I've fitted a new rear tyre - dunlop d908 not listed on the dunlop sites

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Mouse, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    This tyre does not show up on any dunlop sites worldwide that i know of.

From the side walls comes the following info:

rally raid dunlop d908 rr
    140/80 - 18 m/c 70R

max load 335kg at 36 psi cold
    tread 6ply 4 nylon 2 aramid
    walls 4 play 4 nylon
    made in france

the tread is cross shaped and quite unusual. The tread depth of a new tyre is about 14mm.

I've only done a few kms on it so far but will report further after I try my best to destroy it this weekend.

if someone would pm me I will send them an email with photos of the tread so they can post on this site.
  2. wsmc99

wsmc99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    the tyre pictured in that link is not the same tyre in tread pattern as what i have.
  4. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  5. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    thanks tho got onto a local connection, now I need to wait for my aussie connection, atgreg, to post them for me.

For those who are curious I understand that the tyre is still being evaluated and was designed by an aussie rider, wonka.

Here they are currently retailing for $265 aud which is up there.
  6. cbig

cbig Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer:
    tyre? Do you mean .. Tire?

haha! Damn foreigners need to learn to spell or they'll be as unedumikated as we is!

cb

try discountmotorcycletyre.com
  7. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    Tyre photos for mouse; they look interesting, wonder if they make a 17" rear for my Africa twin ??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    dern CBIG

Thats a tyre you big galoot. Tire is when you get tired. Youre not tyred now are ya?

ps: thats a damn fine looking Tyre!

:rofl
  9. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tis an interesting pattern

First christian tyre I've seen :1drink

Jesus wheels!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
  10. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    They're for when you know you're in deep $hit............hope and PRAY!!Ohhhh..........seen the check spelling option??!!Also BALDY........THE FACES DONT WORK!!(in fact none of them options work!!)
  11. Chipper

Chipper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check herehttp://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/Dunlop/dunlop_d908.htm says available early 06
  12. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't find the D908 either, but I do find the D907 (140/80-18). Looks like the one in the link from wsmc99.
    Has anyone tried the D907 on the 950?
  13. BigMac

BigMac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know the speed rating of this tire? From the spec provided "140/80 - 18 m/c 70R" it would seem it's 70R. I don't know what this means. Is this less than H or V-rated? I don't require V-rated tire like Scorpion's but I at least would like an H rated tire like TKC's. If it's speed rated to low triple digits, that's one terrific looking tire for Central-South American travel...especially if its durable.
  14. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    I believe the tyre was developed for dakar style races and the installing dealer told me it is v rated. However, that said, the info on the side seems to indicate it is r rated which is good for 170kmh at full load.
  15. b0mb3r

b0mb3r Old Git

Oddometer:
    WOW do i like that tyre or wot
  16. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    I managed to get out on the weekend and give this tyre a bit of a work out.

Firstly my speedo is not working so the distances are an educated guess.

Secondly, I ride dirt hard and tend to spend most of my time spinning the rear but not carry heaps of corner speed - I'm a point and shoot rider. Therefore my rear tyre usually looks like its been on a race track after a squirt down a dirt road.

The conditions I rode in were dry with the surface varying from loose gravel to shallow sand over a hard base but very little rock. I tried first gear sections through to fast open country.

The ride was about 200 miles with approx 70 dirt.

I have fitted a MT21 front and this D908, an emig damper and uprated my front springs to suit my 130kg weight and this ride was the first with this combo.

I'm not sure if its the nature of the MT21 or damper setup but the first thing I noticed is that the bike tips in very very quickly compared to the standard rubber. The transition almost feels knife edge and is at first a little unsettling till you get used to it. It seems to have got better now I've got a few miles on it but perhaps I've got used to it.

The bike now tram tracks and tends to follow contours in the road much more. This seems to lessen if I move my weight backwards so I will look at how the shop set up my suspension...

Ok, enough of the blurb.

On the standard rubber (the only other tyres I've used on this toy) it was rather disconcerting on any sand or deep gravel and the front would get very touchy. Now I just ignore the surface and go for it - in a nutshell heaps better.

The rear still spins in 4th (on the dirt) as the power kicks in around 5k rpm, I haven't found a long enough bit of road to see if it'll spin in 5th yet...

I could ride this combination with a lot of confidence road and off road and I'm happy with the rear.

It looks like the rear tyre will last probably about 1500-2k miles the way I'm abusing it. The wear is similar to the front in that the knobs are rounding slightly though it is retaining the overall shape and i did not tear any knobs off despite my best efforts. Again I stress I'm pretty hard on my tyres.

The now measured tread depth in the centre is 11mm - down from 14mm new, so I guess I've worn the tyre down a third in the probably 500km I've clocked on it since fitting - and all but 70 miles of it on tar.

I didn't see much rock, a few patches only but fed it through those areas as I was intent on killing the tyre for research purposes.

The tar/black top traction is fine. I've not ridden it in the wet tho. It's not particularly noisy on road.

A huge thumbs up for the emig damper set up - it makes for much easier riding overall. I'd rate it a must fit and reckon I'll never have another bike without one.
  17. b0mb3r

b0mb3r Old Git

Oddometer:
    Will there be any pictures coming soon???
  18. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    ah, what would you like pictures of????
  19. AZcacti

AZcacti Dope on a Rope

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update Mouse. :thumb
  20. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    it looks like a good tire for deep loose substances like sand or slimey (not to be confused with smiley mud :evil ) mud. i think I'll get another Michelin Desert for next summer as I had about 3000 miles of trail, gravel, and highway on it when I changed it and it still had life left in it.