Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2005, 07:34 AM   #1
4SEVEN3 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 996
Scooter Rebuild! *WARNING* Graphic pictures of scooter internals!

Edit: I worte this for another board where a good portion of people have limited mechanical abilities.

Here are a few pics of my scoot. We talk about all this mods and stuff, but while I had the opportunity I figure Id show yall what makes this thing go and tell why I have it in this condition

Here it is with the engine out. The entire rear half of the bike is suspended by the shock and pivots on the engine mount. Really you only have 2 bolts holding the entire unit to the bike. Hanging on the floor is the centerstand that bolts to the bottom of the engine case, and the part on the floorboard of the carbuerator

Here is the bottom of the top half of the engine case. The hole in the center is the cylnder (this is what you would bore out for a over sized piston). The round sections on either side is where the crankshaft bearings reside. The slot on the right is where the cam chain lives, the plastic part under the chain is the chain guide. The round rubber "tube" is where the carb mounts. The gold tube just in front of that is where the main bolt goes through to hold the entire assy in the frame.

Here is most of the cooling system. On the right is the radiator, just below it is part of the stator (under the plate) the gear is for the oil pump and meshes with a gear on the crankshaft. On the far left is the waterpump. The black section mounts close to the camshaft, the end of the cam is magnetic, when it spins the magnet section turns the waterpump, no drag on the engine, no power loss!

Heres the crankshaft and piston. On the right, the threaded section is where the stator is mounted, then the outboard gear is for the oil pump (meshes with the plastic gear in above picture), the next smaller gear is for the camshaft chain. The next part with the groove in it is one of the crank bearings (part of my problem). Next you ahve the counterweight, piston/piston rod assy, counterweight, then another crank bearing. The threaded section on the left is where your variator threads. My problem is the bearing on the left is bad and causing the crank to move excessively and not sealing with the crank seal making oil leak all over the variator and drivebelt! Main parts Im replacing are the cranshaft (with right side bearing) and the left side bearing.

To give you a idea how small the piston is, I set a 6oz Texas Pete bottle next to it. Teeny Tiney!!!

Here is the top of the cylnder head. This is where the camshaft lives, in the center under the rocker arms. The space on the bottom of the picture is where the cam chain comes up to the cam sprocket. The plastic section on the right side of the hole is the chain guide. At the bottom of the picture you can see a large hole...this is where the black section of the water pump mounts to and the cam gear turns the waterpump.

Heres the large hole left when the engine is removed.........Somebody got a manual I can use! :p

Here she is all ready to have the engine ready to install!!!

John................
Old 12-19-2005, 07:37 AM   #2
VespaFitz
No-good-son-of-a-bitch

Oddometer: 41,051
Jeezly crow, there's a lot of parts in there for a 50cc scooter.

AKA "Ham Steak" - Bumfucked Hillbillies MC
VespaFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:36 AM   #3
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
Way cool! Thanks for posting the pics! I didn't know about the magnetic camshaft water pump thingey. Trick.

Never ceases to amaze me that a 50cc bike can work so well. Tiny little pistons in those things, buzzing along happily at insane rpms. I love 50's. They work their hearts out every day.

Is the Metro II motor the same as the Ruckus motor?

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:55 PM   #4
4SEVEN3 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
Way cool! Thanks for posting the pics! I didn't know about the magnetic camshaft water pump thingey. Trick.

Never ceases to amaze me that a 50cc bike can work so well. Tiny little pistons in those things, buzzing along happily at insane rpms. I love 50's. They work their hearts out every day.

Is the Metro II motor the same as the Ruckus motor?
I tell ya.........it really suprised me at first when I found out it was water cooled (when I first laid eyes on the bike). I figured it would be air cooled, similar to a lawnmower type system. Working on Honda cars it really shouldnt have, they usally install some neat ideas in there products.

Its the same engine, some internal things may be slightly different, but same basic thing.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:02 PM   #5
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,254
Nice tool storage unit
Old 12-20-2005, 04:01 AM   #6
kdude
orgasmatron engineer

Oddometer: 2,020
Eek Another Scooter Labotomy

You guys who can do this stuff really impress me. I"m sure you saw the Ruckus labotomy Good pictures and very well documented make for a very good read.

Even I think I can do some of the stuff you have done but I'm a big chicken to take a newish bike apart. One day, one day..... hp
Old 12-20-2005, 04:02 AM   #7
kdude
orgasmatron engineer

Oddometer: 2,020
[quote=RoundelRider]Edit: I worte this for another board where a good portion of people have limited mechanical abilities.

Thats me , limited mechanical abilities... which board was that ??? I'm looking for another scoot board.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:40 AM   #8
4SEVEN3 OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the box complement ilmostro! Ive still got a little ways to make it nice and full!

www.urbanscootin.com is another scoot board. They have a lot of Metro stuff, but allllll kinds are mor than welcome! The more diverse the better!
www.totalruckus.com is ruckus oriented. I like going there beacuse they LOVE to modify their scoots and there are some good ideas floating around.

kdude, this stiff is no biggie. Dive into it, take digi pics of things as you go along, buy the factory manual itll help a lot. Start with simple stuff and go from there, like a oil change, for instance on the Metro its a simple drain and refill no filter to mess with. The more ya tinker the more ya learn and build confidence!
Old 12-20-2005, 07:54 AM   #9
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmostro
Nice tool storage unit

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:53 AM   #10
Harry'O
Vespa 50

Oddometer: 42
You are awesome. Now come over here and help me with this 50cc Yamaha Neos that I'm going to attempt to bring back from the dead.
Harry'O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
BurgerFriesDrink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry'O
...Yamaha Neos that I'm going to attempt to bring back from the dead.
If this thread is any indication, you shouldn't have a problem.
BurgerFriesDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:12 AM   #12
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,173
John - Just saw this and really need time to study the images.
I know some of this but nowhere near as much as you posted.

Thanks for taking the time to do this, write it up and post it.

Guys like you are what make this board what it is!
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #13
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
There's a Met for sale locally that "burns a quart of oil a week" (!!!) and has cracked bodywork for $350 OBO, if anyone wants a project. Unless I miss my guess you'll end up with more in it than a good used one would cost.

For someone who wants to know what the inside of their Met looks like, needs a project and wants to build a bodywork-less scooter this might be your baby. Go to Indianapolis Craigslist and search "Honda Metropolitan." It's in Nashville, IN about 45 min. south of Indy.

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #14
approachbears
250cc is 50cc too many

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat
There's a Met for sale locally that "burns a quart of oil a week" (!!!) and has cracked bodywork for $350 OBO, if anyone wants a project. Unless I miss my guess you'll end up with more in it than a good used one would cost.

For someone who wants to know what the inside of their Met looks like, needs a project and wants to build a bodywork-less scooter this might be your baby. Go to Indianapolis Craigslist and search "Honda Metropolitan." It's in Nashville, IN about 45 min. south of Indy.
Head over to totalruckus.com and peruse the classifieds. Entire stock engines (the Ruckus and Metro share the same GET engine) can be had for $100 to $400 because people are doing swaps for bigger engines. It might not be as pricey to get one running as you expect.
approachbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:30 PM   #15
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
Helluva idea. I forgot about the 150cc GY-6 swaps. Of course, a local dealer is selling complete Roketa 150's for $695 and I could swap that in and have the Met from Hell, selling off the leftovers on eBay. Hmmm...

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote