Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2006, 02:23 PM   #31
Mouse OP
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 8,950
next week I am going to a d908 front and rear and will post pics then. The tyre has about 3200km on it and about 75-80% worn and still has god shape on the knobs etc. Will also post a pic of the old tyre as it comes off.

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:05 PM   #32
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse
next week I am going to a d908 front and rear and will post pics then. The tyre has about 3200km on it and about 75-80% worn and still has god shape on the knobs etc. Will also post a pic of the old tyre as it comes off.
thanks Mouse ... how and did u get the tyre ???

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:13 PM   #33
gbranham
Double eye

Oddometer: 999
908's

This tire is bad ass, mounted it today but seat height is up an inch and a half over the old Scorpian. Haven't ridden on it yet but it is bad ass looking. It's a 140/80 so I think circumference is bigger than stock but just as wide.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:25 PM   #34
Mouse OP
I'm only smelly

it is significantly larger in diameter!!!

Shall be interested to hear what you think of it. I had to fiddle around with the suspension a bit to sort out the new ride height v handling.

I am now going to fit the front and new rear next week. They are available in Australia and now I guess US of A.

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Old 02-07-2006, 06:38 PM   #35
gbranham
Double eye

Yes, I just reread the previous threads on this so I'll be ready for the change in handling, I hope. No damper though. I got the tire from a local guy here who bought 6 of them down in Cali. I'm thinking about a Karoo for the front. Maybe it's taller than stock too, to even things out a little.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:38 PM   #36
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbranham
This tire is bad ass, mounted it today but seat height is up an inch and a half over the old Scorpian. Haven't ridden on it yet but it is bad ass looking. It's a 140/80 so I think circumference is bigger than stock but just as wide.
Who did you get them through and do you have any pics?? Thanks!!
Old 02-07-2006, 06:47 PM   #37
gbranham
Double eye

Hey James, His name is Rick Bozarth. He has his own dirtbike shop here in Portland. He went to some convention down in Cali someplace and tried to buy a bunch but they would only give him six, I think. His number is 503-255-8971. He'll ship. I paid $120. Still loving the seat by the way!...Gary...Pix are on page 1 of this thread.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:11 PM   #38
Mouse OP
I'm only smelly

my ride next weekend (on a tour) should be about 1500km tar transport, about 1000km dirt and should give me a good view of the front.

I like the rear, its pretty well viceless except that its so much larger.

I set my bike up with an emig damper, 20 degree offset, the D908 rear and MT21 front all at once and took a little while to work out what was going on.

I felt it made a significant difference to the handling of the bike. I've noticed as the rear wears down the bike has become more stable again.

I also note that the MT21 doesn't look like it will last much longer than the rear.

Speed rating for D908 front and rear is 170kmh (R rating)

Old 02-07-2006, 08:37 PM   #39
gbranham
Double eye

908 handling

Just took a short ride. My preload is always set to minimum. I've cranked up the front preload a couple turns and turned the rebound damping up two clicks after a few months of owning the bike. I only weigh 160 lbs. so I probably should get a softer rear spring. Hopefully Ti if they're not too $$$$. Anyways, handling with the 908 rear is affected significantly. Not good or bad but different. I knew going in that getting a full dirt tire will change things so I'm not dissapointed. Mouse is right on with his description although my bike is fully stock suspension wise.
There is a hum that goes in and out as harmonics and speed go up. I got up to 80 mph and felt fine even when leaned over so it's not a bad street tire in the short time I've ridden with it. I've not tried the TKC's. It would be an interesting comparison, although the 908 would probably be much better off road.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:39 PM   #40
Mr Happy
dIcKhEaD

Oddometer: 50
Quote:

The tyre now has had 4 tanks of fuel and ... is about 50% worn and holding up very well.
Mouse: Perhaps I have trouble with the spelling of TYRE, however I think I can still manage this one: OXYMORON (read BULLSHIT).
Old 02-08-2006, 01:19 PM   #41
Mouse OP
I'm only smelly

WTF???

I know there are some americans who are xenophobic but you, Mr Happy, are without doubt a winner....

Perhaps you would care to enlighten us about what you refer to?

Old 02-08-2006, 01:42 PM   #42
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Happy
Mouse: Perhaps I have trouble with the spelling of TYRE, however I think I can still manage this one: OXYMORON (read BULLSHIT).
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:21 PM   #43
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:

Perhaps you would care to enlighten us about what you refer to?
I believe he may be refering to the comment that the tire is 50% worn after buring 23 gallons of fuel. So... using 40 miles per gallon as an average (based on others comments) thats 1/2 gone in 920 miles.
Bearing in mind that a 950 can be a bit tough on tires, that would be around 1500 miles on a lighter less powerful bike like say... a 640 Adventure.

So... with a bit of extrapolation, it wears about average when compared to similar tires.

I believe Mr. Happy may either consume fuel at a higher rate than you do, or expects more from a tire. Conciquently he finds it hard to believe that a tire half worn thru in approximately 1000 miles is "holding up very well".
Hence the oxymoron reference.

I would agree however that the "bullshit" comment is inappropriate and uncalled for... making him a prime candidate for your and my "ignore list"

Cheers,
C
Old 02-08-2006, 05:04 PM   #44
Mouse OP
I'm only smelly

Thank you, Mr Creeper!

When the aforementioned person acquires a D908 and has something firsthand to observe I shall be most interested in his opinion rather than his childishness.

I'll also be most surprised if he manages to wear out this tyre any quicker as I intentionally tried to destroy this tyre on dirt.

I also quote another aussie member:
"I was impressed with the Dunlop 908 back tyre it's done 2,500km and is still hardly worn, definitly wearing better and dirt grip is better than the TKC's I normally run. I had to adjust the chain twice which is unusual but I have to admit that was the hardest my 950 has been ridden, I dont usually ride much sand on her."

I queried him and he said he was very soft on tyres....

And Reece, feeding this troll is always welcomed

Old 02-08-2006, 05:35 PM   #45
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Thank you, Mr Creeper!

When the aforementioned person acquires a D908 and has something firsthand to observe I shall be most interested in his opinion rather than his childishness.

I'll also be most surprised if he manages to wear out this tyre any quicker as I intentionally tried to destroy this tyre on dirt.

I also quote another aussie member:
"I was impressed with the Dunlop 908 back tyre it's done 2,500km and is still hardly worn, definitly wearing better and dirt grip is better than the TKC's I normally run. I had to adjust the chain twice which is unusual but I have to admit that was the hardest my 950 has been ridden, I dont usually ride much sand on her."

I queried him and he said he was very soft on tyres....

And Reece, feeding this troll is always welcomed
What can I say Mouse, some peoples don't even realize they haven't the mental capacity to contribute anything of value.

For them in the US what are interested, I've been following the progress of these tires as they approach availability in the US.
The Tucker Rocky (a large US distributor) part numbers for the D908RRs are 318201 and 318202 front and rear respective. They are in stock in all but the California TR warehouses at this time. These are the "iron cross" center knob on the rear center tread tires as seen in previous posts.

Of course most have seen that tiresunlimited.com has them listed... no doubt to nail a few advanced sales. Prices are about 20% over dealer cost.
Retail pricing in the US is on par with the Michelin Deserts, which would reasonably be the most direct competitor.

Funny how Dunlop seems to be going after what has been for years Michelin's sole territory... competition grade rallye and trials tires.

And so it goes...

creeper screwed with this post 02-09-2006 at 10:31 AM
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote