User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
Tifosi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Gas Gas 450 EC or 2011 KTM 450 EXC

Okay opinion time we have all seen the desert Dakar style GAS GAS 450 EC and we all know the 450 EXC well. I had a 2009 450 EXC rode 200 commute miles and 800 trail miles before I sold it because I wanted to build a Dakar style bike for adventure riding and the 690 was tempting but the weight issues really made me hesitant over it.
My EXC had no problems I changed the oil regularly and I checked the valves at each oil change and never had to change a shim. I did have a fan but no oil cooler so I ran on stock oil reserve as low as it was and I loved the KTM powerband and 75mph with some regearing 113tooth front sprocket 48 in the rear and I never had a problem save the known bulb burn out itssue.
The GAS GAS is out of the box ready plus it boasts efi which I see as a plus for adventre riding no more rejetting the carb. At the same time I hear the frame will be different and a linkage will be added to the EXC but I will have to buy the mecasystems kit unless there is a rally replica cost sis similar so that is nott in the equation. Do I stick with what I know and is reliable or do I take a chance on the sexy spanish machine which tempts me like the devil? I would be adding the front fairing and oil cooler along with one side tank and exhaust on the KTM so there is work involved or do I simplify and take a risk on the spanish machine, I have no experience with gas gas but I here only good things. There is a rumor that the EXC will have the new mounted motor like the 690 rally wich would improve handling and balance I am looking for people with experience with GAS GAS bikes spares are harder to find and I am afraid I would be in for a world of hurt but the bike is so hot I just may take the plunge.
David Fretigne and the Aprilia ridden by Chaleco showed a 450 can stand up to endurance riding, I am not doing Dakar but a So Cal to Alaska trip will be done, I will be bringing spares and adding a cush drive to the EXC should I go that way and will for the GAS GAS if that is an option. This is a trip I have been planning for two years and I don't want it to end with a million little niggles to ruing it.
Your thoughts please (please refrain from the 450 can't handle that mileage because I flogged the EXC pretty good on and off road and didn't have a problem) so I am going to do it on a 450 a bigger bike is not an option. Thanks in advance.

Tifosi screwed with this post 01-26-2010 at 11:25 PM
Tifosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,510
Didn't read, wall of text.

Try paragraphs?
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
Tifosi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

here is the GAS GAS my upload failed it was withing space limits maybe I can email someone and they can post it to see a picture. IF you want to see a picture from another thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=543325&page=3 take a look it is drool worthy

I want to know if the risk of an unknown quantity is worth the trouble of prepping the EXC
Old 01-26-2010, 11:26 PM   #4
Tifosi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

to please you I have edited my post also I wondered if the rumors can be confirmed that the frame will be different in 2011 along with a linkage I saw some spy photos of the motx bike a while ago and the frame looked significantly different more like the bimmer perimeter frame with chrome moly tubes but this could all be speculation.My wife finds the GAS GAS way sexier than the mecasystems KTM and we all know what the wife likes usualy the wife gets : P

Tifosi screwed with this post 01-27-2010 at 12:04 AM
Old 01-27-2010, 06:55 AM   #5
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifosi
My wife finds the GAS GAS way sexier than the mecasystems KTM and we all know what the wife likes usualy the wife gets : P
Sounds like she's already made the decision for you. Will she be driving the support truck full of spares during this adventure?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
Reg01
Got Adventure?

Oddometer: 1,181
I had a Gas Gas 300 two stroke enduro bike and loved it! I also have owned several KTMs. The Gas Gas handles better in tight woods riding. The only problem with Gas Gas at that time was their lack of a decent dealer network. Not sure how that is these days.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
Tifosi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah even after I add a side tank the GAS GAS at 10500 will be cheaper than all the mods to the KTM I dont need panniers because we will have a support truck. My biggest worry is spares, I may not have the money to buy a ton and I know there are KTM dealerships all over should I have a problem.

Reg01 did you have any reliability problems with your GAS GAS? When you had to find parts was it always a special order type of situation? Since the spanish use their own motor I don't have the luxury of common spares like a Beta.

Fullmonte my wife and a couple of other wives will be driving a spares and support truck for us they are excited to drive the Alcan and we have four riders already (wives included) for the trip I had elbow surgery o I am a year away but it gives me time to plan.

Does anyone know or has anyone heard any rumours about the 2011 450 EXC, I am thinking with the change in Dakar rules there may be a rally replica, I am more interested in suspension changes and efi possibilities. I know that they are going to use the new angle engine which supposedly makes the bike much easier to use.

I have a year to wait but that is also a year to plan so I need as much info as possible. We plan on heading up and back with trail riding thrown in along the way our own mini adventure with beautiful scenery perhaps I can get some more ADV guys along for the ride a whole pack with people meeting up along the way sounds like a blast.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
Tifosi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I should add my wife hates dual sports and the look of Dakar bikes in general with the exception of Coma's and well I would love that bikd too but the minute she saw the GAS GAS she was in love, as middle of the rode she is about bikes in her worlds "You have to buy that bike" my wife rocks I just don't want to regret not going with a proven set up the mecasystems 450 EXC
Old 01-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
Reg01
Got Adventure?

Oddometer: 1,181
The Gas Gas was very reliable. I had to order parts & accessories from a dealer out of state who at that time was one of the better known dealers in the US. I can't recall the name but last word I had he was no longer a dealer. So I would suggest you check the strength of their dealer network now because I can't comment on the current situation. Very fun bike though.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
sprinter 27
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
i own 2 gasgas bikes and wouldn't hesitate to buy a third.my dealer has lots of stock(eg barrels and pistons in stock) ,but i'm in canada.try go-fasters (they seem to be the big usa dealer)fwiw both my bikes have also been dead reliable
sprinter 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #11
Tifosi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks after talking to Rally Pan AM about the mods I want to make I think I am going to get the GAS GAS but I am going to wait to see what happens in 2011 with the 450 EXC I am not in a hurry so maybe just waiting and seeing will be the best way to go I really like the GAS GAS but the lack of an electric starter is one big negative for me so maybe the 2011 GAS GAS will be even better
Old 01-28-2010, 06:11 PM   #12
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg01
The Gas Gas was very reliable. I had to order parts & accessories from a dealer out of state who at that time was one of the better known dealers in the US. I can't recall the name but last word I had he was no longer a dealer. So I would suggest you check the strength of their dealer network now because I can't comment on the current situation. Very fun bike though.
Smackover Motorsports in Arkansas. Those dudes carried *everything* in stock.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:11 PM   #13
JKL
Rider

Oddometer: 742
Why not a Yamaha or a Husaberg?
JKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #14
jjustj
JUSTAGUYTRYING2STAYDRY

Oddometer: 5,267
the gasgas will not be coming...

this refers only to the dakar styled bike from previously quoted thread..
they needed 500 bike order to make it and they fell way short. :( It looked cool tho!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #15
astrachn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Have been riding KTM since 1973 (Penton days), still have a couple of KTM's, and was once a KTM dealer so my blood runs orange. However when I rode my first GasGas (EC300) in 2007, my 2007 XC became history. I have yet to buy the first repair for the GasGas and would not hesitate to buy anything made by them. To show my confidence in the company, I just gave the '07 to my son as I await delivery of a 2010 EC300/electric start.
astrachn is offline   Reply With Quote