Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2006, 08:12 PM   #106
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobiman
Yea, I never have figured out why they put those darn seat straps on in the first place.
I have been told it is has regulatory roots. For example while my V-Strom has no strap, it has passenger grab handles. "They" say there is supposed to be some kind of passenger handle. So if 2 manly men are aboard, and the one riding bitch doesn't want to hold the belly of the 'driver', he can still be safe!?!?
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 05:08 PM   #107
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Wow hasnt this thread generated some interest, I'm really enjoying reading about this little green meanie. I'm still waiting on my local dealer to ring me and tell me the bike is in stock. For you american viewers I found an acerbis big tank on ebay for sale, have a look at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWAS...WDVWQQtcZphoto if your interested.
I am interested in any seat lowering tips as I have short legs even though I am 5' 7", so keep it coming guys, I'm off to look up that suspension link thingie, keep up the good work
MaverickAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 05:59 PM   #108
BigPines
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobiman
Is there any thing else that is considered a quick fix such as the item(s) above folks? These are the kinds of things that usually make as big of a difference as anything, as was so well put already by Gybeman.

I'm all ears

Randy.
Hey guys:
I checked the crank case vent tube for a restriction device, none found, but the inlet the the airbox does have a restriction. I didn't dig into it any farther until I change the jetting when I remove the snorkle. I expect that restriction to be part of the crank case breather system. looks lke the front half of the air box contains the CC breather and is seperated from the rear half that contains the filter. I'll check it out in depth when I tear into it. I would be caustious to mess with the breather, cause one could end up with lots of oil carry-over from the crank case.
Also, When someone gets a pipe plaese let us all know how the performance is. Even though I love this bike ( it's like having a 4-stroke road legal KDX) it could use a to be uncorked a bit.
Regards
DDF
BigPines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:34 PM   #109
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Also, When someone gets a pipe please let us all know how the performance is. Even though I love this bike ( it's like having a 4-stroke road legal KDX) it could use a to be uncorked a bit.
Regards
DDF

I have yet to have anybody answer my E-mails. I have tried to contact FMF and Big Gun to verify what year model thier products cover. I'm starting to get a little peeved about the lack of response from these companies. A new bike with no Bling is a terrible thing!

Randy.
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:02 PM   #110
compman21234
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid
I have been told it is has regulatory roots. For example while my V-Strom has no strap, it has passenger grab handles. "They" say there is supposed to be some kind of passenger handle. So if 2 manly men are aboard, and the one riding bitch doesn't want to hold the belly of the 'driver', he can still be safe!?!?
In this case, there are two grab handles on the rear rack, directly behind the "manly" passenger -- and even that would probably be preferable to holding the driver's shoulders, or even belly -- as opposed to your hands holding a grab strap UNDER the driver's butt!

I took my strap off right away, too, FWIW.
2006 KLX250
compman21234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:03 AM   #111
Mr.Grumpy
Banned

Oddometer: 2,439
OK, I have to admit that I'm a little lost on this whole deal. Despite my promise to my better half I can't go without a dual sport this year and I have been looking at diferent bikes and reading diferent threads and articles and what-not.
What purpose does this bike serve? (Unless every one in your group has a 250cc 4t dual sport)
It isn't as strong on the road as a 500cc+ DS would be, although it's nice to hear that the 6-speed 250 feels LESS like it will fall apart than the 5-speed 400 at similar speeds!
It's kinda lighter than other factory dual sports for the woods, but at about the same weight as a DRZ-e (considered to be too porky to really use in the woods by people who consider such things) it's not all that light.
It holds a LOT less gas than a KLR250.
It's a wicked old design which, despite what I had initaly hoped does NOT look like it can be plug-and-played with established KLX300 hop-up parts.
Sure, it's factory legal, but I got a factory legal DRZ and every one else was riding a modified dirt bike so it CAN be done, even here in the people's republik. IF you wanted a 250 wouldn't a converted off-road 250 be better?
If it HAS to be factory legal, doesn't the new Husky 250 make the whole point moot (or even a KTM250) or is the KLX THAT much less expensive (I realld don't know)?

I'm TRYING to love this bike but I just can't wrap myself around it. Straighten me out fellas.
Mr.Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:55 AM   #112
BigPines
Adventurer

Laugh

I don't feel that anyone is trying to say the KLX250S is ultimatley superb and all other DS's should be tossed away. Motorcycles are VERY subjective in everyway. No one manufacture produces the perfect bike. I guess that whats keeps us all so interested.
I researched many options before going with the KLX250S. Everything from a XR650L to a DR250S. I was very close to a DRZ as well, but as you stated I could not wrap my arms around it, don't know why as I know it's a great bike!
Here is Wisonsin the options are very narrow for DS bikes. Ya you can get a true enduro from a different state, or take it to another state that will license/title it and go through all the other hassels along with putting on a $500.00 DS lightinging kit and hope it all transfers. It's getting more and more dificult to do this process. . All in all in can be a real pain!
As I mentioned above I like the KLX as it like more previous KDX only street legal. For me It's a great bike and will provide many years of enjoyment!
At the end of the day, lets just all go riding and have a ball no matter what we ride!
Don
Old 01-08-2006, 09:13 AM   #113
Mr.Grumpy
Banned

Oddometer: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPines
I don't feel that anyone is trying to say the KLX250S is ultimatley superb and all other DS's should be tossed away. Motorcycles are VERY subjective in everyway. No one manufacture produces the perfect bike. I guess that whats keeps us all so interested.
I researched many options before going with the KLX250S. Everything from a XR650L to a DR250S. I was very close to a DRZ as well, but as you stated I could not wrap my arms around it, don't know why as I know it's a great bike!
Here is Wisonsin the options are very narrow for DS bikes. Ya you can get a true enduro from a different state, or take it to another state that will license/title it and go through all the other hassels along with putting on a $500.00 DS lightinging kit and hope it all transfers. It's getting more and more dificult to do this process. . All in all in can be a real pain!
As I mentioned above I like the KLX as it like more previous KDX only street legal. For me It's a great bike and will provide many years of enjoyment!
At the end of the day, lets just all go riding and have a ball no matter what we ride!
Don
It IS Subjective as hell isn't it? I don't think that any one is trying to sell or convince any one else about this bike. It seems to be a great bike. I guess I was just curious as to thought proceses that led to it. Some places it IS more dificult to get a plate than others though. I got an "s" instead of an "e" because of this. Then I found out tht every one else had "e"s and if I had a litle patience and persaverance I could have had a better trail bike at a cheper price.
It's all theoretical any way since I'm going to wind up with whatever rat-trap <$1k DS I can get my hands on any way.....
Mr.Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 12:52 PM   #114
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,705
It's gotten impossible to get an off road bike licensed in Nebraska, Iowa, and many other states. And it's just going to get worse throughout the country.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:11 PM   #115
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
A couple of reasons this was the bike for ME (subjective as hell):

1) I couldn't find a used DRZ-S for sale within 500 miles of me.

2) I wanted the 6 speed. It's easier to add power than add gears.

3) There's a great Kaw dealer 4 miles from my house.

4) I wanted street legal from the factory. DS-ing a dirt bike was not for me (personal preference, nothing more).

5) I don't find the bike underpowered for my use. However, I do plan to dsrop the C/S down to a 13t, add any of the klx300 exhausts (which are direct bolt ons) and the DJ klx300 kit (also a direct fit) once I've put a few more miles on it. I do that much to any bike I buy so I don't see that as an issue.

The bike is a blast to ride off road.

Would a KTM or Husky be better? I'd hope so for the cost difference.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:48 AM   #116
BigPines
Adventurer

Exhausts

Hey guys:
Well I'll throw another wrench into this long string.
Has anyone experimented with openeing up the stock muffler with the airbox and jetting mods? Iv'e seen this done sucessfully with many other applications.
From my back ground ( professional and personal ) the factory exhaust systems are not as bad as we think they are. These factory pipes do have to meet regulatory emmissions and pass-by noise.
Specific outputs of the system regards to preformance are resultant of 100's of hours design analysis and testing to gain te opitnum balance for the system requirements.
Most of the aftermarket pipes don't do much except create alot more noise which feels like more ponys in the seat of the pants, but in reality can be a loss unless the entire poweretrain is modified. Remember nothing comes for free when modifying a stock engine for increased performance. If you want to make a race engine then you do it from one end to the other cause all components work togeter!
To retain the reliability while allowing the engine to "breathe" easier it's best to open the air box w/ high flow air filter, and open the exhaust slighty while retaining back pressure. This can be done by drilling a hole ( diametter dependant on the muffler) in the final restrictor plate internal to the muffler. This allows the exhaust gas to partially by-pass the normal path. resulting in increassed flow. You also pick up a few DB as well.

I've decided to do this with my bike. I don't expect any earth shattering results but it WILL breathe easier for sure. Plus I'll save myself a minimum of $300.00. I'll let you all know how works this weekend.
Don
03 FJR1300
10 Buell Uly
Old 01-09-2006, 12:20 PM   #117
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

For those very reasons, I modified the stock pipes on my Bonne rather than purchase from the aftermarket. I also wanted to minimize noise. However, on my KLX, I'm going aftermarket because I want to cut weight where ever possible. That OEM pipe with the cat is heavy compared to the aftermarket items.

Also, it seems to be well established that the KLX suffers from a restrictive header. Dinking with the muffler ain't going to help that.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
Old 01-09-2006, 01:26 PM   #118
Nobiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPines
Hey guys:
Well I'll throw another wrench into this long string.
Has anyone experimented with openeing up the stock muffler with the airbox and jetting mods? Iv'e seen this done sucessfully with many other applications.
From my back ground ( professional and personal ) the factory exhaust systems are not as bad as we think they are. These factory pipes do have to meet regulatory emmissions and pass-by noise.
Specific outputs of the system regards to preformance are resultant of 100's of hours design analysis and testing to gain te opitnum balance for the system requirements.
Most of the aftermarket pipes don't do much except create alot more noise which feels like more ponys in the seat of the pants, but in reality can be a loss unless the entire poweretrain is modified. Remember nothing comes for free when modifying a stock engine for increased performance. If you want to make a race engine then you do it from one end to the other cause all components work togeter!
To retain the reliability while allowing the engine to "breathe" easier it's best to open the air box w/ high flow air filter, and open the exhaust slighty while retaining back pressure. This can be done by drilling a hole ( diametter dependant on the muffler) in the final restrictor plate internal to the muffler. This allows the exhaust gas to partially by-pass the normal path. resulting in increassed flow. You also pick up a few DB as well.

I've decided to do this with my bike. I don't expect any earth shattering results but it WILL breathe easier for sure. Plus I'll save myself a minimum of $300.00. I'll let you all know how works this weekend.
Don
I'd be interested to know the outcome of your "Project modify the stock exhaust" comes out, but I gotta say that I agree with the above statements about weight concerns. Thats alot of dead weight and to be that high up, it would surely have a positive affect on the center of gravity by losing a few pounds there. Remember, I am trying to get this set-up for a 115 lb. novice rider, so any weight that can be saved will be that much less for her to deal with. I think the power gains will be a nice addition too. Everyone has thier own agenda and budget do deal with, but no matter what we do to these bikes, we need to get it on this thread for others to see. That way we can use what we like (I dont mind copying an idea now and then) and let the rest go.

Still no replies from the exhaust companies. Hey Bmwhd, I notice that you keep refering that the KLX 300 exhaust will fit on this bike. Is that information that you got from the exhaust company's themselves or have you already installed one of these system on your bike and know this from experience? I cant get a straight answer from anyone about this question, help a brudda out here.

Thanx, Randy.
Nobiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:07 PM   #119
bmwhd OP
God Bless Texas

I base my assumption (and we know what those can do ) that these KLX300 exhaust systems will fit on a couple of factors:

1) Hours spent going over pictures and parts drawings of both bikes. I can't see any reason why these systems wouldn't fit.

2) Second hand information from KLX250R owners in Japan and Australia that have fit these systems to their bikes with no issues. These same folks report good luck with the Dynojet KLX300 kit and the IMS KLX300 fuel tank as well (though the latter does require removal of the fan on our bikes).

It may be a year before the aftermarket figures out this bike exists (if ever) so some experimentation is in order

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

Old 01-09-2006, 02:49 PM   #120
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,519
Question:

For any of you who've ridden both the KLX250 and the KLR250 - what're the main differences? While the KLX looks thinner, leaner, meaner and more dirt worthy it seems to be actually be a few pounds heavier than the KLR. I'd imagine the suspension is better, but anything else you can tell us?
Thanks,
Dave
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote