ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2005, 04:37 PM   #1
dirtyboy OP
Adrenaline junkie

Oddometer: 525
950 stator rewind?

Anybody tried rewinding the stator to increase wattage output?

How much additional capacity can be achieved?
dirtyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 05:46 PM   #2
LKN4DRT
Mended

Oddometer: 714
www.customrewind.com
Four five O
Five O O
LKN4DRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:25 AM   #3
autorotate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Customrewind has yet to do a 950 stator....anyone get this done with anyone else yet?
autorotate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:57 AM   #4
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
The LC8 uses an oil cooled stator. That seems to be the problem for rewinders for some reason. I tried several places with my old 28 amp oil cooled ST1100 without luck. Also rewinds generally boost total wattage at the sacrafice of low end output. Why do you need more juice? 39 amps ain't bad for a bike without much draw (no F.I. or ABS). I notice that they use the same 450 watt gen in the 990.

My ST1100 ABS has a 40 amp alternator and it powers all kinds of accessories (PIAA 910 driving lights, AutoComm, GPS, Sat Radio, Gerbing heated gear, Hot Grips, etc., etc.) without overloading.
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:10 AM   #5
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754

My first ST had the 28A alternator, and I used to run a radio and electric vests all the time. The current ST has a 40A alternator and has never had a problem with a radio and a pair of electric vests. Many ST owners run PIAAs as well without issue.

When I found my 950 had a 450W alternator I was actually surprised it put out so much, with no ABS, FI, or dual headlamps used. ymmv.

How many extra lights are you gonna run? Are you seeing a substantial voltage drop under load?
Old 11-10-2006, 11:13 AM   #6
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,504
I've got an AutoComm, GPS, heated grips, and 210 W of aux lighting. No problems *so far*
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:48 PM   #7
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Just install a voltmeter and you can monitor the effects of your loads while riding. Then you'll be able to "husband" the draws and cut back some if the voltage drops to low. I like to keep mine above 13.5 volts, which it does with all of the loads I can put on it (110w PIAA's, GPS, Hot Grips, Gerbing jacket and gloves with socks if needed
The reading shown is with the engine off:
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

Old 11-10-2006, 04:10 PM   #8
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
Just install a voltmeter and you can monitor the effects of your loads while riding. Then you'll be able to "husband" the draws and cut back some if the voltage drops to low. I like to keep mine above 13.5 volts, which it does with all of the loads I can put on it (110w PIAA's, GPS, Hot Grips, Gerbing jacket and gloves with socks if needed
The reading shown is with the engine off:
-cp
your setup looks nice n stealth. Isn't it a bitch to unplug that stuff when removing the covers? or is your bike the one that never breaks down??

Oh, and most Garmin GPS have a voltage readout. 2fer
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:25 PM   #9
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah
your setup looks nice n stealth. Isn't it a bitch to unplug that stuff when removing the covers? or is your bike the one that never breaks down??

Oh, and most Garmin GPS have a voltage readout. 2fer
All of my switches and other electrical goodies are in the left plastic piece. Just 2 plugs to pull. One for accessories, one for the turn indicator. Mine hasn't broken down yet in 29k miles, but I pull the panels routinely to add farkels or do maintanence. Takes 2 extra seconds to unplug the extra connector. My Garmins have voltage read outs, but it is usually not on the page I am currently looking at. Plus, I want my voltmeter to read directly from the battery, not through the ignition switch. And lastly, I don't always have my Garmin mounted on the bike.
-cp

-cp

Old 11-10-2006, 05:44 PM   #10
Gert
Made in Denmark

Oddometer: 383
-cp,
where did you get the voltmeter?

I know that you believe that you understand what you think I said but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Gert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:44 PM   #11
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert
-cp,
where did you get the voltmeter?
http://www.digitalmeter.com/cgi-bin/...=configspc.txt
-cp

-cp

Old 11-11-2006, 11:55 AM   #12
autorotate
Adventurer

Low voltage

I've got the bike torn apart trying to fix my nagging fault.

Ever since I've owned the bike, I've always ran into a dead battery after a week or so of daily riding.

This was before heated grips, KTM Aux lights, and a GPS install,....a bone stock machine.

I thought maybe the battery had croaked, so I soaked it on a trickle charger for a few days.....no cranky cranky in about another week.

So I bought a brand spanking new battery....soaked it on a trickle charger for a few days to be sure....no cranky cranky in about another week.

Started using a battery tender because I'm lazy/busy and didn't want to tear the thing down to find my fault.

But now I can't make it more than 4 x 25 mile commuting legs without the ole no cranky cranky.

I just got back in from the garage....measured off the tenders SAE harness from the batter.....12.7 volts at 5K rpm....does that sound like regulator to you guys?

I'll check the current draw accross each individual fuse block next and check back in to see what the crowd has to say.

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:58 AM   #13
autorotate
Adventurer

Quote:
The LC8 uses an oil cooled stator. That seems to be the problem for rewinders for some reason.
-cp
It didn't occur to me the stator would get this hot....but now that I think of aviation applications, this makes sense. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:08 PM   #14
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorotate
I've got the bike torn apart trying to fix my nagging fault.

Ever since I've owned the bike, I've always ran into a dead battery after a week or so of daily riding.

This was before heated grips, KTM Aux lights, and a GPS install,....a bone stock machine.

I thought maybe the battery had croaked, so I soaked it on a trickle charger for a few days.....no cranky cranky in about another week.

So I bought a brand spanking new battery....soaked it on a trickle charger for a few days to be sure....no cranky cranky in about another week.

Started using a battery tender because I'm lazy/busy and didn't want to tear the thing down to find my fault.

But now I can't make it more than 4 x 25 mile commuting legs without the ole no cranky cranky.

I just got back in from the garage....measured off the tenders SAE harness from the batter.....12.7 volts at 5K rpm....does that sound like regulator to you guys?

I'll check the current draw accross each individual fuse block next and check back in to see what the crowd has to say.

Thanks.
Could be reg or stator. Check all connections, especially the battery + and - cables. Both ends. If everything is copacetic, unplug the reg and start the engine. Measure AC voltage between each of the 3 wires. S/B ~ 50 vac. If not the stator is B/O. If OK, the reg is B/O. Simple huh
-cp

-cp

Old 11-11-2006, 12:10 PM   #15
Gert
Made in Denmark

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Thanks. I see it is a sealed unit. Cool!
Is the button above it for the meter - or how do you avoid battery drain since it is powered directly off the battery?

I know that you believe that you understand what you think I said but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Gert is offline   Reply With Quote