

Here's a picture of the racks I'm looking at. Not getting the top rack, just the side racks.

Here's a couple of shots of the bike. The Wolfman bags are sitting right where the racks would put them. It surely seems like it would work.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #8171
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,348
Still having a blast on mine, this was taken over the 4th holiday, rained the night before, Does not get much better than this.

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #8172
Landon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
rwamf,

What trials tire is that you are running? How do you like it?
Landon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #8173
MCRIDER1959
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Looks like that set up would work just fine. Still have plenty of room to move around when you need to. Glad to see someone else using the KLX for dual sport riding and camping too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Question for you guys. I've been playing with packing a bit, and think I've come up with a plan. I currently own a pair of Wolfman expedition bags and a Giant Loop Coyote. I bought the GL when I only had the XRR for a dual sport bike, then bought the Wolfman stuff later when I got the KLR and saw the GL didn't really fit right.

Anyways, I was looking at the Happy Trail SL racks for the wolfman, and seeing where they place the bags. I put the bags on the bike in that location then put the coyote on. It all seems to fit. Any reason not to do this? Is there any reason that having the rack on the bike would somehow reduce it's off road ability? It seems like the racks are narrow enough that I wouldn't notice it when empty.

It seems logical for trips, as even considering everything there wouldn't be a whole lot of weight. The Wolfman's mount kind of far back and are very waterproof, while the Coyote carries it's weight higher and farther foreward. I can pack accordingly.

Here's a picture of the racks I'm looking at. Not getting the top rack, just the side racks.

Here's a couple of shots of the bike. The Wolfman bags are sitting right where the racks would put them. It surely seems like it would work.

MCRIDER1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #8174
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCRIDER1959 View Post
Looks like that set up would work just fine. Still have plenty of room to move around when you need to. Glad to see someone else using the KLX for dual sport riding and camping too.
That's what I was thinking. Thanks. Doubt I would buy all of this stuff now, as there's surely a cheaper option, but since I already own it I think it will work out great.

My plan for this bike is a bit of everything. A few trips, dual sporting, back road playing, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #8175
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post

Good looking setup. I tried touring on my KLX with saddlebags but without a rack, saddlebags just resting on the number plate. After about 50 miles of freway the guy behind me flagged me down 'cause I was trailing smoke - the heavy bags and softening number plate were melting away on the exhaust! Doh! So, uh, use racks.

That said I have a set of smaller bags that are a permanent fixture on my bike and they ride just fine on the (replaced) number plate, but they're not heavy like the big bags were.

Back to the tour - I was in company with a KLR650s and the KLX kept up just fine. The interstate at 65-70 was a bit exhausting, getting blown around by trucks and all, but off the pavement on the sandy backroads I was floating along where the KLRs were struggling. So the KLX is competent for DS riding for sure.