Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2006, 12:15 PM   #61
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,200
2001 Duke II 18,000 miles. I bought it in July '04 with 1300 miles.
So far, I destroyed the main shaft bearing and replaced it, and broke a clutch cable. Otherwise I just try not to flip it doing wheelies.

mdubya screwed with this post 08-21-2009 at 10:08 PM
mdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:42 PM   #62
Buckster
Banned

Oddometer: 1,003
Mine had 13k miles, needed the shock repaired.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:03 PM   #63
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,770
did you even read my thread Meat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Did you check the (bleep)ing index thread?

LC4 clutch noise
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118095

Check post #9 from dirtrider...
This has nothing to do with the standard clutch noise... if you don't have accuarate or relevent input - then don't
MymoJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:27 PM   #64
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortaygo
This has nothing to do with the standard clutch noise... if you don't have accuarate or relevent input - then don't
you thread? link? EDIT: you have 2 posts... so you meant "your post". yeah, I read it.
I'm just trying to help point you in some useful direction - post #9 from dirtrider is about a tech memo from KTM to the dealers discussing the potential for the Balancer Shaft Assembly Bolts to... ah here's the link from that thread (courtesty of dirtrider):

http://www.ktmdealer.net/uploads/mat...s/2_tb0441.pdf

maybe I misunderstood, and these bolts were not the same ones you were refering to - wouldn't be the first time.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.

meat popsicle screwed with this post 05-08-2006 at 02:22 PM
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #65
motorhead
"Iron Horse-Born To Lose"

Oddometer: 26
best'ss dual sport i could ever have expected

2003 KTM 640 Adventure...9000 mi no issues, just great for adventure riding in the Pacific NorthWest
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:10 PM   #66
Esteban
Banned

Oddometer: 5,799
99 640 LC4e with 16500 miles

I beat the daylights out of this bike whenever I can on single track, rocky mtn rocks and 90 mph road runs with occassional blasts to 100 mph.

Work done:

1 each new rims
new fork seals at least 4 times
1 rear shock rebuild
wheel bearings
mainshaft bearing upgrade for peace of mind

Actually none of the above are problems, just periodic maintenance.

Great bike, I hope this post did not jinx it.

Steve
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:54 AM   #67
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,200
Quote:
2001 Duke II 18,000 miles. I bought it in July '04 with 1300 miles.
So far, I destroyed the main shaft bearing and replaced it, and broke a clutch cable. Otherwise I just try not to flip it doing wheelies.
Oh, I forgot. Both drain plug threads were over torqued and engine case threads damaged by the shop that did the first service (before I owned the bike). Same shop couldn't figure out how to adjust the clutch cable either (something I did within 10 minutes of ownership ). Anyway, both drain bolts are effectively stripped and I haven't taken the time to properly fix them yet. So far a combination of washers, teflon tape, permatex, oil resistant blue loctite, and safety wire have gotten me by. I really need to fix this though.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:06 PM   #68
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,770
broken 640

Thanks for your help Meat, but I fail to see the conection. I have attached a photo to possible clarify.. hope it works

MymoJoe screwed with this post 05-09-2006 at 01:08 PM Reason: trying to attach photo
MymoJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:03 PM   #69
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
you thread? link? EDIT: you have 2 posts... so you meant "your post". yeah, I read it.
I'm just trying to help point you in some useful direction - post #9 from dirtrider is about a tech memo from KTM to the dealers discussing the potential for the Balancer Shaft Assembly Bolts to... ah here's the link from that thread (courtesty of dirtrider):

http://www.ktmdealer.net/uploads/mat...s/2_tb0441.pdf

maybe I misunderstood, and these bolts were not the same ones you were refering to - wouldn't be the first time.
The bolts in question are on the opposite side of the engine than the ones on the balancer.

Having the five bolts sheared on the starter assembly gear is a new one for me. Haven't even heard of that happening. Maybe the bike was built on the last shift of a friday.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:02 AM   #70
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,779
I'm updating this thread as I feel it's worthwhile to see what kind of reliability issues the LC 4s are having. Last report my 03 Adventure had 18,000 trouble free KMs. I am now up to 34,000 and the only issues I've had relates to worn carb parts: I replaced the needle jet, jet needle, slide diaphram , the float and float needle valve assembly. I also cored out the muffler which added midrange and also a hollow tinny note which I didnt care for much so I drilled a bunch of tiny holes in the core and welded it back in. It sounded much better and still gives a small performance increase. At this time the bike is running smoother than ever {lowest vibration}, getting good fuel economy{between 20-23 KM/PL}and starting very well{one quick stab on the starter}. Normal wear items, 3 rear wheel bearings, one countershaft seal change , third chainwheel set+ second set of rub blocks. I have a set of cam follower bearings to change over the winter and am thinking about a waterpump rebuild as well. I am wondering about changing the piston rings as well as a valve job in the near future. How many miles will these engines rack up before compression starts to suffer? Or do these engines usually suffer a catastrophic failure long before that happens? Be good to see others pipe in and update as to how their LC 4s are faring.
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:58 PM   #71
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
Uwe Krauss, who was staying with us recently, has spent about 5 years traveling the world along with Ramona Eichhorn. His LC4 has about 95,000 miles (yes, miles) on the clock...

I rode the bike and while it was beat, it still ran fine. I don't know it's service history.
Hey, does anybody know what the deal is with that diamond plate box in front of his engine is? It looks bigger than a bash plate. I've noticed it on his and Ramona's bikes in the Road Runner mags, but in all the pics I can't see any way to open it if it's some sort of added luggage. It bugs me every time I read one of their articles.

If you think I won't understand it just because you have to explain it to me, maybe it was bullshit to begin with.
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:00 AM   #72
MartinDKtm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
I had a 2003 Enduro that was over 30 000km. Bought new. 0 issue on it execpt for a leaky valve cover once. A tourist in a toyota corolla put an end to its life when he come across my way while I was cruising on a road at 110km/h....Bike good for the junk yard andI had a broken femur...

SADDEST PARTS IS THAT KTM DON"T IMPORT A REPLACEMENT FOR IT YET...ARE YOU LISTENING KTM?? I Bought a used honda 650L that ill ride till ktm import something...One chance my wife still has is 2003 640 Enduro too. When Im feeling sad about my old ride I take her bike for a spin.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:17 AM   #73
G.Kennedy

Oddometer: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerhonky
Hey, does anybody know what the deal is with that diamond plate box in front of his engine is?

It is a rough take off of the Ralley skidplate made popular by the Dakar racers. It carries tools and or water.

You can buy one for about $1200 that is smooth and slick.

You can check this thread were others have made an effort to build one:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74364

or you can make your own with big diamond plate aluminum boxes like the guy above.
IBA#11791
G.Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:14 AM   #74
ridelikeistoleit
slappy the hamfisted one

Oddometer: 150
lc4 mileage

ridelikeistoleit=10,512 showin but my cheap ass rode two years nospeedo!96 rxc 620[no fans in the deep woods runnin 16/38 ]and ignored the HEY IDIOT LOOK AT ME OR YOU'LL PAY light and all the other overheating signs/ended up with fluids mixed{not a good thing,been told} and caught it to late=cylinder,piston,rod assy complete,went on w/t chain @rollers,valves springs cam all recomended updates and all seals and bearings.along with switch to fcr39[cause I did'nt know a 41 would have been much better and no i didnt read the {bleeping}threads!!!but waaayyy better than quiksilver]and cost dearly through my local dealer,a true pirate riding ktms success of late to the dirt,over 5000!smarter now,but 5000 away from a new 950 adventure,I do all my own work{including replacing said engine 1 year later due to main bearing failure with LUCKY EBAY SCORE of a 96 rxc motor for 400$that runs like a top -I was told ALL KTM LC4 RECOMENDED updates were done/wonder what else I'll find inside] also just bought 95 rxc 400 off ebay for 1200 and plan to visit all the good threads here and at ktm talk so keep postin the goods!

ridelikeistoleit screwed with this post 04-30-2007 at 12:37 AM
ridelikeistoleit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:14 AM   #75
K-Enzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Here is mine

KTM 690 SM 2007 15'000 km from November 2007 to October 2008, no repair, no problem at all, still counting

Divers... Do it DEEPER !

My motorbikes: 2007 KTM 690 SM Orange - 2008 KTM 990 Adventure ABS Orange

Pictures of my 2007 KTM 690 SM Orange: http://www.ktmclubitalia.it/Forum/vi...php?f=25&t=862
K-Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote