ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Rockies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 07-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #76
GSADVRDR
110%

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
I have a file on GPSXchange.com that has 20 tracks of 500 points each. They will all load in a color unit. What GPS are you using?
Cool, thanks! I've got the BMW (Garmin) Nav III. I assume I could just delete the tracks that aren't appropriate. Could you post it for me?
GSADVRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:31 PM   #77
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSADVRDR
Cool, thanks! I've got the BMW (Garmin) Nav III. I assume I could just delete the tracks that aren't appropriate. Could you post it for me?
The tracks are the boarder to boarder active log divided by 20 with each track filtered to 500 points so the 20 tracks will fit into a 60/76, etc.

You can delete the ones where you are not riding but you could also take the active log, cut it to the part you are interested in and then make 20 500 point tracks out of that and get more resolution than my 20 for the whole enchalada.

Don't understand "could you post"? They are on GPSXchange.com About half way down in Private Libraries. No posting required to read my files.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #78
fallzboater
Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilrider
I am planning to ride the CD Montana and Wyoming section in July and came upon this wealth of information. I shall try to use this as I am new to GPS stuff. Any guidance is appreciated.
Planning to use the Adventure cycle association maps for the route, for reference.
How worthwhile are these maps? I've got all the tracks, but just AAA state paper maps. Is the route the same (I guess I can check by downloading the GPS data from adventurecycling.org)? I plan to ride from Santa Fe, NM, to Grand Teton NP around the second week of Sept. I'll be camping, but on a big bike with Tourances, so I may want to avoid some more technical sections.

How does the Great Parks route compare to the GDR?
DoD #1360

'94 Cagiva e900 Elefant

fallzboater screwed with this post 08-04-2008 at 04:03 PM
fallzboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:38 AM   #79
Mountain Goat
Wandering Bike Dude

Oddometer: 205
An Update on the Idaho Part

I rode the Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming CD route last July. I used Big Dog's GPS route and it worked fine. Thanks BIGDog. But the old railroad tunnel in Idaho has fallen in and is closed. It looked like the roof failed about half way through the tunnel and lots of big rocks fell in. I had to back track and find another way around. Sure hated to see the old tunnel like that, I love riding through tunnels.

Carl
2003 DR650
2006 DRZ400s
2007 wee
1996 DR350se
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:01 AM   #80
mtndragon
Traveler

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
I rode the Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming CD route last July. I used Big Dog's GPS route and it worked fine. Thanks BIGDog. But the old railroad tunnel in Idaho has fallen in and is closed. It looked like the roof failed about half way through the tunnel and lots of big rocks fell in. I had to back track and find another way around. Sure hated to see the old tunnel like that, I love riding through tunnels.
Carl-
That's interesting, as I rode the trail in early August, and the one spot I deviated from Big Dog's route was that tunnel in Idaho, as it was getting late, and I wanted to cross into Wyoming before dark. I really enjoy tunnels as well, so it was a tough choice to skip it. Funny how it works.

Thank you Mark for the route, it was all that and more.
mtndragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:04 AM   #81
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,706
I wonder when it fell. For some unrelated reason we bypassed that section in July '07 too.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #82
Mountain Goat
Wandering Bike Dude

Oddometer: 205
Old Tunnel

That tunnel is on the south end of the 30 mile stretch of abandoned railroad rails to trail. If I was doing it again I would skip the RR stretch. The volcanic soil was loose and wash boarded. After a recent rain it would be firmer and ok to ride on, but after a long dry period it is like riding on loose sand with lots of whoops. Lots of ATVs all over it too. Here are some photos with one of the tunnel.
http://picasaweb.google.com/texaswombat2

Carl
Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:42 AM   #83
Staxrider
dirt dauber

Oddometer: 2,041
There is a trail on the outside of the tunnel that would allow you to pass. Everyone I encountered said this section was hell on a motorcycle due to deep gravel and rutting by 4 wheelers.

Staxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #84
cruthas
AdvMotorcyclist Counselor

Oddometer: 235
Is the New Mexico part of this route still doable? I am mainly worried about hitting snow in the mountains. If not can you recommend a route in New Mexico, I am headed to El Paso and then to Tierra Del Fuego coming from Denver, CO.

www.mototheworld.com
<-------- My Journey

My Moto Video Diaries Part I

My Moto Video Diaries Part II

2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
1995 Kawasaki KLR 650
1981 Honda CB750
1998 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1997 Kawasaki Ninja 600R

cruthas screwed with this post 10-27-2008 at 09:46 PM
cruthas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:52 AM   #85
bullfrog
Dismember

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruthas
Is the New Mexico part of this route still doable?
+1

Thanks.

bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:23 PM   #86
drdphi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Wicked

Where did you get that JJ hat? Those are some great sandwiches!!
drdphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #87
Beowolf
..thanks for all the fish

Oddometer: 33
Help?

I'm not very bright. In fact, I might be a bit of a stump. Specifically, I'm talking about GPS and getting this ride into my Zumo.
My bro and I are leaving for the CD ride, south to north, in early July on a couple 1150 GS rides. I can't seem to figure it out!
Can someone give me step by step instructions on getting there, A to Z? I need the instructions in English, with a minimum of .bfd, .pdq, .ftw type of lingo.
I humbly await your responses...
Thanks
Mark
Beowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #88
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,706
Not a Zumo guy, but from what I know of them - It's going to take some doing to make this file work on a Zumo. And no offense, but it doesn't sound like you will be able to do it. Hopefully someone else can help you out.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #89
Beowolf
..thanks for all the fish

Oddometer: 33
No offense taken at all. I know I can't figure it out on my own, but are you saying that it can't be done on a Zumo by a smart person? Maybe a third grader or something like that? If so I bought the wrong GPS. Dang it. Any one else with a good idea?
Beowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #90
huggybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
[quote=Beowolf]No offense taken at all. I know I can't figure it out on my own, but are you saying that it can't be done on a Zumo by a smart person? Maybe a third grader or something like that? If so I bought the wrong GPS. Dang it. Any one else with a good idea?[/quote

Go to www.zumoforums.com and register to that site and You will get all the info You need
I would read thru the site first [Q&A] then ask for help
huggybear is offline   Reply With Quote