Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2003, 04:25 PM   #31
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Quote:
Said Vagabond:
The Magura Hymec clutch for the lc4 was not intended for the Adventure or any KTM w/ switchgear on the bars...
We spoke to the folks at Magura just a few days ago and the reason some are saying it isn't intended for use on an Adventure is simple - It has no provision for the the clutch safety switch (or whatever that thing is called). That's not something I'll miss.

Thanks for the heads-up on the coming version with a sight window, though. If only February really meant February in this business...

Arch
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 04:50 PM   #32
Vagabond
Mr. Sparkle

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Said Arch:
We spoke to the folks at Magura just a few days ago and the reason some are saying it isn't intended for use on an Adventure is simple - It has no provision for the the clutch safety switch (or whatever that thing is called). That's not something I'll miss.

Thanks for the heads-up on the coming version with a sight window, though. If only February really meant February in this business...

Arch
Well, I purchased a hymec, and it didn't fit. The switchgear was in the way of the lever. I'm not going to buy an expensive clutch, and then have to modify it to make it work. I'll purchase one that will fit my bike as intended. I know that "February" really means sometime this year, but it doen't hurt to hope.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:11 PM   #33
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Quote:
Said Vagabond:
Well, I purchased a hymec, and it didn't fit. The switchgear was in the way of the lever. I'm not going to buy an expensive clutch, and then have to modify it to make it work. I'll purchase one that will fit my bike as intended. I know that "February" really means sometime this year, but it doen't hurt to hope.
Well, I'm always looking for an excuse to get my Dremel out...

Arch
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 05:42 PM   #34
Vagabond
Mr. Sparkle

Quote:
Said Arch:
Well, I'm always looking for an excuse to get my Dremel out...

Arch
At least it's not a plasma cutter
Old 02-05-2003, 04:00 PM   #35
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Thumb Update...

My Magura kit (M0120490) arrived today, so it was off to the garage to toss it onto the Adventure, and that's about how easy it was. Start to finish maybe an hour, including modifying the left switchgear to clear the Magura lever's adjuster. Takes a Dremel or even just a few nicely shaped files.

How's it work? Well, much less lever pull, much smoother feel. It's drizzling & cold at the moment, so that's all I have to report after a trip around the block. Looking forward to sampling it on an extended ride.

Old 02-05-2003, 07:37 PM   #36
flyshop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
hydraulic clutch

Hi Arch

If it's not to much trouble lets us know it works. Also if you could send a picture of the clutch at the switch location that would be helpful. I to am always looking for a reason to unholster the dremel. If it works for you it is my next winter project, need lots of project to get thru Montana winters.

Thanks for all the info
flyshop
flyshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 11:15 AM   #37
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Re: hydraulic clutch

Quote:
Said flyshop: ...If it's not to much trouble lets us know it works. Also if you could send a picture of the clutch at the switch location that would be helpful. I to am always looking for a reason to unholster the dremel. If it works for you it is my next winter project, need lots of project to get thru Montana winters.
Extended ride report will have to wait for the weather and some of life's to-dos to clear up, but it's a proven deal on zillions of other motorcycles, Katooms included, so I'm confident.

Will click a pic or two in the future. In the meantime, though, below is a pic from Magura's site. See the little red adjustment knob? That (and the area it threads into) is what requires clearance as you pull the lever in. So the street switchgear needs reshaping. Dremel, round file, etc. I have mine down to where the tips on the red knob just graze the housing and it's no issue at all. They're plastic, give easily and aren't needed to turn the knob anyway. One could just as easily shave those off and end up having to remove far less from the switchgear's housing.

I'm tellin' ya, Flyshop ... It's a piece of cake.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2003, 12:47 PM   #38
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
Arch,

Vagabond reckons that the Magura clutch is not designed for the KTM and that his didn't fit. Do I take it that yours is a KTM specific kit, as it seems to have fitted OK?
Old 02-06-2003, 03:58 PM   #39
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Quote:
Said KTiM:
Vagabond reckons that the Magura clutch is not designed for the KTM and that his didn't fit. Do I take it that yours is a KTM specific kit, as it seems to have fitted OK?
As for its being "specific", I dunno if it's listed to work on other makes & models. But its part number (120490) shows it to be for KTM LC4s, the directions say it's for LC4s, etc. However, it's not specifically built to work with switchgear that includes blinkers, horn & light controls, which is why said switchgear needs a bit of massaging. This is even mentioned in the instructions, that it can be made to work on KTMs with street switchgear. Here's what it says...

...The larger standard switch (EGS, Adventure, Duke) interferes with HYMEC'S lever functions. A crude rework of this switch will allow the clutch lever to work freely. Magura does not approve of such a switch alteration and assumes not responsibility for it.

In other words, typical lawyer-speak as they obviously can't go around recommending that folks take Dremels and files after their KTM controls! It also mentions the lack of provision for the "in gear safety start switch". Not something I care about one bit, just like I didn't install the safety-nanny harness that comes with the factory sidestand.

Old 02-06-2003, 04:00 PM   #40
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Re: hydraulic clutch

Quote:
Said flyshop: ...Also if you could send a picture of the clutch at the switch location that would be helpful. I to am always looking for a reason to unholster the dremel. If it works for you it is my next winter project, need lots of project to get thru Montana winters.
Here ya go, Flyshop! You can see the area that need's "scooping out" just aft of the red adjustment knob. It's not noticeable to anyone not specifically looking for it...
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2003, 04:03 PM   #41
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

And here's the business end, on the engine...
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2003, 05:18 PM   #42
Vagabond
Mr. Sparkle

Quote:
Said KTiM:
Arch,

Arch is correct in saying that the clutch is for an lc4, I stated that it doesn't fit the Adventure without massaging the switchgear pod. Maybe I'm a little strange, but the appearance of the "whole" bike is important to me. That's why I want an Adventure specific hymec clutch. I guess that I rode street bikes for too long.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:23 PM   #43
flyshop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Hi Arch

Sorry I did not say thanks sooner but I was gone for the day and just got home. The pictures were just what wanted to see. Thanks again!!!

I saw you picture on the lc4 comfort seat. This is just a guess but I think the reason KTM does not list a comfort seat for the Adventure is because the came up with a more comfortable stock seat on the 03 Adventure. Like I said just a guess. I do have one of the 03 seats on backorder with Holeshot part #58207040500. Will post a reply when or if it comes.

Thanks
flyshop
flyshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 10:14 PM   #44
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Quote:
Said flyshop: Sorry I did not say thanks sooner but I was gone for the day and just got home. The pictures were just what wanted to see. Thanks again!!!

Quote:
I saw you picture on the lc4 comfort seat. This is just a guess but I think the reason KTM does not list a comfort seat for the Adventure is because the came up with a more comfortable stock seat on the 03 Adventure. Like I said just a guess. I do have one of the 03 seats on backorder with Holeshot part #58207040500. Will post a reply when or if it comes.
Hey ya sure it ain't supposed to be #58207040400? Couldn't find a listing for an '03 part. FWIW, the seat on my bud's '02 model is noticeably more comfy than the one on my '01 and both take the same part number. There was talk of 'em changing the foam or something of the sort from '01 to '02, so it seems they're just selling one seat for all the latest year models. Anyway, it's now nicer than what came stock on the '01.

As for the part # ya mentioned, if that's an '03 seat, I haven't sampled one yet (we didn't get any '03s around here) so if it comes in and pleases your hinder, do tell.

Old 02-06-2003, 11:51 PM   #45
Vagabond
Mr. Sparkle

Quote:
Said flyshop:
Hi Arch

Thanks
flyshop
Hate to say it, but the '03 Adventure seat is the same seat as the '02, only the cover has changed According to my sources, the seat is better than the '01 foam, but there is still a lot to be desired. I just sent my seat to Sargent Cycle Products in Jax, Fl, and they're going to widen, dish, and square the crown on the seat. They're also going to put medium density foam on the front panel for long duration support and a layer of low density foam for the initial cushiness. Of course they are going to re-cover the seat too. This sounds like an expensive proposition, but I was quoted only $175 for everything. Considering that a local upolsterer wanted $150 just to add a layer of unshaped low density foam and re-cover the seat, Sargent is a bargain. Apparently Adventure seat complaints are pretty common because the rep I talked to at Sargent described the seat as an upolstered piece of telephone pole I'll keep you posted on the results. Arch, how are things in DFW?