User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
mitchell93 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Eek dr650 supermoto cheaply

Hello, I have a '06 dr650 and would like to (cheaply) turn it into a more street oriented bike. I have looked all over the web about changing both wheels to get a wider back tire, but that will get expensive fast. I would like to keep my back tire and just put a street tire on that, and get a 17 or 19" for the front. The things i need help with is getting a cheap front tire (spoked or cast, cast might look wierd with only the front cast) that i don't have to do much customizing, and maybe one that i don't have to do too much adjusting to the brake assembly.

I also want to know if i can keep and adjust the stock speedo, or if not getting the small, cheap one from procycle.

Thanks,
Erik
mitchell93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,182
You may want to try to contact inmate "goodcat8".

He did a (I believe) 17/19 set-up, utilizing the stock rear rim. It turned-out to be one of the better-lookin' DR sumos. And, he rode the hell outta' that thing.

As his screen-name implies, he is a pretty good dude. I am sure he would be happy to share some of the wisdom he gained along the way.

Good luck.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,737
Since you have to buy at least one rim. Buy a wide rim to lace up to the rear hub. Relace the stock rear rim on the front hub. There you go. Now you have proper 17" sumo wheels.
I think the stock front brake works fine for street riding, (if you are going on the cheap). A braided steel brake line for the front would help a little.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote