ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2006, 04:39 PM   #16
RRob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Wanna be West Virginian

onaXR, you've got it good being so close to the Hatfield-McCoy trail system. I've been wanting to do Hatfield-McCoy for a few years now but haven't had the oppurtunity.

CliffHanger, I ride the roads and trails around Davis frequently during the summer. West of Rt.93 are some decent trails I like to ride. Www.Koontzadventures.com puts on two atv/bike races at Timberline each summer that anyone can sign up for. I've done all four so far and had a blast.
2004 XR650L
www.damnriders.org
RRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #17
onaXR OP
Druid

Oddometer: 2,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRob
onaXR, you've got it good being so close to the Hatfield-McCoy trail system. I've been wanting to do Hatfield-McCoy for a few years now but haven't had the oppurtunity.

CliffHanger, I ride the roads and trails around Davis frequently during the summer. West of Rt.93 are some decent trails I like to ride. Www.Koontzadventures.com puts on two atv/bike races at Timberline each summer that anyone can sign up for. I've done all four so far and had a blast.
Funny thing is I have never rode on the H/M trails it doesnt appeal to me for some reason, I am sure they are great but just knowing the trail is layed out for me spoiled it.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:44 PM   #18
onaXR OP
Druid

Oddometer: 2,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB
hey OnaXR, got a 640Adv and always looking for a riding buddy to do sum backroad/dirt/and wherever the trail may go....PM me and lets ride....AndyB
Will do man, I been looking at the 640s hard and would like to see one in action.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:03 AM   #19
toyotechwv
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
You don't ride through Bland on occasion do you? I kept seeing a guy on a red KLR650 once in a while back in the summer on my way to work.

Nope, I've only been that way on the bike once. I have a friend that lives in Dublin so if I'm coming in that direction it's on Rt. 100.
toyotechwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:14 AM   #20
Nocturnal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotechwv
Nope, I've only been that way on the bike once. I have a friend that lives in Dublin so if I'm coming in that direction it's on Rt. 100.
Well shoot me a message next time you head out to do some exploring and I'll tag along. I would like to go check out that section of New River in behind Little Macs on weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas.K.Findlay through crooked roads
well old motor we are leaving here on a long jump again
Nocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:29 AM   #21
toyotechwv
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Well shoot me a message next time you head out to do some exploring and I'll tag along. I would like to go check out that section of New River in behind Little Macs on weekend.

Will do. What kind of bike do you ride?
toyotechwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:44 PM   #22
Nocturnal
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotechwv
Will do. What kind of bike do you ride?
XR650L, one of the big, mean, ugly, slow ones.
Just the way I like'em.

Quote:
Old 01-21-2006, 09:21 AM   #23
cdhall
Krishl

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
You don't ride through Bland on occasion do you? I kept seeing a guy on a red KLR650 once in a while back in the summer on my way to work.
I'll guess that was Paul K from Blacksburg. He rides a red KLR, works in Pulaski, and usually turns his commute into a mini-adventure.

Chrish
Old 01-21-2006, 09:26 AM   #24
cdhall
Krishl

Quote:
...check out that section of New River in behind Little Macs on weekend.
Where are you talking about? There are some really interesting dirt and broken pavement roads near the New River in the Glen Lyn area.

From Bland, some of my favorite bad-road riding are Round Mt, Razorback Ridge, and Sugar Run. I've been wanting to do the dirt road that goes from the Big Walker Mt lookout over the I-77 tunnels, but just haven't gotten round to it. Also like to explore the dirt roads on BWM between US 52 and VA 16.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:23 PM   #25
Nocturnal
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhall
Where are you talking about? There are some really interesting dirt and broken pavement roads near the New River in the Glen Lyn area.

From Bland, some of my favorite bad-road riding are Round Mt, Razorback Ridge, and Sugar Run. I've been wanting to do the dirt road that goes from the Big Walker Mt lookout over the I-77 tunnels, but just haven't gotten round to it. Also like to explore the dirt roads on BWM between US 52 and VA 16.
There is a small convenience store that is called Little Macs (maybe Lil' Macs can't remember) if you turn off of 460 right before you get to the store there is a road that takes you down along New River. Mud, rock, dirt and creek crossings galore. Also there used to be tons of side roads but it's a crap shoot where the go if any where. My map shows it as SR 648 but I'm not sure thats right.

Did you hit Dismal Falls when you rode Sugar Run?
That dirt road on top of BW has 3 ways to get on it. The main way is from the lookout but there is also a road(kind of) on the Bland and Wytheville side. Let me know when you want to check it out and I'll give you the guided tour.

Quote:
Old 01-22-2006, 12:26 PM   #26
cdhall
Krishl

Quote:
There is a small convenience store that is called Little Macs (maybe Lil' Macs can't remember) if you turn off of 460 right before you get to the store there is a road that takes you down along New River. Mud, rock, dirt and creek crossings galore. Also there used to be tons of side roads but it's a crap shoot where the go if any where. My map shows it as SR 648 but I'm not sure thats right.
That's the Glen Lyn set of busted up roads I was mentioning. Great fun. We explored there back in November.

And here's a great switchback photo from a previous ride there:

Quote:
Did you hit Dismal Falls when you rode Sugar Run?
Yes. We rode all the way through, then went looking for Razorback Ridge. That's a great road too, connecting from near Pumpkin Center to near Bastian.
Quote:
That dirt road on top of BW has 3 ways to get on it. The main way is from the lookout but there is also a road(kind of) on the Bland and Wytheville side. Let me know when you want to check it out and I'll give you the guided tour.
I'll do that. There's a small group of us here in B'burg that like that kind of riding, and every time we're on top of BWM, we either are on the wrong bikes or are out of time.

You should check out our club forum. The club is Twin Valley Riders (New River, Roanoke River), and is mostly sport-touring, but there's a bit of everything going on. We meet for breakfast nearly every weekend. Today there were 11 TVR folks at Tuggles Gap for breakfast. Brisk morning. The club website is http://twinvalleyriders.com
Old 01-22-2006, 02:55 PM   #27
Nocturnal
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes. We rode all the way through, then went looking for Razorback Ridge. That's a great road too, connecting from near Pumpkin Center to near Bastian.
The entrance on the Pumpkin Center end is gated off now and is private property on that end of the mtn. You can still get in off of 52 and if you like it rough head down into Kimberling Springs. They have run a big power line through there now so it's quite a bit different looking than a few years ago.
Some pictures from the Kimberling Spings side

From the top of ridge

Quote:
I'll do that. There's a small group of us here in B'burg that like that kind of riding, and every time we're on top of BWM, we either are on the wrong bikes or are out of time.
If you go out to the power line and walk to the top of the mountain there is a great view on both sides, great place to take a break.

Quote:
You should check out our club forum. The club is Twin Valley Riders (New River, Roanoke River), and is mostly sport-touring, but there's a bit of everything going on. We meet for breakfast nearly every weekend. Today there were 11 TVR folks at Tuggles Gap for breakfast. Brisk morning. The club website is http://twinvalleyriders.com
I'll check it out and thanks for the invite.

Quote:
Old 01-23-2006, 07:31 AM   #28
cdhall
Krishl

nice pictures! we'll have to try out the the kimberling springs side. when did they gate the pumpkin center end? we rode it in either october or november. we asked the lady in the little store near the Appalachian Trail and she said there was no such road, but we looked for it anyhow and it was open. Lots of mudholes. Four of us were on two KLRs and two V-Strom 650s. Needless to say the KLRs had to stop and wait for the wee-stroms every once in a while.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:40 AM   #29
sherpa
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,175
I've explored over in that area some, but not as much as I'd like...you guys know it alot better than I do....I'd like to hook up for a ride over there sometime if you guys get together....

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:52 AM   #30
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,169
Quote:
Nice!

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote