Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2006, 11:14 AM   #121
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,056
Dunlops are factory installed. They suck. My rear tire is shot, with less than 8000 km on it. It's at the wear bars already and will have to replace it before my next long trip. The front is still pretty good, maybe half way worn. I keep a close eye on tire pressure and I don't ride excessively fast nor do I ever carry a passenger, so the tire being shot at 8000 km is unaccpetable.

Tourances will go on the rear first, then the front. I had Anakee's before on my previous GS and at 12000 km they were still good for another 2 or 3000 km.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:47 AM   #122
CCRyder
Champ

Oddometer: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRYDER
Just got word that they are supposed to ship this week....
Cant wait to get them. Ill be sure to post pics of mounting them and the finished product.
Hey Ghost......got your cases on yet??? I'd love to see them up close and in the flesh...so to speak.. ...since you're local. I'm thinking about buying a set.

2002 KTM 520 E/XC
2011 BMW R1200 GSA
CCRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:46 AM   #123
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,412
Got them in the mail during the week, and I am looking to put them on tomorow. I have been taking pics to do a detailed instilation report on them. Let me check with the guy's garage Im hijacking for the day I'm sure he wont mind you swinging by if you want to get a closer look.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #124
CCRyder
Champ

Oddometer: 1,758
Might stop in....haven't seen Marty in a while, and also haven't been by to see Ron since I saw him in the hospital in NC......wanted to go for a day ride up to the twisties.....so let me see what I can put together.......thanks for the invite.

2002 KTM 520 E/XC
2011 BMW R1200 GSA
CCRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:31 AM   #125
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,412
This seems to be the thread for everything Micatech so I will put my experience/pics here as well. I have the system cases, and although there was nothing wrong with them, they were just a little too small when going away for a weekend and bringing company. So I started to look for alternatives. I looked a Jessie's and they seemed nice enough, however there were multiple complaints about them not fitting right, melting turn signals, melting interior bags etc. I was a little turned off by that. The mounting hardware didn't bother me because after all its a GS and its ugly already .
I looked at the Happy trails and I liked them a lot. No issues with heat, melting anything, and I have heard almost no complaints about water getting in them. I was not a big fan of the top loading bags though. Both seemed to have good customer service and seemed easy enough to install.
Then along came the Micatechs. I have heard about them and everyone raved about how big, and well built they were and I heard no complaints about water getting in them. The mounting hardware was a thing of beauty, and the way they mounted to the hardware was simple, and effective. The only problem was no one in the area had them. So I asked a million questions, and looked at the pics and finally decided to take the plunge. I called and ordered, I was asked few questions and was given a delivery date. When the date approached I was sent an e-mail stating that the bags were delayed due to a lot of orders or something, then a week later they were delayed again due to powder coating. No big deal, They kept me informed and I was not looking at any deadline. They did asked what shirt size I wore though . What that has to do with panniers I had no Idea.
I was finally sent a message that he boxes shipped and they were on the way....so I wait...and finally the little notice on the door telling me I have a package in the office. I go and retrieve the boxes These things are HUGE!!!!!!!

Packed to withstand anything that UPS can dish out to them. They are in there own boxes, with all the mounting hardware layed out on top, and a free t-shirt

That explains the shirt question. There is an envelope containing all the instruction's, and a few free stickers. There is also a hand written note saying thanks and telling me If I have any questions just to call and ask. I dig a little deeper into the boxes to get an Idea what I am in for and it seems like a huge undertaking at first, but reading the directions and looking at the pics it doesn't seem too bad.

The directions say that It should take about 1 1/2 hrs to assemble and install. Well I am no genius when It comes to mechanical procedures so I figured I was looking at about 6-7 hrs
I started by pre assembling all the pieces that attach to the bags themselves

Pretty straight forward there.....attach the mounting hardware through the predrilled holes using the bolts included in the bags. Then it was time to attach the supports to the from of the bag, again in there separate bags with the necessary hardware grouped together

More to come shorlty...off to work....
O-kay a little more ....
Looking through the box I saw the screws that attach through the fasteners, and attach the bags to the mounting brackets

Pretty self explanatory and not too difficult. Then it was time to move onto the mounting hardware. the doohickey's that actually attach to the bike.Once again packed solid and didn't have a chance of shifting in the box. Looking at the mounting hardware I was impressed at how well built these things were. We are talking SOLID here.

Looking through the instructions, and playing jigsaw puzzle It was quite easy to figure out what went where

Sorry that they are a little blurry, but you still get the general idea

No comments about the nail chewing......Ever since I stopped smoking I had to get another bad habit, and drinking doesn't count

Then I attached the brackets to bottom, that hold the lower part of the mounts to the frame.

Looking through the packing there were several screws and a washer or two that I couldn't find a place for....more on those later, but for now a look at the mounting hardware assembled off the bike

Notice the black washer...that will come into play later. Although the directions are pretty clear I am Polish and goofed once or twice before figuring the whole thing out.
The only pieces left were the "W" bracket and the rear brace that goes between the two bags

Easy one there....Just attach the "bullets" on the ends.
I looked at the last pack and it contained the brackets that support the bags. They came with the parts together and the exhaust side was marked.

Soon it was time to get to work. I have a top box that I use so I had to remove that and the plate to remove the shelf that sits behind the passenger seat.Not too much to show there. I just had to remove the 4 bolts on top of the shelf.There were two bolts above the rear light that had to be removed as well (they support the top box). While removing the shelf there were bolts on both sides. There were silver "washers between the silver plastic, and the bike frame. Just a heads up, they both fell out. You will want to keep these just in case, but you will not need them anymore with the Micatechs.

You will also need to remove the stock bag mounts. I was able to get in there without removing the mushroom bolts.
Next it was time to remove the six bolts from the tray. This is were things started to get a little strange. I have never taken this part off before, and I never needed to.

After the bolt were removed it was time to take off the cover. Just a little pressure, there are tabs at the front that secure it. Just a little pressure and they pop right out.

Here is the fun/scary part. The plate below needs to be removed. There are 5 bolts that hold that in place 2 in the rear and two in front. The ones in from are on either side the bar that holds the rear seat in place. Don't let the tray fool you, It actually comes out as one piece. I didn't seem like it but it does.

You cant see the front bolts because I dint get a wide enough shot, but once you remove the top cover you will be able to see them clearly.
Now the 5th bolt. It actually secures the seat lock mechanism to the frame/bike. Again it does not appear as if it will come out as one piece but it does. Just be careful to hold onto that small bolt

After you remove all the bolts the tray just comes off. No pulling or prying...well not on mine anyway. The directions say to look up under the rear wheel and remove the two bolts that you see behind the license plate bracket. You cant miss them. Then go back up to the top under the tray you just removed. You will then see the 2 clips that the directions describe. It says take a screwdriver to pry them off but mine just slid off.

All of that just to remove two clips. Anyway.....You need to take the "W" bracket and place it over the wheel and line up the holes on the bracket with the empty holes you now have. The directions state that you may have to drill the plastic out a bit, but the bolts that they supplied fit in without drilling. Line up the bolts and use the supports on top. (sorry no pics here I forgot) The directions have a good pic of this. Make sure that the "bullets" on the "W" bracket face toward the rear. You will also need to install the small washers/spacers on the "W" bracket that are supplied.

Next the directions state to put the tray back on, but DONT DO IT!!!Well you might want to but I suggest not to. You see this is where things started to get a little dicey. Well for me anyway. It is time to attach the side hardware. Really quite simple (now anyway) You need to take the R and L side and place the back so it rests on the "W" bracket. line up the front, or the lower part of the bracket with the frame. Use the "U" clamps to attach to the frame. YOU ONLY NEED TO USE THE BLACK WASHER PROVIDED. Remember that silver washer that fell on your floor....well place it in a bag wit the rest of your old mounting hardware. No need for it now.

You can see in the Pic above how the "W" brace and the side mount line up and fit snuggly together.

You will have to attach a bolt through the "W" bracket up into the side braces to secure it all together.

This is why I suggest not putting the top tray back on. At first I could not figure out why things didn't match up, and why it seemed like I had to nudge the pieces together. You DO NOT need to use the silver spacers that you removed with the black ones provided. Is this obvious.....well now it is.At first things did not line up, and it seemed as if I had to force some of the pieces together.I knew that this was not right. A little time a patience and I was able to see the error in my ways. Here is a pic of everything placed together without the top tray placed back on

You can see the black washers used on the sides. You can also see the new support brackets that are used to support the new cases. You can see where the new braces replace the old clips. I think this pic best shows how things are supposed to go together. Its now time to place all the plastic back on and button it all up. After you hang the bags you can attach the side/footpeg supports and line them up. No need for directions there....you made it this far. Go back and tighten everything up, and use the BLUE locktite.

I did a run or two around town to make sure everything was secure and I didnt screw anything up. Everything seems to be holding well and staying put. Like I said before these bags are big, and well made indeed. Everything went together great and there was no need to force/pry anything at all. I hope this helps...

ghostryder screwed with this post 07-06-2006 at 10:50 PM
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:56 PM   #126
GB
Mod Squad

Looks good!

Keep it coming!
Old 07-05-2006, 01:39 PM   #127
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,672
babysteps to the 17th...

(BTW, Rick, I really struggled with the color choice thanks to yours)
Old 07-05-2006, 02:07 PM   #128
GB
Mod Squad

So, Erik, you've taken the Micatech leap?! Be sure to give us your appraisal.

I hope to see you at the MOA rally in VT later this month!
Old 07-05-2006, 02:12 PM   #129
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
So, Erik, you've taken the Micatech leap?! Be sure to give us your appraisal.

I hope to see you at the MOA rally in VT later this month!
1. Yes.

2. Come now, you yourself dubbed me "bag guru"! Expect nothing less than a full writeup and dedicated smugmug gallery.

3. Look for the guy with his finger in his nose
(OK, not really, but Rabia bought me a pretty sweet name badge that says Doctorit on it at last years rally, so it'd be hard to miss me should our paths cross)
Old 07-05-2006, 02:18 PM   #130
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
3. Look for the guy with his finger in his nose
(OK, not really, but Rabia bought me a pretty sweet name badge that says Doctorit on it at last years rally, so it'd be hard to miss me should our paths cross)

Ok Bag Guru! See you in VT. When I'm not riding, or attending seminars, or shopping , I'll be hanging out at the Micatech booth and the ADVworkshop trailer!

Will be looking forward to your show and tell on the cases. I'm surprised you're getting your cases on the 17th, as Bob and Sue at Micatech are doing the Peaks of America rallies; The RA in Boise, the Top of the Rockies in CO, and then off to the MOA in VT. Can't wait for that one
Old 07-05-2006, 04:02 PM   #131
ndmiller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Question

Ghost,

You have to finish your writeup and story instructions before I get my bags on Friday!

:e ar

Questions ready to pose:
1) Are you really using a torque wrench? Question really is do I need to go out and buy one?
2) I still don't get the back out the locking tabs on the thumbscrews portion of the instructions can you show some pics. My hope is seeing will lead to understanding....
3) Are you lock-tighting all the screws?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Noah
ndmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:08 PM   #132
GB
Mod Squad

I never used a torque wrench. But I think someone who's not very handy might over tighten some fasteners and break off some of them and then freak out, hence the recommendation to use a torque wrench. If you're careful not to overtighten the mounting brackets, you could do it without a torque wrench.

The thumb screws are very simple to use. Once the case is mounted, you turn the black handled thumbsrew clockwise all the way till it's tight, then you turn the locking tab that's around the thumbscrew clockwise until it locks in place. What this tab does is it prevents the thumbscrew from loosening as you ride.

As for loctite, I put loctite blue on all fasteners that are "permanently" fastened to the bike, i.e. not part of the removal process for removing the cases. So, loctite all the screws for the mounting brackets, but don't loctite the thumbscrews!
Old 07-05-2006, 06:14 PM   #133
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Will be looking forward to your show and tell on the cases. I'm surprised you're getting your cases on the 17th, as Bob and Sue at Micatech are doing the Peaks of America rallies; The RA in Boise, the Top of the Rockies in CO, and then off to the MOA in VT. Can't wait for that one
Bob is going straight through. Sue will be back for a few days before VT. If we happen to miss each other, I'll be wearing a big back pack up to the rally and getting the cases there.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:39 AM   #134
GB
Mod Squad

Ghostryder,

Are you taking a break?

Break time's over... now get on with it!
Old 07-06-2006, 07:05 AM   #135
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,049
He will be awake in about 2 hours/works kinda late + he is a lazy...
Cagiva Gran Canyon Italiano/rosso...for sale
Honda CL 360/orange...for sale
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote