ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2006, 07:03 PM   #46
Mouse OP
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 9,225
photos updated

These tyres were fitted at the same time and have about 3k km on them. I couldn't find a tape to measure rear tread depth but estimate it about 5-6mm.

Front MT21

Rear D908

another view

It was a fairly low light situation.

As you can see the rear is holding up well and mileage and riding conditions as previously advised.

My opinion of the D908 rear? as long as you sort out the ride height otherwise you'll probably hate it.

The durability is good.

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:36 PM   #47
Mouse OP
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 9,225
D908 front now installed

Photos shortly, first ride of 30km and my immediate impression is its quieter than the MT21. Feels a good match to the rear.

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:04 AM   #48
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,386
D 908's @ Southwest Moto Tire

See:http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/mer...ct_Code=318202

No pic's yet, but Blaine says they are in stock...

Pointman
IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:47 PM   #49
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,834
come on guys .... im still waiting

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:58 PM   #50
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
I just used the 908 set in the Jimmy Lewis class and they did great. I now have about 200 miles on them and they still look good. No chunking or torn knobs. The front holds really good but I don't think it's as good on the street as the d606. I'm going to finish kicking these around and report back.

nate
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:32 PM   #51
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,499
Just bit the bullet on these bad boys. F&R

Should be here next week. Will be installing prior to a ~1500-2000 mile dirt and tarmac ride in Quebec and Maine. Mud, gravel roads, high speed dirt, crappy spring cond expected. I know this differs from the other who have this tire in predom. dry and sandy areas.

Questions I have regarding its street performance. Anything specific to look out for? Compared to a TKC, how would you rate its cornering? Braking? I will inevitably be riding prob 40% street but they will be frost heaved chopped up roads.

Durability is not much of a concern, but should last the entire trip.

How are you long-term testers rating this setup??
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:43 PM   #52
urbanoyster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
The 908RR's are a great off road tyre, but hey, feel better when youre more aggressive, ie attacking the track. If your not aggressive the front end can feel a bit vague. They feel great in sand too, even in soft sandy berms with lots of power on.

And as far as riding on sealed bitumen roads, they are friggin awful! The front tyre lacks feel and is easily upset on an uneven surface. Plus getting on the power hard makes the bike twitch badly. SO I dont recommmend hitting 120 kph plus on these tyres. I wont be riding on a wet bitumen roads with these tyres if I can help it!

As for the Scorpions, they are a great all round tyre, and if you ride mainly sealed roads, these tyres are great, especially if your like to push your bike hard through the tight corners!
urbanoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 06:54 AM   #53
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanoyster
The 908RR's are a great off road tyre, but hey, feel better when youre more aggressive, ie attacking the track. If your not aggressive the front end can feel a bit vague. They feel great in sand too, even in soft sandy berms with lots of power on.

And as far as riding on sealed bitumen roads, they are friggin awful! The front tyre lacks feel and is easily upset on an uneven surface. Plus getting on the power hard makes the bike twitch badly. SO I dont recommmend hitting 120 kph plus on these tyres. I wont be riding on a wet bitumen roads with these tyres if I can help it!

As for the Scorpions, they are a great all round tyre, and if you ride mainly sealed roads, these tyres are great, especially if your like to push your bike hard through the tight corners!
Oyster, thanks just what I was looking for. I have a set of TKC's 60% left I was considering for this trip as there will be slab time and I do very much enjoy the cornering abilities of this bike. I have Scorps on now, was planning on riding up to the base camp for this trip, and then swapping them out, doing the dirt parts, and considering reinstalling the scorps for the trip home. Loads of tire changing work, but I need the practice anyways!

I guess it basically boils down to, I want to find out for myself. Thanks for the precautions, duly noted.

Oh, and I do plan on pushing hard with these tires. I had a little spill on Scorps, not confidence inspiring. I want as close as I can get to real knobbies to experiment with this bikes abilities off-tarmac. I hate the way the Scorps twitch the front end even on my gravel driveway. The TKCs are much better, and I figure the 908's will be heaps better.

Sailah
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:48 AM   #54
b0mb3r
Old Git

time to bump

White pig

Old 05-01-2006, 01:14 AM   #55
ZenMoto
Bikeslut

Oddometer: 679
Just got back from Baja with these tires. Running 17 lbs rear, and 20 lbs front (random number I deflated to without checking), they stuck like glue everywhere off road, and provided enough cushion to protect the rims from all but the larger rock hits. The tires were simply incredible off-road; I couldn't have asked for better tracking on any of the surfaces we went through down there.

As for the street, the front is a horrible street tire! I highly reccomend not exceeding 80 mph on the pavement, expecially if you don't have a steering damper. At 84.5 on the GPS a serious wobble / headshake began and I had to back off down below 80 again to get it to clear up. On grooved pavement the front borders between squirrely and downright scary!

Be extra careful when the tires are new, the front is even more unpredictable before it gets some miles on it to wear it in. Not sure I'd even try riding on pavement in the rain with that front tire.

I did abuse these tires badly and they are still in pretty good shape, but are easily half worn with less than 1500 miles on them. That said, despite hard throttle on nasty rock surfaces, I haven't chunked a single knobby, front or rear.

I really like the tires, but will be trying the TKCs next, as I don't get off-road nearly as often as I have to commute.

Save $5 on a photo hosting accout at
https://www.smugmug.com/signup.mg by inserting cupon code R1bXVzHCYtHts
ZenMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:08 AM   #56
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
I just ran a D606 front and a D908 rear. I had the 908 on the 640 but like it's been said before, they are squirly. I really liked that combo. I did 339 miles of everything but sand. I even ran tire pressure at 25 front and 30 rear. There was still good traction. I abused the tires prety hard and they did great. When I rode the 150 Karoo like that, it chunked. On the road, they did great. I got right up to the edge of the knobs and never once felt like I was pushing it. I think I found my killer tire combo!!! I have never been this confident with knobs!

Nate
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:40 AM   #57
b0mb3r
Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmnate
I have never been this confident with knobs!

Nate

White pig

Old 05-01-2006, 11:55 AM   #58
Chadd
I live in the wrong place

Oddometer: 467
I give them two thumbs..

I mounted these up for a trip down to the Trail of beers, get together this past weekend. I have to say that I am impressed with them.

They are a bit hairy on the street sometimes but I didn't notice them being as bad as some have mentioned. We rode in a lot of rain this weekend, wet pavement, mud, wet gravel, and I thought they hooked up well on everything. You can break the rear loose on wet pavement but I had to do it purpously.

They do get better once you get a few miles on them though. I put about 650miles of pavement, gravel, mud on them this weekend and they seem to be holding up very well.

They definately inspire more confidence while off road than the scorpions. When they let loose it is predictable and manageable. I ran 28/25 in mine and probably could have went down a bit more than that but they were not bad there.

Riding the 950 with these it gets hard to remember you are still riding a big heavy bike that is hard to get slowed down when you want to, I find my self doing a lot more sliding into and around tight turns with these than I do with the scorpions because I come in a lot hotter.

I wouldn't recommend them if the majority of your riding is street, but if you ride mainly gravel or off road they are the ticket. I will be putting my stock wheels with scorps mounted back on the bike for commuting
03 WR250F
95 GasGas JT25
Chadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:00 PM   #59
b0mb3r
Old Git

thanks Chadd

White pig

Old 05-01-2006, 01:09 PM   #60
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,687
I'm still running the D908RR front on my 300exc. I wish it would just die already! Ha ha. It kills me. I hate it and I can't wear it down
potatoho is offline   Reply With Quote