Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2006, 03:34 PM   #91
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobiman
Hey all, just thought I'd chime in here. We bought a KLX 250 also, for my wife to ride. I ride a KTM LC4 and she wanted to be able to go along too. I am having to set it up for her height (5' 2") by using Kouba links and running the forks up into the trees about .6" and that gets her pretty close. Today I will be pulling the cover off of the seat in order to remove about an inch from the foam before re-applying the cover, which should be the final step in the quest for proper seat height for her. We only have about 200 miles on it so far, but it seems perfect for her power wise. I personally dont see how anyone with any experience on a motorcycle could be satisfied with the power output of this bike, its pretty anemic. But I'm not riding it, and she loves it so I guess thats definately what matters the most. We'll be glad when FMF builds a pipe for it so we can uncork this terribly restricted little bike. I think it has alot of potential for increased power gains. Until then, we will just ride the heck out of it.

Randy.
I agree that the bike could stand to be uncorked. Muzzy and Big Gun make full systems that will fit as does Staintune. I'll be fitting one of these as soon as I solve the fuel tank challenge. I don't want to do anything to take away from the MPG until then.

Don't judge it too harshly until you've had a chance to really ring it out. It makes good power above 6K RPM even in stock trim. Also remember this bike is geared for the street. Drop a tooth up front and things get a lot nicer offroad.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:24 PM   #92
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones
His post says 0.6" not 6"
Thanks 30Bones!

Got the seat cut down this evening but I dont have the cover stretched back over yet. Here's how much I cut off.
Attached Images

Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:30 PM   #93
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys, I didnt know that there was already an exhaust system developed for this little rascal . I'll start looking into it!

Randy.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:10 AM   #94
compman21234
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones
His post says 0.6" not 6"
Damn, tired old eyes screwed me up again.....
2006 KLX250
compman21234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:27 AM   #95
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Before you guys start spending hundreds of $ on pipes and performance parts, have you done, or confirmed that the same free hopups can be done as the KLX300 ? Has anyone taken off their 1" crankcase vent and found a plug with a 1/8" hole in it ? These are where you will get the biggest gains and they are free ! After that you can spend another $800-1000 on a pumper carb & head pipe if you have more money than you know what to do with.
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 08:18 AM   #96
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gybeman
Before you guys start spending hundreds of $ on pipes and performance parts, have you done, or confirmed that the same free hopups can be done as the KLX300 ? Has anyone taken off their 1" crankcase vent and found a plug with a 1/8" hole in it ? These are where you will get the biggest gains and they are free ! After that you can spend another $800-1000 on a pumper carb & head pipe if you have more money than you know what to do with.
The KLX250S has a different crank vent setup than the KLX300R. The 250 already has in effect what results from doing the mod on the 300. In fact, the entire airbox setup is very different between the two bikes due to the fact that the street legal 250 has to have an air injection system grafted on to it for the EPA.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
Old 01-04-2006, 08:31 AM   #97
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
The KLX250S has a different crank vent setup than the KLX300R. The 250 already has in effect what results from doing the mod on the 300. In fact, the entire airbox setup is very different between the two bikes due to the fact that the street legal 250 has to have an air injection system grafted on to it for the EPA.
Can you explain what you are saying? re: 'The 250 already has in effect what results from doing the mod on the 300.'

I'm saying the 1" crank vent hose to the airbox is restricted internally by a plug which only has a 1/8" hole in it. This in effect causes a crankcase pressure & vacumm because it can't breath fast enough at higher rpm. Remove the plug and voila... it revs freer.
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:58 AM   #98
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Quote:
Can you explain what you are saying? re: 'The 250 already has in effect what results from doing the mod on the 300.'

I'm saying the 1" crank vent hose to the airbox is restricted internally by a plug which only has a 1/8" hole in it. This in effect causes a crankcase pressure & vacumm because it can't breath fast enough at higher rpm. Remove the plug and voila... it revs freer.
The plug's not there on the 250 and the hose is already routed the way it's suggested to do it in the mod documentation for the 300.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

bmwhd screwed with this post 01-04-2006 at 10:42 PM
Old 01-04-2006, 08:09 PM   #99
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Is there any thing else that is considered a quick fix such as the item(s) above folks? These are the kinds of things that usually make as big of a difference as anything, as was so well put already by Gybeman.

I'm all ears

Randy.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:41 PM   #100
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Well I got the seat cover back on tonite, first seat re-do for me. Hopefully my last, that seat cover re-install is a bitch. It was worth it though. I have now taken a full 2" out of the seat height for the little woman. Factory specs say it has a 34.8 seat height, I'm now measuring 32.7 on ours.

I checked on the exhaust's mentioned above and the only one that gave a price was Big Gun, was'nt too bad either at $474.00 for a full exhaust system. I would prefer an FMF Powerbomb system so we will probably wait around to see if they come up with one for the little 250.

After I got the seat re-installed, I decided to take it out to the track behind the house for a spin. We've got almost 200 miles on it now so I thought I would see what it was made of. Now I am 6'2" and weigh 220 lbs so I was'nt very convinced that this sucker would pull me around very well. It took me a lap and a half to get used to the non-exsistant bottom end, but after I started really pushing the rpm's, I could feel the front end starting to get a little light coming out of the corners! After 4-5 laps, I got more than a few wheelie's, Ya just have to abuse the hell out of the clutch and the rpm's. After that, I figured I'd better chill since we really bought this for her and I was being pretty hard on it, so I cruised back to the house with a smile on my face and had some new respect for the KLX Two-Five-Zero.

Catch ya later, Randy.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:45 AM   #101
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobiman
Well I got the seat cover back on tonite, first seat re-do for me. Hopefully my last, that seat cover re-install is a bitch. It was worth it though. I have now taken a full 2" out of the seat height for the little woman. Factory specs say it has a 34.8 seat height, I'm now measuring 32.7 on ours.

I checked on the exhaust's mentioned above and the only one that gave a price was Big Gun, was'nt too bad either at $474.00 for a full exhaust system. I would prefer an FMF Powerbomb system so we will probably wait around to see if they come up with one for the little 250.

After I got the seat re-installed, I decided to take it out to the track behind the house for a spin. We've got almost 200 miles on it now so I thought I would see what it was made of. Now I am 6'2" and weigh 220 lbs so I was'nt very convinced that this sucker would pull me around very well. It took me a lap and a half to get used to the non-exsistant bottom end, but after I started really pushing the rpm's, I could feel the front end starting to get a little light coming out of the corners! After 4-5 laps, I got more than a few wheelie's, Ya just have to abuse the hell out of the clutch and the rpm's. After that, I figured I'd better chill since we really bought this for her and I was being pretty hard on it, so I cruised back to the house with a smile on my face and had some new respect for the KLX Two-Five-Zero.

Catch ya later, Randy.

Post a pic of the seat if you get a chance.

Here are a couple of pipes available right now that will fit:

FMF

FMF Powercore

FMF Racing

And my favorite, the Muzzy

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

Old 01-06-2006, 07:56 PM   #102
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

I took an inch out of the flat portion of the seat and feathered it back to point 4" from the seat back and about 3" up into the rise going up the tank. So it not only lowered the overall seat height but also allows her to get a bit closer to the tank.
Attached Images

Nobiman screwed with this post 01-06-2006 at 08:20 PM
Old 01-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #103
tipstall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Nobiman
Looks like you removed the seat strap.

bmwhd
The back box looks great, nice job. This bike is on the top of my list.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:06 PM   #104
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Yea, I never have figured out why they put those darn seat straps on in the first place. It came off of the bike before it was an hour old.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:18 PM   #105
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Bmwhd, all of the pipes that you listed above dont include anything above year '04 and 1 of them says up to an '01. Are they the same and if so why dont they say it'll fit up to an '06? Im ready to buy one but I'm gonna make sure before I do, so I sent 2 of the sellers a message inquiring about their products.

I actually would prefer to buy one of the "packages" that include a Full Power Bomb exhaust kit, a jet kit and intake modification instructions if I can locate one. Ive been surfing around a bit looking for this but have yet to find anything listing the 2006 model.

Thanks for the info.

Randy.