ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Rockies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 03:34 AM   #421
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer
 
NorthernTraveler's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: The Big Mitten
Oddometer: 394
Sor

You could try running Sam Corrado's SOR (Shadow of the Rockies) northbound - it starts 20 miles east of El Paso and goes to the SW corner of Wyoming.

I did CDR south bound followed by SOR north bound in '09 - heck of a ride!

They are pretty close in difficuly, although SOR goes over some slightly tougher passes - Tin Cup NW of Salida CO comes to mind.

Sam's route can be found on his website - www.transamtrail.com

Cheers!
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:25 AM   #422
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter
 
BigDogAdventures's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Mt. Vernon, Illinois
Oddometer: 4,656
BigDogs CDR gps file

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
Leaving Texas mid august to do this ride. Doing it south to north and then north to south back home. Should be heck of a ride. Few questions: 1. anyone have the link to download big dogs latest map?
2. Any suggestions on where I should start the route coming from Texas? Want to hit dirt roads asap.
3. Is there a different route I should try going or coming rather than doing the route twice?

Here you go
BigDogs CDR gps file


As far as a route back South---you could do the Mex/Can route I did last year---it's a lot harder in places---and is of course at least as long. There are many places a big bike won't make it. Don't let the easy scenic photos fool you on that ride. That whole story and ride is on my website HERE.

Any one can always e-mail for the CDR gps file.
But I'm leaving to Alaska in a few days and will be gone a couple months
and won't have cell or internet service probably.

BigDog
Attached Files
File Type: gpx BigDogs CD Ride.gpx (1.21 MB, 157 views)
__________________
WR250R 2008
KTM EXC 450 2006
Husqvarna TR650 Terra 2013
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 05-28-2011 at 04:32 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:59 AM   #423
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles
 
jtmajors's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Tx
Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
You could try running Sam Corrado's SOR (Shadow of the Rockies) northbound - it starts 20 miles east of El Paso and goes to the SW corner of Wyoming.

I did CDR south bound followed by SOR north bound in '09 - heck of a ride!

They are pretty close in difficuly, although SOR goes over some slightly tougher passes - Tin Cup NW of Salida CO comes to mind.

Sam's route can be found on his website - www.transamtrail.com

Cheers!
That's sounds great. Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll do SOR southbound since it uses Tin Cup. Friend has a cabin in St Elmo I could stop in for a visit labor day weekend.
__________________
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:34 AM   #424
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles
 
jtmajors's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Tx
Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post

Here you go
BigDogs CDR gps file


As far as a route back South---you could do the Mex/Can route I did last year---it's a lot harder in places---and is of course at least as long. There are many places a big bike won't make it. Don't let the easy scenic photos fool you on that ride. That whole story and ride is on my website HERE.

Any one can always e-mail for the CDR gps file.
But I'm leaving to Alaska in a few days and will be gone a couple months
and won't have cell or internet service probably.

BigDog
Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge. This sounds like a great ride, too. I will send you an email.
__________________
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #425
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles
 
jtmajors's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Tx
Oddometer: 279
Best Bike

For those of you who have completed this CDT route I wondered if you could give me insight on what type of bike would work best. This trip will be my first adventure trip and I am in the market for the bike I will use. Keeping in mind that I've got a fair amount of miles to cover from Texas to New Mexico before I hit the trail head. I consider myself an experienced rider as I have about 28 years under my belt. My number one concern is function and practicality not cost. These are the bikes that are on my list: bmw 800gs, triumph tiger 800xc, ktm 690, klr 650, street legal crf 450x or a street legal wr 450f. Of course I understand the more dirt bike specific ones will need a few more things to get them ready. Any bikes that are different than the ones I've mentioned that I should consider please let me know. First thing the wife said this morning was, "so are we going to go find you a bike today for your trip." She's a keeper for sure!
__________________
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #426
gpracer171
Kodak Courage
 
gpracer171's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Erlangen, Germany
Oddometer: 358
My thouhgts

Honestly, I did not find the CDT very difficult as an experienced rider. I have done it form NM to Canada. My brother and i did it on 2 f800GSs. He is much less experienced and the bikes worked flawlessly for both of us. There were 2 spots in tMT that were a bit challenging, but very doable. I will say that the ride back on interstate was much nicer on the BMW than it would have been on a more off-road set-up bike.

You can see the set-up we had.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Mike

2010 BWM F800GS
2007 Yamaha WR450

If you are not moving forward, you are falling behind...

"Harley Davidson - There is not more efficient method of converting fossil fuel to heat and noise without the by-product of power", Unknown
gpracer171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #427
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles
 
jtmajors's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Tx
Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpracer171 View Post
Honestly, I did not find the CDT very difficult as an experienced rider. I have done it form NM to Canada. My brother and i did it on 2 f800GSs. He is much less experienced and the bikes worked flawlessly for both of us. There were 2 spots in tMT that were a bit challenging, but very doable. I will say that the ride back on interstate was much nicer on the BMW than it would have been on a more off-road set-up bike.

You can see the set-up we had.
What about the SOR trail that Northern Traveler mentions? May hit that on my way back.
__________________
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #428
ybracing
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 605
Hi Mark,
My brother and I plan on riding your Mex/Can from north to south in mid July as a return for CDT. You mentioned there are places the big bikes will not make it. Could you please tell me what sections so I can create bypasses or bail out routes? We will both be riding 950 Adventures.
Thanks,
Richard



Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Here you go
BigDogs CDR gps file

As far as a route back South---you could do the Mex/Can route I did last year---it's a lot harder in places---and is of course at least as long. There are many places a big bike won't make it. Don't let the easy scenic photos fool you on that ride. That whole story and ride is on my website HERE.

Any one can always e-mail for the CDR gps file.
But I'm leaving to Alaska in a few days and will be gone a couple months
and won't have cell or internet service probably.

BigDog
ybracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #429
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter
 
BigDogAdventures's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Mt. Vernon, Illinois
Oddometer: 4,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybracing View Post
Hi Mark,
My brother and I plan on riding your Mex/Can from north to south in mid July as a return for CDT. You mentioned there are places the big bikes will not make it. Could you please tell me what sections so I can create bypasses or bail out routes? We will both be riding 950 Adventures.
Thanks,
Richard

The task you are asking me is overwhelming--It's impossible for me to remember every inch of a 29 day ride all the way across the US. We went downs hundreds of roads--with hundreds of obstacles---and thousands of places to get lost---hundreds of turn options and it all changes with time and weather. You can't ride the Idaho section till mid July till the snow melts. The Idaho part is the tour of Idaho-----the creator of that ride recommends a plated dirt bike----he's right. Very few people have finished the Tour Of Idaho--all because they never listen to the creators words.

I have a 950 and if that's all I had to ride the entire route as I rode it------I'd stay home.

Mark
__________________
WR250R 2008
KTM EXC 450 2006
Husqvarna TR650 Terra 2013
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #430
bttran
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bttran's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Houston,TX!!
Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
For those of you who have completed this CDT route I wondered if you could give me insight on what type of bike would work best. This trip will be my first adventure trip and I am in the market for the bike I will use. Keeping in mind that I've got a fair amount of miles to cover from Texas to New Mexico before I hit the trail head. I consider myself an experienced rider as I have about 28 years under my belt. My number one concern is function and practicality not cost. These are the bikes that are on my list: bmw 800gs, triumph tiger 800xc, ktm 690, klr 650, street legal crf 450x or a street legal wr 450f. Of course I understand the more dirt bike specific ones will need a few more things to get them ready. Any bikes that are different than the ones I've mentioned that I should consider please let me know. First thing the wife said this morning was, "so are we going to go find you a bike today for your trip." She's a keeper for sure!
Ahh an inmate from texas! I'm from houston and plan on riding this around august. Been trying to mess with the Bigdog gps coordinates on my garmin nuvi and not sure of where to start at.
bttran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #431
ybracing
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 605
Thanks for the advice. Have a great time in Alaska.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
The task you are asking me is overwhelming--It's impossible for me to remember every inch of a 29 day ride all the way across the US. We went downs hundreds of roads--with hundreds of obstacles---and thousands of places to get lost---hundreds of turn options and it all changes with time and weather. You can't ride the Idaho section till mid July till the snow melts. The Idaho part is the tour of Idaho-----the creator of that ride recommends a plated dirt bike----he's right. Very few people have finished the Tour Of Idaho--all because they never listen to the creators words.

I have a 950 and if that's all I had to ride the entire route as I rode it------I'd stay home.

Mark
ybracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #432
quasi_inrem
And then suddenly....
 
quasi_inrem's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Oddometer: 414
doing it in july

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
Leaving Texas mid august to do this ride. Doing it south to north and then north to south back home. Should be heck of a ride. Few questions: 1. anyone have the link to download big dogs latest map?
2. Any suggestions on where I should start the route coming from Texas? Want to hit dirt roads asap.
3. Is there a different route I should try going or coming rather than doing the route twice?
We will be taking a very similar route in july. I don't have any advice right now but I will post stuff here if I find anything out. Also, I will be posting tracks up as we complete the ride.
quasi_inrem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:08 AM   #433
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Oddometer: 1,579
I rode an 01 klr650 on the CDT and there were only one or two sections that were tough. This ride was my first real off road type ride but years of riding and reading what to expect helped. It's very doable, the KLR is a bit on the heavy side IMO. The Lava Mtn bypass didsn't show up on my GPSso that area had me sweating a lot but I did it. Get the bicycle club maps as they have tremendous detail. Use the fly over feature on Googl Earth also and you can see exactly what the terrain will be like, what any water crossings are, etc. We rode the trail from central CO S one year, and then N the next year. Rode pavement to get back to the start point.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:49 AM   #434
CBAT
occasional wanderer
 
CBAT's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Central Texas
Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
Leaving Texas mid august to do this ride. Doing it south to north and then north to south back home. Should be heck of a ride. Few questions: 1. anyone have the link to download big dogs latest map?
2. Any suggestions on where I should start the route coming from Texas? Want to hit dirt roads asap.
3. Is there a different route I should try going or coming rather than doing the route twice?
Head for Clayton NM and catch the SOR north to the TAT that will take you toward Salida, CO. On the way south ride the CDT all the way to the border, hop across to El Paso then do the SOR north to Clayton. It makes a nice loop out of southern CO and NM.
__________________
Bruce

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:28 PM   #435
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles
 
jtmajors's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Tx
Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
You could try running Sam Corrado's SOR (Shadow of the Rockies) northbound - it starts 20 miles east of El Paso and goes to the SW corner of Wyoming.

I did CDR south bound followed by SOR north bound in '09 - heck of a ride!

They are pretty close in difficuly, although SOR goes over some slightly tougher passes - Tin Cup NW of Salida CO comes to mind.

Sam's route can be found on his website - www.transamtrail.com

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bttran View Post
Ahh an inmate from texas! I'm from houston and

plan on riding this around august. Been trying to mess with the Bigdog gps Acoordinates on my garmin nuvi and not sure of where to start at.
Maybe we can meet up. I'm attempting this by myself because don't know anyone who adventure rides. What bike are you using and are you riding to the trailhead or trailering your bike?
__________________
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014