Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #31
rjudge
Texan from near Muskogee

Oddometer: 195
No reverse because of liability?

I guess I don't get it. Why is it a big liability issue if you are able to reverse a route in the unit but not a liability issue if you can reverse a route in Mapsource and upload it into the GPS. The same problem exists with one way streets and freeways. Stupid decision made by a bunch of pinhead nanny lawyers if you ask me. No offence intended... well... maybe a little.

RJ
Old 04-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #32
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,047
What do people mean by reversing and "Autoroute" vs reversing a "Route"?
Old 04-13-2009, 11:54 AM   #33
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,834
Actually with the 276/376/478 I think you can reverse a route only if when you load it from mapsource, you only load it as a direct route and let the GPS "calculate" the route from the waypoints you have selected. So technically when you first click to activate the route, it's just a bunch of via points using straight lines like the old GPS III+ and other non-routable GPS used. When you go into menu options from here, one of them is to reverse the route and then you can calculate it from there.

If you send over a route that was "calculated" in MapSource, then the option is not there to reverse it in the GPS.

This is just from my memory, but I'm pretty sure that is how it works. I think the V does the same thing.

There is another advantage to sending a "direct route" to your GPS if you didn't have the correct mapset selected when you "calculated" the route or if you are sharing the route with several friends and everyone is using different versions of maps in their GPS. Say you send a "calculated" route to your gps using City Nav 2009 NT on the PC, but that particular GPS is using City Nav 2008 NT. It will tell you the maps don't match and it will ask if you want to recalc. If you select yes all you end up with is your original starting and ending points, but all other waypoints in between are discarded, so pretty much a worthless route if you had really gone out of your way to plan it. If you say no, you have the original route from via point to via point, but it doesn't follow roads so it isn't very user friendly. However, if you send a direct route with just waypoints and actually have enough of them to "force" it to go the way you intended, most times you end up with a very similar route that can be used by anyone once they recalc it on their particular GPS. When it recalcs a direct route, it keeps all the via points, so you end up with a route that is pretty close, if not exact to the original one.

But in the end, usually best option is to calculate the route using the correct map version that is in the GPS so it passes over correctly. When I'm on trips with friends, I usually have every version loaded in my PC and just duplicate each of the routes and recalculating them for each version of maps we need. Its tedious, but it works.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 04-13-2009 at 12:06 PM
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #34
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
Actually with the 276/376/478 I think you can reverse a route only if when you load it from mapsource, you only load it as a direct route and let the GPS "calculate" the route from the waypoints you have selected. So technically when you first click to activate the route, it's just a bunch of via points using straight lines like the old GPS III+ and other non-routable GPS used. When you go into menu options from here, one of them is to reverse the route and then you can calculate it from there.

If you send over a route that was "calculated" in MapSource, then the option is not there to reverse it in the GPS.
There's another way I've been messing with, but it doesn't work for loops.

Take the loaded route, and re-calc it. Then hit "nav" again and "edit Vias" Delete the first via point, then move the to the end of the route and insert a via point that is at or near the via point you just deleted from the beginning. Then allow the unit to automatically sort the route, but don't allow it to move the last via point. You'll get a route through all your via points, generally in reverse order. Works if you're at the end of the route that you want to be the beginning.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:05 AM   #35
x650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
The Oregon series can reverse routes.
x650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:32 AM   #36
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by x650
The Oregon series can reverse routes.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure the unit calcs the route once it's loaded. My 76c can reverse routes, but a route is only a series of waypoints that the unit autoroutes between when you open the route for the first time.

The 478 downloads routes exactly as they are in mapsource, with all the same turns etc, and they just open without recalcing.

If you load a route from mapsource to the 478 but load it only as a series of via points, the 478 can invert the routes as well. But you are relying on the unit to calc the route, and it may not be exactly the same as the route you created in mapsource.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #37
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
There's another way I've been messing with, but it doesn't work for loops.

Take the loaded route, and re-calc it. Then hit "nav" again and "edit Vias" Delete the first via point, then move the to the end of the route and insert a via point that is at or near the via point you just deleted from the beginning. Then allow the unit to automatically sort the route, but don't allow it to move the last via point. You'll get a route through all your via points, generally in reverse order. Works if you're at the end of the route that you want to be the beginning.
That is a good trick. However I have been done some reversing with City Nav and found that if you have a waypoint on a divided road when you reverse you get two U-turns to go through the waypoint.