ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Rockies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #406
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Converting a route to tracks?

Hello all - I am planning this route for September. I bought a 60scx and what I thought was mapsource. It turned out to be something called RoadTrip. Anyways, it seems similar to my old Mapsource and bigdog's tracks were readily picked off my 'downloads' section of my MAC. So far so good. I have also loaded the Forever West tracks successfully. RoadTrip seems to have good detail because it matches up perfectly with my benchmark paper maps. For some reason I can't get cannonshot's tracks to download to Roadtrip. It doesn't recognize it as a GPX file.

My question is how can I create a route using tracks on my software. I found some great dirt roads I want to add to this trip. I can create a route easily enough, but I want to convert it to tracks for following it. Is there some other software I must buy to make the conversion?

I got the impression you people created the tracks on your laptop, and then exported it to your GPS device. Is that right?

Thanks
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #407
jprhode
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Technically someone "created" the track by riding it, and then retrieving the track info from their GPS unit. This is a bit of a religious issue, but after doing this last year my recommendation would be to use both tracks and routes.

I believe there is a way to automagically create a route from a track, but I did it by hand in Roadtrip (which beats Mapsource like a rented mule) by carefully tracing the track with the route tool. One of us 60c with the tracks loaded, and one of us had a 665 with the route loaded. Both were useful at different times. I don't know if your device will load both at the same time, but I think it will.

Before doing any of this though, if you are new to creating routes etc with your GPS, I'd recommend creating some small local ones and then go ride them. I don't know any other way to learn all of the funny things that can happen when you miss a turn and haven't chosen Route Via locations correctly, for example.

Those of the Track religion will tell you that tracks are simpler, and don't misbehave in the same ways that Routes do, and that is certainly true. They also are not as powerful, and you should know how to create new Routes from scratch, because there will be some portion of your trip that does not go as planned and you will need to be able to adapt, improvise, and overcome. But, when you are super confused because there is NO F#$%^&* ROAD where the route says there is supposed to be one, it is really nice to see someone's tracks to get you out of the fog.

This is a very big, long, and awesome trip. The Garmin devices, and Roadtrip, and the maps, are super helpful tools, but they are far from perfect, and having a personal familiarity with the imperfections will absolutely save you a ton of time.

cheers
Jason

PS It is really important to turn all of the "Avoidances" in your GPS to "OFF". I met someone who accidentally had his unit set to avoid unpaved roads, and was really annoyed with the directions it was giving him...
jprhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #408
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Thanks jprhode - I know how to generate routes on my roadtrip. I like to layout my trips in advance on my laptop. Up until now I have simply used my gps for measuring where I am on my routes. I used a streetpilot and mapsource for that.

I have imported the track files to roadtrip, but i've never actually ridden a track set. As soon as the weather clears I'll start practicing that, but I was hoping to be able to generate a trackset on my laptop and send it to my 60csx to try.

I suppose I could just ride a route in southern Utah and AZ, since there aren't many roads mistake with. I just like the track idea.

Thanks
Old 02-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #409
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I got the impression you people created the tracks on your laptop, and then exported it to your GPS device. Is that right?
Thanks
There are three ways to "get" tracks.

1) Ride a route and upload YOUR track to your computer. You can use your GPS to "Save" the Active Log, just upload the Active Log or upload the Active Log form the Data Card if you have it set to record them.

2) You can obtain other peoples actual Tracks from various Internet sites. I have the CDR tracks edited and ready to download to a 60/76 on GPSXchange.com Sounds like you did not see them.

3) You can hand draw (create) tracks on you computer with the draw tool. This is what I do to go check out some place/road I have never been on.

I promote many Dual Sport rides including Mex2Can.com and my riders have no problem following tracks even though I also always give them a Roll Chart. Many never even install the roll chart. No one in the Dual Sport tour business used Routes. However having lots of way points installed and being able to use "Find" - "Go To" is a great feature.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #410
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

thanks countdown - actually i found your edited gpx but the rules say i have to be a member to download and to do that i have to donate a gpx of my own. obviously i don't have anything to donate yet. as soon as i can make a gpx to share, i'll register and download your work on the cdr. i'll be solo on a light bike. i don't want to get myself in a jam, but the one section bigdog flagged as problematic is somewhere around pinedale. i think it is on a dirt section between pinedale and boulder. i'll just take the road since it's a short ways. if it's after boulder then i could have an issue, but not worried.

i read how to use my gps to create an active log and upload that to my roadtrip software. the drawing tool is what my software doesn't have. only a routing tool. i was hoping i could create a route and convert it to tracks somehow.

i read a lot of your posts to help others. thanks very much. you would think garmin software would come with a tutorial, but its pretty much hunt and peck until you find enough clues to make it work. i learned a lot about my csx from reading your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
There are three ways to "get" tracks.

1) Ride a route and upload YOUR track to your computer. You can use your GPS to "Save" the Active Log, just upload the Active Log or upload the Active Log form the Data Card if you have it set to record them.

2) You can obtain other peoples actual Tracks from various Internet sites. I have the CDR tracks edited and ready to download to a 60/76 on GPSXchange.com Sounds like you did not see them.

3) You can hand draw (create) tracks on you computer with the draw tool. This is what I do to go check out some place/road I have never been on.

I promote many Dual Sport rides including Mex2Can.com and my riders have no problem following tracks even though I also always give them a Roll Chart. Many never even install the roll chart. No one in the Dual Sport tour business used Routes. However having lots of way points installed and being able to use "Find" - "Go To" is a great feature.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #411
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

i found your edited gpx but the rules say i have to be a member to download

i read how to use my gps to create an active log and upload that to my roadtrip software. the drawing tool is what my software doesn't have. only a routing tool.

you would think garmin software would come with a tutorial, but its pretty much hunt and peck until you find enough clues to make it work. i learned a lot about my csx from reading your posts.
Item 1, NOT TRUE. Read the fine print under "Private Libraries", you can download if you are just registered, no need to post.

Item 2, Mapsource is a must have for tracks IMHO. It has the tracks draw tool.

Item 3, many af us advise; just start playing with your 60 you can't break it with pushing buttons. Drive to work an back different ways Save tracks on each way, upload ot PC the n clear all tracks, then download and follow the next day

I am giving class on 60/76 in a couple of weeks. This is my outline:

Add personal greeting with your phone number, there is at least one honest person out there.

Set up map with "Track Up" and a few other things.

Add/Remove "Pages" to be 1)Map, 2)Track, 3)Routes, 4)Trip Computer, Remove all others.

Change Trip Computer page to have "Speed" and "Time of day" in bottom two side by side boxes.

Change check marks on Trip Computer Page "Menu", "Reset" list to only reset Trip data and Max Speed (never have "Track Log" checked, always do that from track page).

Countdown screwed with this post 02-07-2011 at 09:12 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:45 AM   #412
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

countdown - i downloaded your cdr route from your private library. thanks. what is the red line?

-P
Old 02-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #413
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
countdown - i downloaded your cdr route from your private library. thanks. what is the red line? -P
Which ones?

Some actual tracks are optional hard ways that someone has taken.

The ones with state names that go from high peak to high peak is the actual divide so you can see how close you are.

I have scouted a new route across New Mexico that actually follows the divide as close as possible. Hope to work on Colorado this year.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #414
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

oh - the divide i'd guess. really long range intersections with the track.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #415
dendiesel
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Question what bike to take on CDR?

I was backpacking in WY last summer. Saw 3 guys at a gas station. They were dusty, had camping gear strapped to the back of their bikes. I think they were riding Kawasaki 250s. Said they were riding the Continental Divide from WY to Colorado. I love wilderness backpacking, used to ride bikes way back when, thought this looked like fun. Problem is, I'm 5'6", 140 lbs., and have trouble touching toes to the ground from the typically high dual sport seats. Also, don't want to spend a fortune retrofitting a bike. So I'm asking: is the CDR (or TAT) doable on a Honda CRF230 or a Yamaha XT250?
dendiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #416
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendiesel View Post
I was backpacking in WY last summer. Saw 3 guys at a gas station. They were dusty, had camping gear strapped to the back of their bikes. I think they were riding Kawasaki 250s. Said they were riding the Continental Divide from WY to Colorado. I love wilderness backpacking, used to ride bikes way back when, thought this looked like fun. Problem is, I'm 5'6", 140 lbs., and have trouble touching toes to the ground from the typically high dual sport seats. Also, don't want to spend a fortune retrofitting a bike. So I'm asking: is the CDR (or TAT) doable on a Honda CRF230 or a Yamaha XT250?
I bought a Yam wr250r for my cdr trip; put on a big tank, heated grips, soft panniers, bash plate, rad guard, lowered the shock adjustment, lowered more with a Yamalink, and even a lowered seat plus a new GPS. $3800 for the bike with 1k miles on it, and another $1400 for the extras. The two bikes you mentioned are probably plenty, but limited for the interstate travel it takes to get there. Ask your question in the thumpers section. They seem to know detailed capability of every single ever made.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #417
dendiesel
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thumb cdr thumper advice

thanks, Pantah. I'll follow up on that.
dendiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #418
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So I'm asking: is the CDR (or TAT) doable on a Honda CRF230 or a Yamaha XT250?
We get that question all the time on http://mex2can.com/ so last year I rode it on my CRF230. Love that bike but love my lowered Husky TE610 also. Altitude deficient 5' 8".
Old 02-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #419
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Any bike that can ride on a dirt road will do as long as you have the range to go about 240 miles between gas stops; or can carry extra gas to get you there. There are only a couple of sections that require that range.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:19 AM   #420
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 301
CTD trip from Texas.

Leaving Texas mid august to do this ride. Doing it south to north and then north to south back home. Should be heck of a ride. Few questions: 1. anyone have the link to download big dogs latest map?
2. Any suggestions on where I should start the route coming from Texas? Want to hit dirt roads asap.
3. Is there a different route I should try going or coming rather than doing the route twice?
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote