Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #8431
ohenry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
It's a 35 minute video...where's the part with the 85 mph readout? What kind of rpm were you running at 85 mph? I'm wondering how accurate that speed readout is. I too believe in the 13T front sprocket, but I even add a 47 over the 42 OEM rear sprocket...not that concerned with 6th gear top speed as I mainly use the bike off road.
9 minutes in
Old 09-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #8432
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,178
ohenry, if your KLX speedo is anything like on my '09 it's about 10% over. 85 = 76/77. I think of that feature as an anti speeding ticket safety.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #8433
drm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry View Post
I installed a 13 sprocket yesterday and it is so much better than the stock 14!
Check put this video speedo still shows 85 and just better all around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re-Yl...ature=youtu.be

Ohenry
man oh man how many rpms? 10k?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #8434
ohenry
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Kawasaki for the 10%!
85 Mph at 9500 rpm it was on a slight hill. With 500 rpm left I think it can do more.
Why does anyone keep the 14 tooth? Once you go 13 you will never go back!

Ohenry
Old 09-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #8435
Edwards
Gravel Eddie

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Thanks Kawasaki for the 10%!

Ohenry
The KLX250 is a better dirt bike with the 13 tooth for sure. With the 14 tooth (stock rear) I can for the most part keep up with my 650 buddies on dual sport rides on fast forest service roads and two lane highways (obviously I am faster on the nasty stuff with the lighter bike). With the 13 tooth, no way, the little guy is winding out way too much and just cant keep up. It may not be something you notice until running hard and fast. I use the best of both worlds and switch between the 13 and 14 depending on conditions. Love the 13 for climbing hills!
Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:52 AM   #8436
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,502
Quote:

Ohenry
I keep it for the same reason named above. Too many rpm's at speed. I'm sure the bike can do it, but it feels like it's already revving pretty high over 60mph actual.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:49 AM   #8437
FIDOLLAZ
Dirty D

Oddometer: 740
anyone have a stock sf front rotor & the bracket for the caliper?
FIDOLLAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #8438
FIDOLLAZ
Dirty D

Oddometer: 740
kenda k761 first impression, instant predictable traction on the street
FIDOLLAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #8439
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,028
Yeah I dunno what's up with my rear Trakmaster either. Oh well it's gone. Replaced by the MT43, which is a helluva cool tire. Feels like a street tire on asphalt, and feels like a heck of a dirt tire in dirt. Up front I think I'm gonna try a Pirelli XCMH next, once the Trakmaster wears down a bit more.

Regarding that gentle weaving somebody posted about -- my DR650 started doing this after installing a Shinko 244 front. Even the KLX does it a little bit with that Trakmaster. I'm guessing that it's the tire.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #8440
ohenry
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I keep it for the same reason named above. Too many rpm's at speed. I'm sure the bike can do it, but it feels like it's already revving pretty high over 60mph actual.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Oh yeah I am doing only local back roads and trails. I had a TE250 before this bike so I am OK with vibes for short spells. While I was hitting the trails I used to on the 14 and it rips up them even dogging it down low and it is so happy.
I will hold onto the 14 just in case. Thanks!

Ohenry
Old 09-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #8441
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post
While your talking tires............ I have a '13 KLX250S, bought used with 46 miles on it. It has a slight rhythmic weaving back and forth just a bit like the bike is swinging back and forth underneath me at 20 mph + or -.
I looked for looseness in the steering head bearings, wheel bearings etc all seems fine. When I first felt it was on a gravel road so I thought is was weaving in the loose gravel but that wasn't it. Then I felt it on pavement as well. I am assuming it is the blocks on the tires flexing, 25 psi rear and 22 front per the manual. I had a set of Kenda's that felt similar but at higher speeds on a DRZ. it is not unnerving but noticeable . Anybody else notice this with stock tires??
Yes!
I bought a 2012 w/ 800 miles on it and it exhibits the same behavior. I also checked the steering head and found it OK. To me it feels like the steering head is too tight, not loose, but it is neither.

It's a funky feeling and I hope your idea of it being the tires is right as that's an easy fix. The stock tires are crap IMO on anything that looks like dirt.
'11 Vespa GTS300
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #8442
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
Is this motor/frame based in any way on the KLX 250-300s of old? I just bought a well used KLX 300 today, and have been unable to find much about it here or on any other site. A little on Thumpertalk, but seems mostly overlooked even there. First impressions are its light, slow, torquey, slow, but handles great with decent brakes. It feels much lighter than the KLX 250 S, no starter or battery, no rack, etc. Any advice to find a thread or website for it?
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #8443
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgas View Post
Is this motor/frame based in any way on the KLX 250-300s of old? I just bought a well used KLX 300 today, and have been unable to find much about it here or on any other site. A little on Thumpertalk, but seems mostly overlooked even there. First impressions are its light, slow, torquey, slow, but handles great with decent brakes. It feels much lighter than the KLX 250 S, no starter or battery, no rack, etc. Any advice to find a thread or website for it?
Search this forum for a thread started by "ironbrewer" on the KLX300. The 250S and 300 are very, very similar in the engine...nearly everything interchanges. The '06/'07 are very similar to the 300 overall...suspension components, suspension travel, and other stuff.
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:27 AM   #8444
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
TNC, thanks for the info. I picked the bike up yesterday about 5pm, worked on it from 9 until 3am, added barkbusters and new bars, changed the oil, checked the filter, adjusted ergonomics, cleaned the leaky fork seals, adjusted the chain, aired the worn out tires, tightened all the loose bolts and nuts, typing this at about 4am, meeting a riding buddy at 8am for some semi-gnarly singletrack riding. Yep, I'm addicted to dirt bikes. And this website it seems. I ordered parts for my GasGas 2 stroke which aren't gonna make it by the weekend like the shop suggested, so the KLX will have to be my scoot for todays ride and also for working on club trail this weekend.

It runs great, but sounds like the cam chain is rattling pretty bad. Hope it holds together for the weekend. Do these bikes have loud/rattly camchains as a rule? Does the cam chain adjuster get maxed out, causing rhe top end rattle? I'm fairly sure its the cam chain, compression is good, bike starts easily, good power, feels and sounds tight in the motor dept. other than a constant rattle that goes up and down in sound with revs, but doesn't get extremely loud with revs. The rattle is about the same at idle and high rpm. Sounds about like an XR 600 with a lot of miles/hrs, although this bike seems to be fairly low hr bike. Not abused, but neglected.

Pissed off the neighbors I'm sure by riding it around the yard at 3am, but good neighbors should be asleep when idiot dirt bike guys like me is test riding a new scoot, thereby not bothered by me. Oh yeah, the stock baffle is gone so its a bit loud.

My main comparison is a pretty stock DRZ 400 E. So far it seems that this little 300 is not too much slower in acceleration than the 400, has a much better spaced 6 speed gearbox, and is lighter and handles better. About equal suspension. On first comparison the KLX 300 is getting kept, the DRZ 400 is getting sold. Going to do more comparo first, I'll post back with info.

Anyone know the lighting output of a KLX 300?
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #8445
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,325
jgas, Mark Krieger makes an excellent, inexpensive manual cam chain adjuster for the KLX250/300 series. It's not uncommon for the auto-adjuster to do a poor job of keeping slack out of the chain. We used my KLX as the test bed for the manual adjuster, and many KLX owners are using them with great success.

On parts interchange between the 300 and 250, I'm running the 300 cylinder and piston with my 250 head with excellent results. They're basically the same engine.
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote