User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #8746
GS Yinzer
Go Stillers

Oddometer: 35
thinking KLX

since i am not really a "power hungry"guy... the klx does sound like just the ticket for getting out and about and hitting some trails. another thing, the route i take into pittsburgh for work has constant construction and it's nice to have the option to take "alternate" routes. next day off, i might take you up on your offer. i always enjoy heading to east liverpool and can make a day of it. ever been to harker's in east liverpool for their fish sandwich? it's literally the size of your forearm.
GS Yinzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #8747
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,832
I've never heard of Harkers, I'll have to remember that one. I'm a bit farther south of Liverpool, just run 22 straight across to steubenville. It doesn't matter much to me, just let me know when and where. If you want to come here and grab the klx I could just take either my xr or my girlfriend's 250 and make a day of it.

I'm working 6-10's right now on night shift, I'm free on sunday afternoons. That might change, there's talk about working straight through for a few weeks. We could plan for a Sunday ride, but there's a chance I'd have to back out. Otherwise it's hard to say. I'm a boilermaker and work the power plant outages around Pittsburgh, currently in shippingport PA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #8748
Faol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I found a 2012 KLX250S at a dealer and asked for OTD pricing. The listed cost is $3,980, but the quoted price is $4,608.

This is the breakdown he quoted:

$3,980 - bike
$275.60 - GA Title Tax
$259 - Doc Fee
$47 - Electronic Title & Temp Registration
$38 - Paper title and metal tag

How much of this is crap?

Thanks.
Faol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #8749
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faol View Post
I found a 2012 KLX250S at a dealer and asked for OTD pricing. The listed cost is $3,980, but the quoted price is $4,608.

This is the breakdown he quoted:

$3,980 - bike
$275.60 - GA Title Tax
$259 - Doc Fee
$47 - Electronic Title & Temp Registration
$38 - Paper title and metal tag

How much of this is crap?

Thanks.
That's about $25 more than I paid for my 2012 a few months ago.

Is it a new leftover or used? Mine was a leftover model, still new. If it's new that's a great price, if used I'd keep looking.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #8750
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
I'd say the doc fee is crap but that is how dealers make their dosh.

I have finally come to the point where a couple hundred here or there doesn't crush a deal. I now giggle when the "great deal" to save a few quid results in a six hour round trip in a pickup that gets 10mpg. I have several friends who still fall into this habit with bike/car/boat shopping. I've done it too. Silly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm tight, very frugal, and some might say cheap...but I refuse to stumble over pennies getting to dollars. Time is very valuable. You could save a thousand buying used, easy. But then again, is a used one there and ready now? Are you willing to watch and wait? Lots of dealers in the southeast with new-old-stock on the cheap right now. A few used ones listed here in FM. Research a few alternatives.

I'm emotional about motorbikes...

...Buy it
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #8751
Faol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
That's about $25 more than I paid for my 2012 a few months ago.

Is it a new leftover or used? Mine was a leftover model, still new. If it's new that's a great price, if used I'd keep looking.

It is used with 2,100 miles on it.
Faol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #8752
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Ultimate Cycle (Richmond, VA) is selling brand assed new ones for $3995. Look into used unless you're in a hurry.

Just saw a 2009 with 2200 miles go for $2600.00 with rear rack, FMF pipe, jet kit, D606 knobs, barkbusters and in good shape. Saw a 2010 for $2900, bone stock. 2006 KLXs on the FM page for good price and a 2009 KLXsm for really good price even you shipped it.
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #8753
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faol View Post
It is used with 2,100 miles on it.
I'd pass. I did some very aggressive oil changes at first and I think it paid off. Had metal shavings in the filter at 75 miles, again at 250, and more at 500. I'm due for a 1500 mile change now, hopefully it's clean so I can back off the interval a bit.

The manual calls for 500 then again at 7500. Knowing that I'd run from any 'dealer maintained' bike at the very least.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #8754
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,476
KLX 650 footpeg mount

Stop me before I mod again! This one was kinda cool and simple though, a bolt on job. As I've mentioned I've moved the footpegs backwards about two inches to get a bit more room on the bike. The left side was pretty straight forward - the peg mount was cut off and re-welded onto the kickstand bracket. The right side was a bit of a mess though and involved drilling a hole in the frame. It's worked fine until I installed the kickstarter and found that kickstart lever whacked into the re-located footpeg mount. So I was trying to figure out how to put said mount back into its original holes and cut and lengthen it so as to move the footpeg back. While looking on ebay for a new mount I saw the ones for the KLX650. They looked longer! After some chatter on the KLX650 thread it looked like a possible good fit. So I bought one for $25 or so from a guy down near St. George (UT). It showed up a couple days ago and I bolted it on yesterday. And by golly, it does bolt right on, and it almost works perfectly. Below are some pics and you may be able to tell but it's about a half inch further forward than the left peg, it's not exactly perpendicular to the plane of the bike, and it sticks out a bit farther that the stock mount. But hey, its close! With some heating and bending I may (with skilled assistance) be able to coax it into a better position. As it sits though it's not bad, definitely ridable.

So, if anyone has a desire to move their pegs backwards this might be a good place to start. Bolt on a KLX650 peg mount and then line up the left side to match. Be careful however to preserve wrench access to the rocker arm pivot bolt. The right side bracket can be removed but that left side will be welded in place - unless someone can figure out a bolt-on solution. Actually the KLX650 bolts to that side with a small bracket that appears to fit over the rocker arm pivot bolt. Maybe that would work on the 250 - with some modification. Anyway here's what it looks like:

Old 11-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #8755
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Has anyone put the highway dirt bike hand guards on their klx? I'm going to replace the stock handlebars with a set of pro taper SE CR high bars. While I'm doing that I want to add the hand guards as well. I have a set of bark busters on my klr 250, but the highway dirt bike ones look extremely well built. If anyone has these hand guards on your bike which top clamp did you go with? Pictures of your set up would be great as well, Thanks Fred.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #8756
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Ron View Post
Good stuff, Guido, but I wonder if your license plate bracket will start flapping and break?
Well Ron, I took the wee beastie out for a test ride yesterday and snuck off into an old quarry just down the road. The license plate bracket lasted, oh, maybe two bumps. I heard this graunching sound and stopped and looked back to see what it was and the bracket was bent all the way back under the fender. I should have taken a picture but I was somewhere where I really shouldn't have been so a bent it back and beat feet on home. During the re-bend one of the struts broke so it's back to the drawing board. Looks like my Eclectic Cafe sticker is going to get some holes drilled in it.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #8757
gtackett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
So, is there a common or "best" setup for relocating the lisc plate up higher? First time i went off road i saw where the plate was rubbing the tire.

Mine came w/ an after market brake light and lisc plate holder w/ LED lights for the turn signals but it is all universal and will take some modifying.
gtackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #8758
drm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994klr250 View Post
Has anyone put the highway dirt bike hand guards on their klx? I'm going to replace the stock handlebars with a set of pro taper SE CR high bars. While I'm doing that I want to add the hand guards as well. I have a set of bark busters on my klr 250, but the highway dirt bike ones look extremely well built. If anyone has these hand guards on your bike which top clamp did you go with? Pictures of your set up would be great as well, Thanks Fred.

I have hdb guards on mine with stock bars. The top clamp is a 90x33/35mm. It required a cutout for the key. Paul sent a clamp to markup, cut it, and sent it back

Old 11-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #8759
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by drm View Post
I have hdb guards on mine with stock bars. The top clamp is a 90x33/35mm. It required a cutout for the key. Paul sent a clamp to markup, cut it, and sent it back

Thanks drm, those look great on the klx.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #8760
Ranger Ron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGuido View Post
Well Ron, I took the wee beastie out for a test ride yesterday and snuck off into an old quarry just down the road. The license plate bracket lasted, oh, maybe two bumps. I heard this graunching sound and stopped and looked back to see what it was and the bracket was bent all the way back under the fender. I should have taken a picture but I was somewhere where I really shouldn't have been so a bent it back and beat feet on home. During the re-bend one of the struts broke so it's back to the drawing board. Looks like my Eclectic Cafe sticker is going to get some holes drilled in it.
You were luckier than I was.
I never did find my plate. Of course, I didn't want to back track 40 miles, either! I had to apply for a new plate...

Ron
Ranger Ron is offline   Reply With Quote