ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2005, 02:48 PM   #16
Mouse OP
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 9,225
Tested

I managed to get out on the weekend and give this tyre a bit of a work out.

Firstly my speedo is not working so the distances are an educated guess.

Secondly, I ride dirt hard and tend to spend most of my time spinning the rear but not carry heaps of corner speed - I'm a point and shoot rider. Therefore my rear tyre usually looks like its been on a race track after a squirt down a dirt road.

The conditions I rode in were dry with the surface varying from loose gravel to shallow sand over a hard base but very little rock. I tried first gear sections through to fast open country.

The ride was about 200 miles with approx 70 dirt.

I have fitted a MT21 front and this D908, an emig damper and uprated my front springs to suit my 130kg weight and this ride was the first with this combo.

I'm not sure if its the nature of the MT21 or damper setup but the first thing I noticed is that the bike tips in very very quickly compared to the standard rubber. The transition almost feels knife edge and is at first a little unsettling till you get used to it. It seems to have got better now I've got a few miles on it but perhaps I've got used to it.

The bike now tram tracks and tends to follow contours in the road much more. This seems to lessen if I move my weight backwards so I will look at how the shop set up my suspension...

Ok, enough of the blurb.

On the standard rubber (the only other tyres I've used on this toy) it was rather disconcerting on any sand or deep gravel and the front would get very touchy. Now I just ignore the surface and go for it - in a nutshell heaps better.

The rear still spins in 4th (on the dirt) as the power kicks in around 5k rpm, I haven't found a long enough bit of road to see if it'll spin in 5th yet...

I could ride this combination with a lot of confidence road and off road and I'm happy with the rear.

It looks like the rear tyre will last probably about 1500-2k miles the way I'm abusing it. The wear is similar to the front in that the knobs are rounding slightly though it is retaining the overall shape and i did not tear any knobs off despite my best efforts. Again I stress I'm pretty hard on my tyres.

The now measured tread depth in the centre is 11mm - down from 14mm new, so I guess I've worn the tyre down a third in the probably 500km I've clocked on it since fitting - and all but 70 miles of it on tar.

I didn't see much rock, a few patches only but fed it through those areas as I was intent on killing the tyre for research purposes.

The tar/black top traction is fine. I've not ridden it in the wet tho. It's not particularly noisy on road.

A huge thumbs up for the emig damper set up - it makes for much easier riding overall. I'd rate it a must fit and reckon I'll never have another bike without one.

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #17
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,834
Will there be any pictures coming soon???

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:06 PM   #18
Mouse OP
I'm only smelly

ah, what would you like pictures of????

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Old 12-11-2005, 11:41 PM   #19
AZcacti
Dope on a Rope

Oddometer: 1,320
Thanks for the update Mouse.
AZcacti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:14 AM   #20
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,277
it looks like a good tire for deep loose substances like sand or slimey (not to be confused with smiley mud ) mud. i think I'll get another Michelin Desert for next summer as I had about 3000 miles of trail, gravel, and highway on it when I changed it and it still had life left in it.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:16 AM   #21
b0mb3r
Old Git

the tyre if possable please

White pig

Old 12-13-2005, 04:28 PM   #22
Mouse OP
I'm only smelly

katoum, I presume you want pictures of the tyre worn a bit? I will be doing about 280km tar this weekend followed by some considerable kms on gnarly rocks and then I will post pictures.

Old 12-14-2005, 01:08 AM   #23
b0mb3r
Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse
katoum, I presume you want pictures of the tyre worn a bit? I will be doing about 280km tar this weekend followed by some considerable kms on gnarly rocks and then I will post pictures.
nice one thanks Mouse

White pig

Old 12-16-2005, 11:34 PM   #24
Katoum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat00m
nice one thanks Mouse
No I never requested any pictures, that was the new Katoom.
Getting to be a lot of of same name, spelled different, Kat***m's here.
Katoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:25 AM   #25
Mouse OP
I'm only smelly

sorry mistaken identity...

The tyre now has had 4 tanks of fuel and a thrash through sand, gravel and rocks.

It is about 50% worn and holding up very well.

I am a little concerned about the way my bike is handling at the moment, its very twitchy in a straight line though fine cornering.

I don't think its the rear tyre yet but am gradually sorting it out.

I think, and let me state I'm no expert, that the rear is sitting high. I had new springs fitted front, supposed to be next size up - 0.5kg- but ever since I had my suspension done and tyres fitted at the same time I've not been entirely comfortable with the handling.

As said its just twitchy but I'd hate to ride it without a damper.

I've backed my rear preload of to 2 turns and that seems to settled it a bit which leads me to think that either the front has dropped or the rear is sitting too high.

As far as I am aware, and my dealer will confirm this tomorrow, the rear suspension is stock.

The front is bottoming out heaps more now... go figure!

So by my estimation either the rear tyre profile is too high thus reducing the rake (I think thats the angle measurement) or the rear suspension has been jacked up some how or the front springs are wrong.

Will inform as I sort it out.

Old 01-07-2006, 10:35 AM   #26
b0mb3r
Old Git

did u take any more pics ???

White pig

Old 01-08-2006, 04:33 PM   #27
Mouse OP
I'm only smelly

being summer here I am on a beach holiday so no pics as yet. can report I've now put through about 9 tanks of fuel on this tyre and its holding up well enough, intact but showing wear. I'd expect it to last about 12 tanks if you ride hard.

I'm running it at 30psi and the traction on gravel is limited, it seems great in the wet tho. I'm still tuning my suspension so that may increase drive on gravel yet.

Back to civilisation next week and full report then plus pics.

Old 01-09-2006, 11:56 PM   #28
Goldhelocks
You had me at "2 wheels"

Oddometer: 190
Tire

Wow, that is a VERY cool tire. (Grunt grunt grunt!).... Ok, can someone convert those speed and load ratings into SAE/American? I LIKE it!

What does it ride like on the pavement? Looks like cornering might become a bit bumpy and slightly unstable? I'll bet it is a beast in the dirt though!

Goldhelocks
Goldhelocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:51 PM   #29
b0mb3r
Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse
being summer here I am on a beach holiday so no pics as yet. can report I've now put through about 9 tanks of fuel on this tyre and its holding up well enough, intact but showing wear. I'd expect it to last about 12 tanks if you ride hard.

I'm running it at 30psi and the traction on gravel is limited, it seems great in the wet tho. I'm still tuning my suspension so that may increase drive on gravel yet.

Back to civilisation next week and full report then plus pics.
look forward to seeing them mouse

White pig

Old 02-01-2006, 02:09 PM   #30
b0mb3r
Old Git

no piccy yet

White pig