User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2005, 07:53 PM   #1
RustySpokes OP
Two-bit throttle bum

Oddometer: 1,021
Darien liner worth the $?

I bought a used Darien light jacket from the flea market that didn’t have a liner. Now that it’s wintertime I need some more layers. So is the Darien liner worth the money? I would also use it under my 2 Piece Roadcrafter for commuting and really cold rides.
How about the electric liner?
Any other recommendations?

Thanks,
Old 12-13-2005, 08:04 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,170
I have the Darian with the Kinetsu electric liner. It works pretty good down to about 15.

I have to admit, though, that the Widder it replaced was hotter.

Still, it works just fine and zips into the Darien, so I like it anyhow.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:17 PM   #3
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,536
I have the Darien liner and love it!

It's 200 weight Polartec with nylon on one side -- additional wind-proofness inside the Darien -- Reversable -- black/grey. I wear it as a regular jacket most of the winter and sometimes skiing.

IMHO -- very nice.

That said, if you have a North Face or similar high quality polar fleece jacket, you don't really need the Aerostich one. I haven't tried it, but I think my North Face Denali will zip into my Darien.

kfs
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:01 PM   #4
janders
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Nope.

Zip-in liners have a tendency to leak heat because they leave a gap in insulation right down the center of your torso (at least a wider gap than if you zipped it to itself). That's the place you're gonna lose the most heat riding a MC.

Just use a normal fleece jacket that you can get alot cheaper or better yet, some heated gear.

I love my aerostitch gear but I have to laugh when I look at how expensive their non-heated liners are.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:15 AM   #5
Coonass
Banned By BMWRider

Oddometer: 3,020
just went through this process. went to search the thread but it didn't show up. finally found it here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106154
Old 12-14-2005, 04:20 AM   #6
rcompton
I am not Iron Man

Oddometer: 2,519
Gerbings (full sleeved liner). Or I hear good things about the new warm and safe jacket. it is a more flexible piece that packs up smaller and will keep you warmer. The 'stich fleece stuff is nice, but for the money an electric liner will give you much more bang for the buck, imo.

Kurt Vonnegut
rcompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:49 AM   #7
rtrider
Lost

Oddometer: 3,722
its not much more than a regular fleece - so if you have one of those or can find one cheaper, i wouldn't bother with the darien liner. One nice feature however is that it has a self-storage pouch built in so if you want to pack it it is really easy - you just stuff it into itself.
rtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:52 AM   #8
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,514
Nope

I have one and never use it. Why? I typically just use the Gerbing or another fleece liner that I don't zip into the jacket. It's just easier to use a liner (Gerbing, fleece, whatever) that you put on and then put on the Darien/Kilimanjaro/Roadcrafter,etc...

My liner has been worn just a few time. If it's cold enough for a liner, then the Gerbing gets the nod. But I live in a cold climate (Colorado). Depending on where you live a fleece may be better.

T.
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:04 AM   #9
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by janders
Nope.

Zip-in liners have a tendency to leak heat because they leave a gap in insulation right down the center of your torso (at least a wider gap than if you zipped it to itself). That's the place you're gonna lose the most heat riding a MC.

Just use a normal fleece jacket that you can get alot cheaper or better yet, some heated gear.

I love my aerostitch gear but I have to laugh when I look at how expensive their non-heated liners are.
The Kinetsu liner is electric, and windstop, plus it has a flap over the zipper, so no air leak. It is heavy, comfortable, and the zip-in feature helps to make it very easy to put on, especially since the pads on the Darian are only velcro attached, and easly get dislodged.

I don't know about the non-electric liners, but I really like the Kinetsu. It works down to about 35 degrees without even plugging it in, and down below 15 plugged in, ala last night on the ride home. My Gerbings gloves on high, with hand grips on high barely kept up.

I thought about the Gerbings liner because it get's hotter than the Kinetsu, but it wont zip into the Darian, so having to put on two layers seperately, plus the pads issue, make it not worth the hassle and additional cost. IMHO.

Jim

PS Sorry about all the commas!
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:14 AM   #10
David Ullman
Tyeeman

Oddometer: 107
Darien Liner

Depends on where you live. I've used my Darien liner for years. Have the Gerbings, but unless I'm headed for the really high country I don't use it.
Layering is easy and key. In California, a long sleeved T-shirt, a medium weight sweatshirt and the liner keeps me comfortable until the temp gets below 35 and
I'm running at 70+. Then the wind-chill is about 14-17. A bit chilly, but not awful. Gloves are the issue with me.
du
Old 12-14-2005, 10:58 AM   #11
Bimble
In giro in moto

Oddometer: 8,350
I have the Darien liner and don't use it anymore. Not that it is bad, I just prefer their windblock fleece jacket (#1632 ). Its as warm and breathes much better. I always felt kind of clammy with the Darien liner, not so with the fleece jacket. It is also less expensive. Unless you buy both.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:16 PM   #12
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
The Kinetsu liner is electric, and windstop, plus it has a flap over the zipper, so no air leak. It is heavy, comfortable, and the zip-in feature helps to make it very easy to put on, especially since the pads on the Darian are only velcro attached, and easly get dislodged.

I don't know about the non-electric liners, but I really like the Kinetsu. It works down to about 35 degrees without even plugging it in, and down below 15 plugged in, ala last night on the ride home. My Gerbings gloves on high, with hand grips on high barely kept up.

I thought about the Gerbings liner because it get's hotter than the Kinetsu, but it wont zip into the Darian, so having to put on two layers seperately, plus the pads issue, make it not worth the hassle and additional cost. IMHO.

Jim

PS Sorry about all the commas!
all the above reasons are the exact reason if I was to do it again, that's what I'd do. that said, the darien liner is nice. Gerbings is nice, in a "I wrapped an extension cord around my (non-wind breaking) body kinda way."
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:17 PM   #13
RustySpokes OP
Two-bit throttle bum

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonass
just went through this process. went to search the thread but it didn't show up. finally found it here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106154
Thanks, how did I miss that?

Lots of good comments from everyone, thanks for the information. Looks like I have more options than I thought.