User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2005, 06:32 PM   #1
sherpa OP
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,178
640 noob's first mod

I just got this 05 640...been able to put a grand sum total of 150 miles on it so far. These guys really liked it.

It must be about 4 years ago that a friend gave me my first GPS...a Garmin V...I have a 276C now. I'll admit it...it's hard to leave home on the bike without one now. So this was obviously the first place to start with setting up my new ride.

I wanted the GPS to tuck into the front fairing nice and close...there was just enough room. First thing to do was secure a base to the bike.

The rearward of the two bolts connects to a small bracket I made which attaches to the bikes frame. Both this bracket and the base in the pic above are cut out of 1/8" aluminum plate

Next thing to do was attach the Touratech cradle to my base. I also added a diagonal brace to the setup. The stock flip up GPS attenna wasn't gonna work with how tight I wanted to get this thing into the fairing pocket. I went with the remote auto antenna on a little shelf I added behind the GPS.

The Touratech cradle I use is actually the one Touratech sells for the 176. I like it's flat design better than the triangular one they sell for the 276.

Fit's in there nice and custom like.

I also added another bracket to the Touratech cradle. You can see it on the left side of the GPS in the pic above. The latching bar on the Touratech cradle doesn't do much for holding in that left side of the GPS. I've had my GPS come loose and almost fall out a couple of times...not good. On a recent trip out to see Gary Emig I saw this mod on his bike...he's had the same thing happen to his 276C. I know a good idea when I see it...all credit goes to Gary for this little bracket mod. Here's the bracket I made.

The knob came from Lowes, and I drilled and tapped a hole into the side of the Touratech cradle. I epoxied an additional piece of 3/16" thick aluminum to the inside of the cradle, inorder to get some more threads in there. You can see the additional piece in this pic.

Like I said, I've only ridden 150 miles, but the GPS seems rock solid so far...and it's mounting location puts it in my field of view better than the install I have on my GS. I'm happy with this install.

Next thing to do is add an additional fuse block to power up some heated grips and my heated vest... ...plus hard wire the GPS.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:41 PM   #2
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,897
Looks good! Thanks for sharing a nicely executed mod.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,250
Nicely done

I have been thinking about re-doing my dash as well with the thought of having everything tucked in...

How does the sat ant. receive while covered by the fairing?
Old 12-12-2005, 07:44 PM   #4
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,730
looks cool sherpa... nice werk.

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:03 PM   #5
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Oddometer: 6,312
Ditto, good stuff....

Now, get after that "fudge packer" front fender.
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:29 PM   #6
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Hell of a nice job sherpa. Much more stylish than the roadbook rack most of us have.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:38 AM   #7
braaap!
waiting for the big one

Oddometer: 2,350
very tidy Sherpa!

I'd be very interested to hear about the reception from the remote receiver too!
and how much does the tourtech mount 'flonk' around when mobile?

just got my 276 and wacked it on the bike using the oem dash bracket plus a bit of aluminium (aluminum?) just to road test....

these units are pretty robust.... or how long will this last before all those clever chinese inside go on strike?

8yo niece's comment.... '' that's cool, a TV!''
braaap! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:12 AM   #8
Trevor S
Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpa
Nice looking job.. This external antenna screamed at me as "not going to work", I presume it does ? What's the Sat reception like ? How many Sats compared to the flip up antenna ?

Garmin mapping is pretty much useless where I ride, plus my Pocket PC gives me many more options.. Here's my GPS dash mod

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...13&postcount=1
Trevor S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:53 AM   #9
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Sherpa,

That's a great job you did on mounting that 276. I'm going to be adding one of those to my bike in the near future. One of Santa's Elves told me I may be getting one soon.

Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:05 AM   #10
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,176
Schweet setup.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:28 AM   #11
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4 Pilot
Sherpa,

One of Santa's Elves told me I may be getting one soon.
Would that be the cute one you sleep with?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:43 AM   #12
G.Kennedy

Oddometer: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4 Pilot
Sherpa,

That's a great job you did on mounting that 276. I'm going to be adding one of those to my bike in the near future. One of Santa's Elves told me I may be getting one soon.

Hiya LC4 ... gettin nervous !!! we'll miss you on OMR ride this weekend.

I like the way Sherpa has it tucked down in ... I have repeatedly hit my helmet visor on my GPS when the going gets rough uphill.
IBA#11791
G.Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:43 AM   #13
GunshipDriver
Adventure in Iraq '07!

Oddometer: 464
05 Orange... drool...
Old 12-13-2005, 09:52 AM   #14
sherpa OP
...Robert

Thanks for the kind words guys.

The remote antenna.

While I had the fairing off, I took it outside and placed the GPS under the fairing to test out the reception with both antennas. The plastic fairing interfers with satelight reception very little if at all. The remote antenna's packaging had some install info included, in which, there was a little blip about metal interfering with reception...evidently plastic is not a problem. Both antennas will actually pick up and lock onto 5 or 6 satelights while inside of my garage.

If I had to put a number on it, I'd say the remote antenna is about 10% better at picking up and locking onto the satelights as the stock flip up antenna...not a lot in other words...it's mostly a space saving move.

On thing to note though...the differences in the two antennas might turn out to be greater in a harder to lock on environment than my driveway....like in canyons.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

Old 12-13-2005, 10:10 AM   #15
sherpa OP
...Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by braaap!
very tidy Sherpa!........................................... .....................and how much does the tourtech mount 'flonk' around when mobile?
Not sure what "flonk" means. But if you're not familiar with the Touratech mount, let me try to explain...warning though...I've yet to master the English language.

The mount is actually two pieces, separated by those big rubber dampeners you can see in the pics. The outer piece is attached to the bike, the inner piece floats on the rubber dampeners. The GPS sits in the inner piece, under the locking bar. The dampeners isolate the GPS from the high frequency vibes that single piston engines put out.

If you talk with the people at Cycoactive they don't feel this mount is necessary on twins like the GS. When you're riding over washboard stuff and look down at the GPS it is actually bouncing (flonking ) around in it's cradle quite a bit. According to Cycoactive this bouncing is not what damages the GPS...it is that constant high frequency vibration. That's the info they gave me anyway....your mileage may differ.

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW