Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2005, 06:41 PM   #76
Ergo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Thumb Sweet new Husqvarna TE610E Dualsport...

Husky TE450, 510, or 610E???

Old 12-17-2005, 06:52 PM   #77
starsvw
dreaming the dream.....

Oddometer: 64
Keep it coming! This is on the short list for me eventually....this or the klr however the husky has some major advantages such as power and oh yeah 6 spd.........

looking for ward to further write ups!
starsvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 07:38 PM   #78
Norman Foley
Devotee of the Husqvarna

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford
BigDog...you're ride report and a deposit by a guy buying my KTM 450 EXE has me all worked up for this Husky. If you have a tach...how many revs at 60 mph, and what kinda tires did it come with...D606 or something Pirelli?
My '03 TE610E will run less than 3500 rpm(on stock analog tach) at 60 mph. With stock gearing(15/45) will work in easy single track, cruise at 70 mph and go over 100 mph with revs to spare. The '06 is similar.

Make Haste, Slowly
Norman Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 07:50 PM   #79
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,885
[/QUOTE]

That's what you have the KLR for, right? Or do you see this bike replacing the "trusty one"

Nice bike Mark[/QUOTE]

No I don't see it replacing my KLR-------I will still use it for Adventure touring carrying full camping gear--and not doing severe offroad. Hi Joe
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 07:55 PM   #80
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsquiggy
Your GPS has a voltmeter?
I think most Garmins have the option of showing the voltage display---I know for sure the GPSIII, IV, V, 176, 176C, 276, 276C have it----as I have owned all of them. It's an option that can be shown on the screen. It's probably useless to most people---but I seem to run bikes with minimal charging capacities and run a lot of heated gear and push it to the limit----so I keep an eye on the voltage when I do that. In warm weather I turn that option off and put something else in there such as altitude.

Sometimes on my KLR I'll run heated grips, vest, arm chaps, gloves leg chaps and intermittent 100watt high beam--since it only puts out 280 watts---I'm on the edge and I know it---when idling thru a town I have to turn something off or I'll have a dead battery. In the daytime on a cold day---I have a headlight switch I added to help things out.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:06 PM   #81
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb
I thought we were going to have to wait until Spring! We're covered in snow and ice here in Montana. It was 0degreesF this morning.
Some of us are wondering what you think you'll be able to cruise at comfortably on the highway, how wide the gear box range is. So add that to the mileage/tank question and keep it coming. I think you are on to something there for a great dual sporter, Montana/Mexico style.
JB
It is relaxed at 70mph----If I am really accellerating hard I may not put into 6th till almost 70mph. The gears seem to me to all have the same equal distance between them. I never liked gear boxes with that big jump between any two gears--never saw the point in that.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:17 PM   #82
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
great thread. I'm in the market for something along these lines and appreciate the insight.

question. the 2006 Husky 510 Enduro is listed as close to 70 pounds less on the website. was it a consideration?
NO---it's much more racy--much more----too the point of high strung and more maintenance intensive---that just comes with the territory. Even tho I've rode offroad bikes all my life---I'm 54 years old and don't need or want something too high strung. This bike really fits the bill for me. A serious single tracker or racer should get the 510-----as good as the 610 is--I don't think it is quite race worthy as is.--------but heck it's been 15 years since I raced--what do I know
Old 12-17-2005, 08:29 PM   #83
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
NO---it's much more racy--much more----too the point of high strung and more maintenance intensive---that just comes with the territory. Even tho I've rode offroad bikes all my life---I'm 54 years old and don't need or want something too high strung. This bike really fits the bill for me. A serious single tracker or racer should get the 510-----as good as the 610 is--I don't think it is quite race worthy as is.--------but heck it's been 15 years since I raced--what do I know
great work. without getting too personal...whats your size and weight, and out of curiosity, can you list the bikes you raced in chronological order, and relate how this bike impresses you power and handling compared to the bikes you offroaded that you thought you were really hauling ass on, in the context of this stage of your life?

I'm really wanting one of these....
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:18 PM   #84
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,264
Quote:
great work. without getting too personal...whats your size and weight, and out of curiosity, can you list the bikes you raced in chronological order, and relate how this bike impresses you power and handling compared to the bikes you offroaded that you thought you were really hauling ass on, in the context of this stage of your life?

He's real close to your height and weight, Flug.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:29 AM   #85
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Quote:

My 52 Cushman really couldn't compare with the accelaration of the 610 as it was severely handicapped------first gear was blown on it's 2-speed transmission. I could of done a lot better--but those dog paddling starts just didn't cut it.

The flywheel key won't shear off the crankshaft of the new 610 if you wind er' up too much like my old Yamaha DT-1

It is heavier than both my Hodaka Wombat--and Combat Wombat (yes I had the high strung racy model)----but won't drown out if you run over a little dog piss.

And unlike my old Bultaco Alpina----the 610 won't run backwards and throw you over the handlebars if you kill the motor and it backfires.

The only brakes I had on my brand new Bultaco Pursang when racing moto-X was the compression release mounted in the head---it's so nice to be able to stop now.

I still think my Husky 390 Automatic would beat my newer Husky to the first turn------but the lack of engine braking and shoe brakes would get you in the end--and yes you would finish in last place................or maybe I was just slow.

And dismounting to start those old left hand kickstarters was a pain--now I can just hit the starter button !!!! Yes I like that a lot !!

Man my BSA 440 with a straight pipe put a smile on your face as you blasted thru the woods-----the smile was soon gone as a 2 legged dog passes you then it shoots oil all over the place and wheezes to a stop for any of a number of reasons. The new 610 doesn't leak or wheeze--I like that too !!

There are some others I to embarased to admit too.

Well----I finally moved on to a bunch of XR's, ATK 605, RMX's, Got pretty fast in the hare scrambles (old timers class)--------but now I'm way older (54) and as good as the Husky is--------I'm still slow----damn it

By the way I'm 5' 11" (less 1")
And weigh 183 lbs. (plus 17lbs.--for the last 3 X-mas's)

Heck---all this talk is useless without pictures !!!
Look at the size of that front brake hub--Fred Flintstone had better brakes.
And look at all the dust---guess I was't in first.......maybe I was lapping everybody......can't remember.......olds timers you know.

I don't get air anymore----well except after my early morning coffee.
I didn't invent the nack-nack----or no hander lander---but perfected the butt pucker and high side.

I don't know yet if I can say if it's the best dirt bike I ever owned----as I've owned some much lighter ones--but it's definitely the best born street legal offroad bike I ever owned----unless it blows up tomorrow, then it will be the worst

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 12-18-2005 at 10:40 AM
Old 12-18-2005, 08:04 AM   #86
iDave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
I think most Garmins have the option of showing the voltage display---I know for sure the GPSIII, IV, V, 176, 176C, 276, 276C have it----as I have owned all of them. It's an option that can be shown on the screen. It's probably useless to most people---but I seem to run bikes with minimal charging capacities and run a lot of heated gear and push it to the limit----so I keep an eye on the voltage when I do that. In warm weather I turn that option off and put something else in there such as altitude.

Sometimes on my KLR I'll run heated grips, vest, arm chaps, gloves leg chaps and intermittent 100watt high beam--since it only puts out 280 watts---I'm on the edge and I know it---when idling thru a town I have to turn something off or I'll have a dead battery. In the daytime on a cold day---I have a headlight switch I added to help things out.
Thanks for the reply. I need to install a voltmeter on my DRZ SM for the same reason you stated. I just checked the manual on my Garmin 76C and it doesn't have the voltmeter function .

Great thread!
iDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 01:43 PM   #87
BigDogAdventures OP
Fart Letter

Actual gas tank size-----you can take this to the bank

After riding my TE610 yesterday I drained the gas tank while it was sitting straight up on my bike stand------- I drained the tank using the main petcock first---then opened the left one and got 3 pints more out of it. I don't see why you couldn't use this as a reserve---although while riding with gas splashing around in the tank, things could work out different. I loaded it on my trailer and took it too town and filled it to the brim.

3.487 Gallons-------and you can take that to the bank.

The owners manual says 3.2..........Husky's online specs say 3.7. Neither are right.

Now we just need to know how many miles per gallon she is going to get on an average------got to give here another thrashing to find that out.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:21 PM   #88
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,485
Bash plate

You mentioned back in this thread of a lack of bash plate fabricators for the Husky. Have you contacted www.utahsportcycle.com ? I understand he does a lot of designs that end up being branded by other folks...Baja Designs I think was one of their customers.

Another good fabricator is Flatland racing

Also, what about radiator protectors. Will the Husky need them? I had some from a guy in Indianapolis on my DRZ...were very well done. I could dig out the name.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 03:56 PM   #89
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,116
One of the purdiest motorcyles ever built:

But what's with that freaking rider? Tuck and roll kneepads and a cowboy hat???!!!! sheesh. Maybe I need to rent a BigDog trip with that yahoo just for the action. Prolly make a home movie my kids, kids, kids would like.-p
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 04:08 PM   #90
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,906
I don't know if I'd trust B.D's comments. We all know the hard core racers rode "Super Combat Wombats"

2whlrcr screwed with this post 12-18-2005 at 04:19 PM
2whlrcr is online now   Reply With Quote