User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2005, 09:31 PM   #1
wheelnut46 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Question Dual sport tires - road use

Hi - I'm hoping that this is the right place to ask... I just bought a 2001 Honda XR650L with 4700 miles and the stock rear tire needs replacing. I will be using it to commute to work (6 to 9 miles each way depending on the route) and off road after work through dirt trails, woods, sand pits, mud - whatever I can find, whenever I can. I am looking for a DOT tire that will be safe cornering on the highway in the rain as well as tearing it up off road in all kinds of environments every chance that I get. I am willing to give up some off road performance for safe on-road performance if I absolutely have to but I am also interested in tire wear. I am interested in hearing from those of you who use your bikes on the road and what kind of tires you use, how you like them and what kind of mileage have you gotten from them, wear rates etc. Although the front tire is not worn yet I am also interested in knowing which combinations work best and why etc. Please excuse all the questions but you all have much more experience than I do. Thanks
1946 Chevy pickup
wheelnut46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:58 PM   #2
Anciano
Bushpilot

Oddometer: 241
Wheelnut baby do you still believe in Santa Claus? There ain't no tires like that. Do you think the six day guys, the enduro guys, the motocross guys, the road race guys, the moto gp guys, and the Gold Wing guys all use the same tires? That's what you are asking. I hate to jump you on your first post, but shit man.Wayne
Anciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:07 PM   #3
Guzz
Gutless wonder

Oddometer: 4,907
ignore whinman22, that's not a bad question(s).

The major consensus for a good off road and on road tire are the Continental TKC-80's. They have good lugs for dirt, but are quite managable on the road.

Although, I am not sure if they come in the size needed for your specific application.
Guzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:59 PM   #4
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,970
A ton of older tire threads to look through.
What percentage of street/dirt will you be riding?

50/50 tires are a decent compramise. MT21, D606, Metz Karroo.
Most of those are good for 2-3 thousand total miles but will be useless
in the dirt around 1500, at least from my experience and other reviews.

My advice if you want to ride both street & dirt to the best of the
bikes ability would be get a second set of rims. Then in a 30 min
swap you can have rain or street slicks or agressive DOT knobs.

I got tired of tearing up my DOT knobs on the street so I got a second set.
My DOT dirt set is the Terraflex rear 140/80/18 and a 90/90/21
Bridgestone E661 front. I have slicks on my street set.

The only reason I would go back to a 50/50 tire would be a long trip
where I could obviously only take one set of rims and do a mix of riding.
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:30 AM   #5
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawidual
A ton of older tire threads to look through.
What percentage of street/dirt will you be riding?

50/50 tires are a decent compramise. MT21, D606, Metz Karroo.
Most of those are good for 2-3 thousand total miles but will be useless
in the dirt around 1500, at least from my experience and other reviews.

My advice if you want to ride both street & dirt to the best of the
bikes ability would be get a second set of rims. Then in a 30 min
swap you can have rain or street slicks or agressive DOT knobs.

I got tired of tearing up my DOT knobs on the street so I got a second set.
My DOT dirt set is the Terraflex rear 140/80/18 and a 90/90/21
Bridgestone E661 front. I have slicks on my street set.

The only reason I would go back to a 50/50 tire would be a long trip
where I could obviously only take one set of rims and do a mix of riding.
I will agree with the above a second set of wheels. My street wheels are 17 so I can use the sportbike tires on the street. There are good tires in the 21 18 sizes too.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:04 AM   #6
skeeter
Captain Safety

Oddometer: 1,872
I put Kenda K270 tires on my KLR650 when I bought it and put over 6000 miles on them. When I sold the bike, the tires still had enough tread left on them to last a couple thousand more. I rode it on asphalt about 80 % of the time, and offroad/gravel for the other 20%.

I have Dunlop D606 tires on my DRZ400 and still have tons of tread after 4000 miles. About the same ratio, 80% asphalt 20% offroad/gravel on the D606s.
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:22 AM   #7
Sandflea
One Lump or Two?

Oddometer: 907
Tires

Sorry, but I have to agree with whinman22. A "do all" tire is an paradox. TKC's are the closest to getting all those things done you want but realize the limits of what you are asking in a "do all" tire. IMHO TKC's suck offroad, they are a great compromise tire and a marginable touring tire. There are better tires for offroad and better tires for pavement touring, but for your needs TKC's sound like a good choice. There are many 50/50 dual sport tires out there, do some research. Kenda's, Duro and IRC's are cheap and all make D/S tires. Give'm a try if you can't get TKC's.
00' SV650n
02' KLR650
98' XR400 Aloop kit plated
86' XT350 Flat Track

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. Amen. -Monk, name unknown
Sandflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:07 AM   #8
Trander
PORTLY ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 274
I use these on my DR650 Suzuki. About 3k miles so far and they wear and work good on and off road . Not expensive either. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...647&division=6
1986 Yamaha TT225
1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ SECA
1978 Yamaha XS11

AMA Charter Life Member
Trander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:52 PM   #9
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
Yup, you're looking for the holy grail.

Offroad + wet pavement is particularly hard, depending on what you consider hard cornering on the road.

I like (but haven't actually run on my bike yet) tkc80 front and kenda k270 rear. seems to be a good compromise for the price.

For only 6-9 miles on-road for your commute, you should get better mileage out of DOT knobbies than most cause you wont be heating them up.

My commute is 50+ miles each way on pavement so I could shell DOT knobbies in a week
R_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:47 PM   #10
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,899
Metzler Enduro 3's. Let the air out if it gets rough. You can roadrace too.
Bill in Tomahawk, WI.
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:22 PM   #11
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,508
I like TKC's for honest dual purpose riding but they don't last as well as most other DP tires. I've been using Pirelli Scorpions for most general purpose riding and put the TKC's on when needed. The Scorpions have two version as 10% dirt- 90% street tire and a 50-50. The 50-50 tire does pretty well off road in my opinion. They are reasonably priced and last quite well. JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:16 PM   #12
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,687
I've only got a couple hundred on this D606 rear, but I really like it. Seems to have pretty tall knobbies, though it doesn't act like it on the street. I think the biggest size is a 130 though.
potatoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:24 PM   #13
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
I run a TKC80 front, and a D606 rear on XR650L. This combo was recommended by several great riders in CO (Esteban, Wayne Weber). This is as aggressive as I want for offroad, while still having decent pavement performance. The rear D606 lasts 2500 to 4000 miles, depending on how you ride; if you canyon carve and try to keep up with the crotch rockets, you will wear out DOT knobbies VERY quickly.

The TKC80 front is vastly better on pavement than the D606 front; the D606 gave a lot of headshake at 65 mph on my XR650L, if there was at least 30 psi in it, while the TKC80 will go 80+. Braking is terrible with the D606 front, and they wear extremely fast at low pressures. It is a good tire in the dirt, though. The D606 rear, OTOH, is much better on pavement than the front. Esteban runs a TKC80 up front, and a inexpensive Kenda 270 on the rear, because he wears out rears quickly. He gets 5k miles out of the rear. You won't like the price of the TKC80. I have 3500 miles on my front, and it should last about 5k. I replace them when I lose significant traction, not when they are worn to the cords.

Most good performance tires will not last over 5k miles. Do a search. If you got 4700 miles on the stock tires, that's good. But if they were Trailwings, aka Deathwings, you should be glad to get rid of them.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:10 PM   #14
johnsteel_6@hotmail.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Avon Gripsters, and they have the size to fit the PIG. Fantastic on the Highway, and good offroad.
johnsteel_6@hotmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:52 PM   #15
triplethreat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Tire ain't purty

As for me I prefer the Dunlop 606 series. I have these on my Dr350 and KTM450. I've been running these since '97. Love 'em!

As for a street oriented tire, I swear by the Duro Median. I've run these on my KLR and DR650 since '00. They're my adventure touring tires, but they hook up well anywhere.

Tires are a personal choice, find what ya like and go with it...

I always used Dunlop 752 and 756's when I used to race, had good luck, and that's why i still use Dunlops today. As for the Duro's, I originally shopped them based on tread pattern. An now, 8 sets later, I still love 'em.

And don't forget to run heavy duty tubes in your tires. Don't cheap out on these, they'll save your ass and your days ride someday....

JMHO...

The rest of us do www.DixieDualSport.com

The Website, Forum and Community For Southern Adventure Riders!

'04 Suzuki DR650
triplethreat is offline   Reply With Quote