ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2006, 11:43 AM   #61
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro
This show has really slipped since it moved downtown. There were fewer vendors than last year, and neither Triumph or KTM were there. This show used to be really good when it was at the Dulles Expo Center. It was later in the year so the BMW and Harley demo fleets were present. There were also at least twice as many vendors present, if not more. The fees and nonsense you've got to go through down at that Convention Center coupled with the expense of downtown hotels, trailer parking, and inconveience must have driven many of them out.

I understand there is a show at the MD Fair Grounds in Timonium next month that is a good one. Maybe I'll check that one out.

This might be my last year for the DC show, though I still had a good time.

Hard to believe, but Timonium is WORSE. No question about it. It's a croozer/leather fest- and a few local dealers throw out their leftovers. Don't waste your time...trust me.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:59 PM   #62
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,036
Yeah, the show sucked. I diden't expect much. At least I helped save people some mony and handed out about 100 $2 off coupons I had left over. And I diden't have to pay to get in.

Anybody see this happen?

http://www.bmwbmw.org/forum/viewtopi...er=asc&start=0

Omi screwed with this post 01-16-2006 at 02:45 PM
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:23 PM   #63
snub13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Ya know, every time my wife and I got on a bike at the show I could see that happening! Thank God it didn't , but I could see it clear as day.

Nice that all of those people standing around rushed to the poor guys assistance!

Oh, by the way, I agree that the show er, was not very good. I feel it was worse than last years show, which wasn't that great. No KTM and four count them four Triumphs' on the back side of the show by the food.

We did have a great time at the RFD and sight seeing and a weekend away. Good to meet you guys and the BMW group.
snub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:52 AM   #64
Uncle Remus
zippety do dah

Oddometer: 967
Nice meeting some of yffs at RFD. Beer there was highlight of the day.

First bike show I've ever been to. Not too impressed overall, but it was cool getting to sit on all the bikes, including the Ducatis...

Uncle Remus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:16 AM   #65
mtrrnn
Paladin

Oddometer: 104
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by snub13
Oh, by the way, I agree that the show er, was not very good. I feel it was worse than last years show, which wasn't that great. No KTM and four count them four Triumphs' on the back side of the show by the food.
Yup - I talked to that Triumph dealer asking where did the main display go? He said something about Triumph not getting enough 2006's into the country soon enough for the show - he also said they will not be at the NY show this coming weekend.

Makes me worry about the company... maybe they want to compete with Indian for the going out of business title

I really wanted to compare the Tiger, V-Strom and Caponord back to back, but there wasn't a Tiger to be seen.

I doubt I'll go back to DC for next years show - as was posted, it was much better when they had in NoVa.

L8r,
Bob S.
mtrrnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:33 AM   #66
MrE OP
computer driver

Oddometer: 1,083
Good to meet you guys at RFD. The show was ok. I like seeing all the different bikes that I don't typically look at. In and out of the local BMW dealers pretty regular, but when was the last time I was somewhere that had a Husky? Since I wasn't looking for any accessories/gear, I didn't really pay much attention to the vendors that were there. For me it was about sitting on bikes and wishing.

The beers beforehand were definitely good.

Timonium is a completely different show. IMS is about the factories. Timonium is about local dealers.
The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
- Thomas Jefferson
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:41 PM   #67
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 14,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMI1150GS
Yeah, the show sucked. I diden't expect much. At least I helped save people some mony and handed out about 100 $2 off coupons I had left over. And I diden't have to pay to get in.

Anybody see this happen?

http://www.bmwbmw.org/forum/viewtopi...er=asc&start=0

"Only one in the States" ... that's funny, there's one at the Cobo Center in Detroit for the auto show.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:46 AM   #68
lorazepam
Two fisted burger

Oddometer: 8,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrrnn
Yup - I talked to that Triumph dealer asking where did the main display go? He said something about Triumph not getting enough 2006's into the country soon enough for the show - he also said they will not be at the NY show this coming weekend.

Makes me worry about the company... maybe they want to compete with Indian for the going out of business title

I really wanted to compare the Tiger, V-Strom and Caponord back to back, but there wasn't a Tiger to be seen.

I doubt I'll go back to DC for next years show - as was posted, it was much better when they had in NoVa.

L8r,
Bob S.
The story I got was that they took the money they would have used for the show to market the Brand more aggressively during the whole year.
But then again they dont have dealers closing down as fast as BMW does, so that may actually be the truth.
lorazepam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:16 PM   #69
mtrrnn
Paladin

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorazepam
The story I got was that they took the money they would have used for the show to market the Brand more aggressively during the whole year.
But then again they dont have dealers closing down as fast as BMW does, so that may actually be the truth.
Sounds like the story changed as the hours did

The dealer that was at the show is about 1.5 hours from me - I'm going to take a ride up there and look at the Tiger - I'm leaning towards the Strom, but I want to give the Tiger a chance. I just worry about dealer coverage if Triumph really is in trouble.

Take care,
Bob S.
mtrrnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:24 AM   #70
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer: 33,051
Pittsburgh always had a decent show at the Monroeville Expo Center called Rev, Rock, and Roll. There was always a big custom/cruiser presence, but they also had a really good selection of vendors as well as several informational programs like accident scene procedures and first aid.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:29 AM   #71
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,836
IMO, this motorcycle show thing is sort of a "chicken and egg, which come first?" situation.

The smaller motorcycle manufacturers like Triumph, KTM, Husky, etc. don't sell many bikes in the U.S. So they don't put a lot of effort into marketing them. Or is it the other way around?

The larger motorcycle manufacturers don't import many of the bikes into the U.S. that sell well in other parts of the world. Is that because they THINK they won't sell here?

One of the reasons the bike shops don't keep some of the bikes (and parts for those bikes) we want is that they lack the capital to keep the inventory on hand. So therefore we don't buy them. Or is it the other way around?

I also wonder if there really is a truly sustainable market in the U.S. for bikes that aren't cruisers.

What do you think about that???

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:26 AM   #72
Caffeind
Team Piggly Wiggly

Oddometer: 11,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kleponis
IMO, this motorcycle show thing is sort of a "chicken and egg, which come first?" situation.

The smaller motorcycle manufacturers like Triumph, KTM, Husky, etc. don't sell many bikes in the U.S. So they don't put a lot of effort into marketing them. Or is it the other way around?

The larger motorcycle manufacturers don't import many of the bikes into the U.S. that sell well in other parts of the world. Is that because they THINK they won't sell here?

One of the reasons the bike shops don't keep some of the bikes (and parts for those bikes) we want is that they lack the capital to keep the inventory on hand. So therefore we don't buy them. Or is it the other way around?

I also wonder if there really is a truly sustainable market in the U.S. for bikes that aren't cruisers.

What do you think about that???
I think I'll never own another cruiser.

The reality of these shows (Cycle World IMS) is that they are simply displays of what the manufacturer is currently (or has announced) selling in the US. Don't expect to see any concept bikes or new model announcements at these shows. You won't see much here that you can't see at a dealer. The advantage is that it's (almost) all in one place and you can browse without sales pressure and you occasionally see cool stuff like the cutaway 999R and 999R engine Ducati had on display last year. It's also a good place to pick up some Joe Rocket or Fieldsheer leftovers or some cheap leather, if you need some new gear.

I think Husky and KTM are staying alive largely due to their racing efforts and enthusiast following. Customer loyalty and enthusiasm is the only thing keeping Triumph alive, as far as I can tell. BMW could probably stop advertising in the U.S. right now and coast on their brand recognition and customer loyalty for the next 20 years or so.

Sadly, I think Aprilia will go away before any of the other brands I've mentioned so far.

The biggest reason KTM, Triumph, and BMW are unlikely to get my business is that the dealers closest to my home in Woodbridge are either in Fredericksburg (KTM, BMW) or Winchester (Triumph). That's just too damn far to have to go if something goes wrong. Not that KTM and Triumph don't have models that I over. The Scrambler gives me serious wood.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:42 AM   #73
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,839
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind
I think Husky and KTM are staying alive largely due to their racing efforts and enthusiast following.
I guess that KTM's "staying alive" as you put it, could'nt have anything to do with the fact that when you go to ANY sort of a dirt event it looks like KTM is giving their bike's away for free . The woods always seem to have a strange orange glow. The fact that HUSKY has pulled off a major 'coup with making their stuff 100% legal is going to add a bit of blue & yellow in the flora & fauna!
SEE YA
CHRIS
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 07:55 AM   #74
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,270
Went to the show yesterday in NYC with a buddy. Had a good time, saw some awesome bikes. Cromosexuality was in full effect but didn't diminish my fun.

Got to sit on the MV Agusta F4 Tamburini (the guy told me not to jizz on the suede seat...) and the F4 Fast by Ferracci 750 with the 800 kit on it. OMFG!! I sttod next to a guy who pulled out $30,000 CASH and bought one of 300 F4 Sennas. He was pretty pumped and they gave him a MV lanyard until his bike came.

Also got to see the 12 GS Adventure (april-may delivery I was told), ABS is now an option on both 12 GS, apologizes if everyone already knew that.

The new Huskys are awesome, Aprilias 450 Enduro looks fun but uncomfortable.

I thought the show was great, as it was my first one.

One thing, I'm not sure if there were snipers in the Javits center but all the gangs were wearing bulletproof vest??!! WTF?

I guess its the new thing, 50 Cent must ride a bike.

Hard to weave through the crowd and sit on a few of the popular bikes from the Japanese, mostly because every 16 yo wanted to pose for shots, but it was Saturday so I expected crowds.

Too bad no Triumph or KTM...
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:46 AM   #75
Caffeind
Team Piggly Wiggly

Oddometer: 11,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER
I guess that KTM's "staying alive" as you put it, could'nt have anything to do with the fact that when you go to ANY sort of a dirt event it looks like KTM is giving their bike's away for free . The woods always seem to have a strange orange glow. The fact that HUSKY has pulled off a major 'coup with making their stuff 100% legal is going to add a bit of blue & yellow in the flora & fauna!
SEE YA
CHRIS
That would be their enthusiast following. What I meant, but didn't communicate well, is that Husky and KTM do very little advertising (at least in the rags I read) and their show support is almost nil. KTM has at least 3 bikes that I would seriously consider buying if I needed a third or fourth street bike. I love their dirt bikes, too, but if I can get a WR for $1500 less before any negotiating begins, I'm not sure that the KTM is worth that extra $1500. At least to me. Especially if I've got to haul it an hour for the dealer to do any service I might not be able to (and then drive another two hours round trip to pick it up). I'm 10 minutes away from the local Suzuki-Yamaha dealer and 15 minutes away from the Kawasaki-Honda guys.