Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2005, 01:27 AM   #16
BSTARD OP
Mmmmm...shiny

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog1971
Hey there BSTARD.

Ive just gotta say...... I TOLD YOU SO!!

Remember when we went on that ride I mentioned this to you as a concern.

Good to hear you held on to it and no bark removed.
Thanks.
KTM need to look at the package of what people do with their product and modify accordingly.

Are you busy over Xmas and wanna play??

Scotty
Don't poke the hive man, I have dirt....Muhahahaha

Goin down south for xmas, still get out every weekend though.

How'd the Sid's ride go?
Old 12-05-2005, 02:34 AM   #17
Lefty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
scottmoto16: By the look of the picture you have the new forks. Have you just removed one of the discs? If so have you noticed any loss in breaking power?
The black fender looks really good btw.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:46 AM   #18
scottmoto16
Scooter Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,076
Same forks , just with Carbon look protective stickers on the upper forks.

Yes , have just removed one (right side) disc

Some loss in braking performance , but still strong enough to stand bike on its nose on the road , and more than strong enough off road.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:28 AM   #19
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
I wish I could remember where the thread was, but it was a long time ago... pretty sure it was some 950 folks, but since you have the 950s front end it should be about the same.

A european (pretty sure) used some aluminum stock to make a spacer to raise the low guard up perhaps 3cm or so. I think it depends on how much play the crossover brake line has (or you could get a longer one made pretty cheaply). Just a couple of bits between the guard mount points and the guard was about it. Just take a gander at yours and you should see what I am referring to.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:00 AM   #20
scottmoto16
Scooter Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,076
Remember reading somewhere here , about raising the front guard up slightly.

I think you have to be carefull of clearance issues with the guard and the lower triple clamp , on full compresion of the forks.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:13 PM   #21
braaap!
waiting for the big one

Oddometer: 2,319
Osmotic changes at KTM?

BSTARD, seems like KTM have taken some feedback on board and started to make some changes...

on the new 990, two lines run up - no cross-over line! Still that damn dangerous low guard though!

The '06 640 shows the old setup, but I wouldn't be suprised to see the above appear sooner or later... they must still need to clear some parts buckets at Mattinghoffen

thanks for the Goodridge info.... this weekend's lil' project
braaap! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 01:09 AM   #22
BSTARD OP
Mmmmm...shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
I wish I could remember where the thread was, but it was a long time ago... pretty sure it was some 950 folks, but since you have the 950s front end it should be about the same.

A european (pretty sure) used some aluminum stock to make a spacer to raise the low guard up perhaps 3cm or so. I think it depends on how much play the crossover brake line has (or you could get a longer one made pretty cheaply). Just a couple of bits between the guard mount points and the guard was about it. Just take a gander at yours and you should see what I am referring to.
Thanks Meat, but the guards gotta go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braaap!
BSTARD, seems like KTM have taken some feedback on board and started to make some changes...

on the new 990, two lines run up - no cross-over line! Still that damn dangerous low guard though!

The '06 640 shows the old setup, but I wouldn't be suprised to see the above appear sooner or later... they must still need to clear some parts buckets at Mattinghoffen

thanks for the Goodridge info.... this weekend's lil' project
No recall yet, I'll keep checkin though.
http://dynamic.dotars.gov.au/recalls...ory=Motorbikes
NOTE: The recall on the 640 front wheels is for 01,02 and 03 models only, we all knew that right?

Keep us posted on ya "lil project". Wonder if Goodridge do orange braided lines.....mmmmm

BSTARD screwed with this post 12-06-2005 at 01:18 AM
BSTARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 01:42 AM   #23
braaap!
waiting for the big one

Oddometer: 2,319
http://www.h-e-l.co.uk/HEL_Performan...es_Brake.htm#4

have orange covers...
braaap! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 04:01 AM   #24
Trevor S
Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTARD
I have seen information on this forum about front wheel lock-up caused by mud and the cross-over brake line/low guard on 04-05Adventures.
I must admit to being bemused by this.... would you ride a GSX-R1000 in conditions that did not suit it and then blame Suzuki ?

I can't believe anyone seriosuly thinks the stock guard can handle mud ? I changed it out before I even took delivery of my KTM 640 Adv ... I rode miles of black soil last weekend (had dried out for about 3 hours so we were able to get through, just) with mud nearly the entire thickness of the high guard, the low guard would have been a joke.

Running the low guard is fine but you HAVE to re-do the brake lines so you can unbolt it as soon as you see mud. In your situation, after I slapped myself in the head for not getting a high guard I would have stopped, removed both front calipers cable tied 'em to the handle bars and taken the guard off before I got into the mud...either that or turned around.

I really can't see how you can blame KTM ???? Sure the design sucks... and they shoudl have kept the '03 front end... but I have yet to come across a bike that doesn't have something about it that sucks.. and this is pretty minor IMO.
Trevor S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:09 AM   #25
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Thanks Meat, but the guards gotta go.

No recall yet, I'll keep checkin though.
http://dynamic.dotars.gov.au/recalls...ory=Motorbikes
NOTE: The recall on the 640 front wheels is for 01,02 and 03 models only, we all knew that right?

Keep us posted on ya "lil project". Wonder if Goodridge do orange braided lines.....mmmmm
up to you, but those who bumped their front guard up an inch or so reported zero problems after that.

and don't you newer fellas have the Excel front rim already?

Old 12-07-2005, 03:35 AM   #26
BSTARD OP
Mmmmm...shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor S
I must admit to being bemused by this.... would you ride a GSX-R1000 in conditions that did not suit it and then blame Suzuki ?

I can't believe anyone seriosuly thinks the stock guard can handle mud ? I changed it out before I even took delivery of my KTM 640 Adv ... I rode miles of black soil last weekend (had dried out for about 3 hours so we were able to get through, just) with mud nearly the entire thickness of the high guard, the low guard would have been a joke.

Running the low guard is fine but you HAVE to re-do the brake lines so you can unbolt it as soon as you see mud. In your situation, after I slapped myself in the head for not getting a high guard I would have stopped, removed both front calipers cable tied 'em to the handle bars and taken the guard off before I got into the mud...either that or turned around.

I really can't see how you can blame KTM ???? Sure the design sucks... and they shoudl have kept the '03 front end... but I have yet to come across a bike that doesn't have something about it that sucks.. and this is pretty minor IMO.

Everyone's got one(an opinion), and yours has been noted.

I was going to leave it at that but narrrrrrrrr.

GSX-R1000
WTF, Lets keep the apples with the apples and the oranges with the oranges shall we!

This is the only pic in the brochure with the 640A on the dirt. They say a picture tells a thousand words, is this KTM's way of telling the consumer that in order to ride this particular motorcycle on the dirt you need to mod it to this state?

KTM's words from the 2005 brochure.
"Wherever in the world strange continents, lonely desert expanses or wild
jungle trails - the KTM 640 Adventure is the ultimate, single cylinder
travel motorcycle."
I understand that this is advertising hype, and no I don't believe everything I read, but none of the information I'd seen or been told before I purchased my "dual-sport" bike with 300mm of suspension travel said that it should not be taken on any road that may contain mud. If only I possessed your magnificent level of foresight.....can I have the lotto numbers?

The reason I started this thread was to let others know that yes it is a problem. Could you please point out the part where I blamed KTM for this? If KTM knows this to be a problem they should sell the bike with either a high guard already installed or an optional kit. If they don't know this to be a problem then we as consumers of their product need to tell em, otherwise nothing will change. If KTM isn't responsible for the stuff they design and sell then who the fuck is? How many years did they hold back on the front wheel recall? How many years will they hold back on this one?

IMHO the removal at the most critical safety component of you bike, that being BOTH brake calipers in the middle of nowhere is just plain dumb, but that is after all just my opinion.

I would also be interested in your opinion on these guys.

And just in case you think your gear or bike isn’t up to the challenge:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29723
Guess what, its not the gear…

Oh yeah, I have dual-sport tyres on me bike and me WRX has a tow bar, folks are dumb where I come from.

These are great bikes, it's my second KTM and I'd buy another. As I find other problems with the bike I will fix them from my own pocket. I will also let my dealer know so he can then make a choice to pass the infomation onto others, that's entirely up to him.

Cheers.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:44 AM   #27
BSTARD OP
Mmmmm...shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
up to you, but those who bumped their front guard up an inch or so reported zero problems after that.

and don't you newer fellas have the Excel front rim already?

We have this rim.

As far as I'm aware the problem was with a spoke/hub mismatch, please feel free to correct me if my information's wrong. I know people have had problems with these rims being a bit soft but it's yet to be an issue with me.

Cheers.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:00 AM   #28
BSTARD OP
Mmmmm...shiny

Posted for Boofhead

Bike Details; 05 model, Hepco Becker crash bars, MSC steering Damper, Staintune pipe and custom UHF radio mount, Helmet speaker/ear phone
With the High gaurd set up I used RM250 fork protectors, (I asume Husky fork protectors may fit unmodified)
I used a single hole KTM brake guide for right hand side cable, I used a second std length brake line run from the brake lever ( run over to the left side steel guide ring then over headlight bracket& down through the single hole cable guide then to fork protector where it is clamped in to position. Havent had any problems even under full compression.
The brakes (twin Discs) are overkill in the dirt but great for chasing down some sports bikes on tight country roads (brakesliding the rear sideways ito corners scares them)
The bikes currently being regeared to 16-45, with a 15 tooth front to fit as needed, fitting michelin Baja tyres ( off road only) & rejetted to run the Staintune Unbaffled.

Thanks for sharin Boofhead, nice work on the radio mount.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:07 AM   #29
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:

We have this rim.
(pic)
As far as I'm aware the problem was with a spoke/hub mismatch, please feel free to correct me if my information's wrong. I know people have had problems with these rims being a bit soft but it's yet to be an issue with me.

Cheers.
I think the idea was that Behr was too wide for any DS tire to protect it off road, and that obstacles were getting around (so to speak) the tire and denting the rim. sucks!

meat popsicle screwed with this post 12-07-2005 at 10:10 AM
Old 12-09-2005, 02:59 AM   #30
BSTARD OP
Mmmmm...shiny

Very interesting.