Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 05:16 AM   #556
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfund View Post
Oh man, is it up for sale again? Maybe I should buy it and run down to Panama this winter. I'm bikeless again. I sold my 690 to RTW Noah.

Hey Luke,
I've thought about you a lot and wondered what you've been doing.

Being bikeless is very bad-----very bad-----I just can't imagine a guy like you not having one.

What bikes are on your list now Luke ?????
I've got my KLR for sale now ---you better get it quick--people are beating
my door down for that thing (NOT)----it may have as much history as the TE.
I'm not sure I want you to have my KLR-----you tend to run them right off in a big mudhole

950 is for sale too----you can run it in a mudhole-----but not my precious KLR.

Sorry about the thread hi-jak

Oh--hell it's my thread-----I can hi-jak it If I want too.

BigDog

The bike you should have took to Africa (just kidding)--not really.

And the bike that would have broke down in Africa is for sale too
You'd a been cool on that-------broke down------but cool.

Looking at this picture I just remembered where that other stainless steel tool tube went---------I made 2 of them out of the
mufflers on my current 950.

One is still on the KLR------and the other is buried in the mud I'm sure---------hey them things cost $850 a piece.

2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 05:28 AM
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:30 AM   #557
Fishfund
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
I'll join the hijack with you Mark. Here is a picture update of what I've been up too. I hope you enjoy.

After Africa I bought a house and put in stadium seating.

Then I built ramps in the backyard.

Then I broke my ankle/leg riding the ramps.

Now I am immobile and can't drive my car which is a stick. I talk my friends into going in with me and we buy 5 Chinese mopeds for $650 each out the door. I adventurize mine and take it from Lansing to Chicago to see if it will survive. It does.

It was a 10 hr drive there and we camped on the way back.

I fell in love with scooters and filled up the garage. Now I have 3 and the rest of these are my roommates.

My leg started healing so I took the 3-wheeler out on the ramp for some doubles action.

Now I am really obsessed and fly to Florida with a friend to get some warm weather and we rent some 150's to explore the keys. Those 150's are fast

Now the cast is off and I have been walking for two weeks. It is getting stronger and I have that "itch" again for a big trip. I want to buy a 2013 Honda PCX150 scooter and try my original trip again. The goal being driving from Texas to the Darien gap and back.

I caught the smaller is better bug, so I don't think I'll be driving through an ice storm to pick up your KTM or KLR.
I will throw this idea out. I want to do a trip with you, and write and film a high quality ride report. It would be so much fun.
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:22 AM   #558
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfund View Post
I caught the smaller is better bug, so I don't think I'll be driving through an ice storm to pick up your KTM or KLR.
I will throw this idea out. I want to do a trip with you, and write and film a high quality ride report. It would be so much fun.
Yes---I caught the smaller is better bug a few years ago----and it allowed me to go places I couldn't on the bigger bikes.
Hence the sale of my 950.

I've been lookin' at scooters myself---------------I know I'll have one by spring----the 150 Honda is a great machine.

I won't get one bigger than a 400 when I do.

I'm not sure I could hang with you Luke on a ride-----------well maybe on the scooters as long as it don't include ramps,

You won't break my legs will you ???? I'm do for a leg break----been awhile

Mark
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #559
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,874
I've been through three knee surgeries in the last two years, two a result from the first for an ACL recon that was messed up and a neck fractures (C3 spinal cord contusion) from a mountain bike accident that left me completely paralized for 24 hours and then fitted with a hard shell neck brace for 3 months. .. but that ankle injury makes me cringe just looking at it..

Told myself laying in the trauma center I would sell anything I had that was dangerous if I could just one day walk again but that only lasted a few months .. pretty difficult to give up the things you love in life... Two wheels can be terribly additictive habit and the rewards are too tough to pass up.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #560
Dualsport
Maker of Sweet Cheek

Oddometer: 802
Well guys, I decided to sell the old girl. She runs and rides better than a new one.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...6#post20098516

Mark and Luke if you want me to remove anything from the add, let me know.

Dualsport screwed with this post 11-22-2012 at 12:38 PM
Dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #561
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 809
Hi all, I cruised thru the thread and have a couple questions I didn't find answers to. There is an 06 TE610 for sale locally that I may be interested in. Are there any specific issues or things to check for on this bike? It has 6500 miles and seem to be in good shape. Does the rear get pretty soft when lowered with links? It's a little tall for me but I am heavy, so I'm afraid I may overwhelm the suspension after it's lowered. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Murf
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #562
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,874
replacement springs are available for the rear shock and also front forks to accommodate various weight loads..
Old 01-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #563
Dualsport
Maker of Sweet Cheek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2 View Post
Hi all, I cruised thru the thread and have a couple questions I didn't find answers to. There is an 06 TE610 for sale locally that I may be interested in. Are there any specific issues or things to check for on this bike? It has 6500 miles and seem to be in good shape. Does the rear get pretty soft when lowered with links? It's a little tall for me but I am heavy, so I'm afraid I may overwhelm the suspension after it's lowered. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Murf
Murf, lowering the TE will effect the handling off road.

Look at a DR650. It is a lot lower and still does pretty well.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #564
Dualsport
Maker of Sweet Cheek

The old girl is ready for another season.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #565
Dualsport
Maker of Sweet Cheek

This is strange. Doing a little history search on a XR650R I have (4th time I bought the SAME bike)
I think it was gaspipe's.
Did he sell it to leewildwater? If so I bought it a couple years ago.
Sure looks good sitting next to the BigDog TE610
Old 08-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #566
Gamequeazy
Curbjumper

Oddometer: 769
Back to the land of lincoln

Latest owner checking in!

Brought her back home to Illinois yesterday:

Fiddle with the suspension a bit and lo and behold my 5'9" skinny self can ride the old girl with nary a problem

Took her out on her maiden (well... with me anyway!) voyage and hit everything from interstate to fast gravel roads to tight singletrack. Great steed, and I'm happy to do my part in continuing it's legacy.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #567
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
Thanks much for this thread. Great real world info on the 610. It's at the top of my want list now, maybe beat out by the KTM 690, but can't find a used one for a good price. I've owned 3 KLRs, 3 DRZs, a bunch of XRs, I am now dual sporting an 01 GasGas 250 2 stroke, and loving it. GasGas gave it a low first gear, tall 6th, and enough torque to gear it up for a 90mph (screaming)! top end with a reasonable 1st gear. If I wasn't too cheap to buy a Rekluse, I could gear it even higher and still do singletrack. I still ride the DRZ on longer DS rides, but many times I'm not riding more than 50 miles from home, (100 mile round trips), and very few pavement miles so the GasGas is just as good as the DRZ when not camping.

Considering a new DS bike to replace the DRZ. Love the Dizzers but hate the gearing, no 6th or 7th gear. A factory 440 kit and a 7 speed DRZ would be perfect. Why don't factories read enthusiast websites and just cash in? We do the technical research, marketing legwork, and even real world long term testing. All they gotta do is what we say we want, figure out a competitive price, and sell! No need to re-tool completely every few years, just offer XRL 650s, DRZs, with more power and better gearing, maybe bigger tanks for a reasonable price. KLRs with 20 more horsepower, and an option to not buy the funky easily breakable crotch-rocket fairing that costs 750 bucks to replace. The old KLR fairing worked fine with a Rally style windscreen.

Am I really smart, or is the Jap factory guys really dumb? If the money's easy, why not make it? Husky and KTM have figured it out.
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:23 AM   #568
Dualsport
Maker of Sweet Cheek

Glad to see she made it home OK.
I hope it continues to give the trouble free service, it did for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgas View Post
Am I really smart, or is the Jap factory guys really dumb?
Yes you is
Old 10-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #569
aaron2a
supermoto hooligan

Oddometer: 674
I'm looking at a 08 husky te610 with 6000 miles on it... He is asking 5000 for it. I was wanting to know if this was a good deal and wondering about the power it has. I'm a supermoto junkie so it will get some 17s. Was wondering what the top speed is and how good does it wheelie :) any input is good. Thanks
aaron2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #570
Gamequeazy
Curbjumper

Oddometer: 769
Got around to pulling the clutch to solve The Case of The Missing Clutch, and I am pretty sure I found out whatdunnit. Well, at least I hope so. Adjusted the cable all the way on both ends and still have slack in it. Hope it isn't a cracked clutch arm/shaft thing...

Not really washers anymore, not to mention a couple of the ones that were just nubs done fell out and disappeared as soon as I got the rivets that hold the assembly together out.

The basket has taken a beating as well.

The clutch has been pulled before based on the mangling of the lock washer, but the rivets were untouched meaning that these spring washers are original! No wonder I found little bits of shiny stuff in the screen filter....

Looks like it's time to order some parts.