User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2006, 10:41 AM   #16
Nopork
Dickhead Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Chris Barnes 640 Adv.Tank Protectors

Well eveyone here is a little more informations on Chris Barnes tank protectors.

Chris was kind enough to send me a couple of prototypes to get my opinions on them.

The left ones are Carbon Fiber, the ones on the right are Kevlar.

Both are very well constructed.

Chris stated he made the mold off his 04' or newer tank.
The Carbon Fiber ones fit perfectly on my 03'. The Kevlar not quite as well.

The Kevlar ones cover more area of the tank and don't fit quite as well but I think it is because of the difference in the model years tanks. They have the built in pet cock protection and it appears to be quite strong in that area.

I can easily modify the problem area on the Kevlar one to work on my 03' tank, as I have already indicated to Chris in our correspondance back and forth.

I have encouraged him to go on with his project.

My feedback on them thus far is very positive and I hope he takes them into production status and markets them, as there appears to be a demand for such an item. I feel those who want such item would not be disappointed in Chris's efforts to protect these big ass tanks, as I wanted to do, without the use of crash bars, which are not longer easily available.

See all the photos if you want at:

http://www.pbase.com/nopork/tank_protectors
Old 02-05-2006, 10:55 AM   #17
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,897
i am ready to spring for a set of the carbon fiber ones now. where do i send the money.

fyi I really dont think the petcock protection is an issue. especially when i had an air filter clog on the trail in mexico i was climbing and at about 7500 feet when it started to act up. i thought it was the jetting or gas until it started getting worse. i kept going and rode for an hour with my hand on the petcock regulating the gas thats a whole other story but i wouldnt have been able to do that with the petcock protection.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:07 PM   #18
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,178
One obvious question: why CF or kevlar instead of layering them? I would think that the properties of CF and kevlar would be very complimentary to eachother in this situation.

You are right that the tank narrows rearward, and that low-side slides likely wouldn't touch the rest of the tank, but that is on tarmac eh? On the dirt, and in the rocks and such the rest of the tank is still vulnerable. Perhaps this is a small concern and not worth guarding against.

ps - why not wrap them around to bolt onto the front tank mounting hardware?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 11:20 PM   #19
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,981
Petcock protection in s HUGE concern for a lot of us..... I always smash the crap out of mine. Seem like I only crash on the left side....
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:25 AM   #20
The Misinformant OP
What road?

Oddometer: 349
Still here and still working towards a set of gaurds. Petcock protection is one of my most important goals as some of the places I go have lots of BIG rocks and other places are 500km between fuel stops. To loose juice is really going to ruin your mood.
The Misinformant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:28 AM   #21
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
tank protectors

Nice pics--many thanks Myron.

Just a couple of points of clarification.

The "yellow" ones are a carbon/kevlar mixed weave--and the kevlar is a "$%^&" to trim as you might expect.

Its a shame that it doesn't fit so well at the bottom on the 03--they look the same and its a reasonable fit on a 05 tank?--The mould actually incorporates a complete wrap around at the bottom to box the petcock in--but still leaving an access hole and hopefully just enough room to remove the tap itself--my problem was inner growth on laying up in the mould ( a silly "mistake"), and the box section would not fit over the tank lower--hence I had to leave just the outer area for fit. I intend to split the mould and widen it so that the final box section design can remain.(allows for growth on lay up)

On bolting--- this is just a single point of contact--my view is that a "loose" fit siliconed in place will provide flexibility, depth--combined with the toughness of the protector itself. If you have ever tried to remove a flat sheet siliconed in place I guarantee that you will have to destroy the sheet in the process--I can't see these falling off or moving in a hurry--the only time you will need to do it is if you are replacing them--and even if the tank is scratched the new covers will cover the scratches/scars .

Don't rush with orders just yet---if there is enough interest I'll develop the petcock version--However, the design in plain carbon is certainly a lot easier to do and I can make a few of these a little quicker.

The trouble with this sort of thing is that its a lot of work to make just a few--perhaps thats why no commercial concern has taken it up. Please also note that these are not full vacuum bagged commercial quality (yet) --its not my "trade" so to speak.
Chrisbarnes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:35 AM   #22
braaap!
waiting for the big one

Oddometer: 2,360
Thumb

Fan-bloody-tastic ChrisBarnes1,

your CFguards look the ducks guts... please count me, as being on the list of your future customers..... mines an '04 model.

otherwise, in the very near future.... I might just have alot less fuel capacity!

100kph 'flat' down a gravel road evened out the deep ugly scars though

regards,
braaap! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:49 AM   #23
meat popsicle
Ignostic

A few posters have had bad luck with silicone holding the Japanese guards, although I do not know if they used the silicone properly. Could have been an installation error.

Bolting: I guess you know where I am talking about; but if not it's at #2 below. My thought was in order to make a second contact spot to wrap it around the aft edge of the tank, which would also protect the areas of the tank not vulnerable to a tarmac low-side - in case of a crash on rough ground (rocks) or some other hard object. Or does this make the construction to complicated?

This might be a silly question, but you did get the kevlar-specific scissors eh? You probably already had ones that work for CF. Just a thought.

Ah, the combo fabrics. Then one very serious question: why aren't you using the black/orange combo fabric?!? KTM baby!

Old 02-08-2006, 02:44 AM   #24
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
tank protectors

Looks like the carbon/kevlar shape will cover the damage--I did my base moulding on a downed tank.

Cutting the Kevlar is not a problem--its just if you are trimming the edges--it doesn't respond too well to the usual abrasives and can leave some little "feathers".

Is orange weave available?--didn't know this?--contact company?

Bolting point noted--the only complication is growing the mould to allow for thickness growth when laying up--a "right angle" is ok--but a "U" section more difficult----if its just holding would some small prefabricated brackets do the job (in aluminium)--these could be pop rivetted to the final moulding--or perhaps bonded in afterwards?

Chris
Chrisbarnes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:42 AM   #25
meat popsicle
Ignostic

does basing your moulding on a downed tank mean that it will fit the downed tank best and not one with all it's material? or was the downed tank just superficial damage?

How about a good ole' dremel on the edges? You could also contact BigTwin (he made CF/kevlar guards for the 950 folks) for his finishing secrets.

Here is a source for the orange/black weave (hybrid fabric):

http://www.shopmaninc.com/hybrids.html
They also have green, yellow, red, and blue (2000 tanks eh?)
I haven't bought anything from this company so this isn't an endorsement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by above link
************** Important Notice *******************
Due to the worldwide carbon fiber and Kevlar shortages we may not always have full roll quantities in stock. We are presently able to continue supplying some cut yardage lengths shown below. We will try to keep our website updated with current availability issues as they arise. Thank you for your understanding.
You could use part #2 (aluminum) as your bracket to attach to the guard after curing...

Old 02-08-2006, 03:05 PM   #26
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,981
Its nice to see someone getting this done. Oh, the orange, IMO, looks LAME! Remember not all of us have orange tanks.....
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:14 PM   #27
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali
Its nice to see someone getting this done. Oh, the orange, IMO, looks LAME! Remember not all of us have orange tanks.....
I don't either, but standard CF look is pretty bling-bling IMhO. Not that I hate it, but I thought that a little color might look good, especially on an grey/black 03...

Probably need to do some PhotoChop to see.

Old 02-09-2006, 04:16 AM   #28
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
I thought that a little color might look good, especially on an grey/black 03...
Dude, that pickup musta banged your head real hard ! (I'm a fully paid up member of big banged brain brotherhood too)

The sombre shaded six 40 ADV section of La familia might not be impresed with you suggesting the pinicle version of the Adv be messed with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Probably need to do some PhotoChop to see
We don't need no stinkin' Photo chop.

We have creepers bike for trying out cruel and unusual colour combinations / scheme's!

O.k. Creepy, version 46.8 (the White whale) looks shweeeet !! And I'm jellous of your Rezman seat.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!

rjf screwed with this post 02-09-2006 at 05:44 AM Reason: correcting gramatical oversights, YFF's
rjf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 05:38 AM   #29
Rub Al Khali
Stroller

Oddometer: 6
They are just right for me

Count me in if intend to do that guards and if it is possible to ship them to Italy. I would need a pair made of CF/KVR in blue and black for my Adv '98. How about the price?
Bye
Rub Al Khali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:05 AM   #30
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf
Dude, that pickup musta banged your head real hard ! (I'm a fully paid up member of big banged brain brotherhood too)

The sombre shaded six 40 ADV section of La familia might not be impresed with you suggesting the pinicle version of the Adv be messed with.

We don't need no stinkin' Photo chop.

...[/SIZE]
Nothing wrong with sweaters rjf. At least you know they are workin'!

I am all for a dash of color here and there. I wish I hadn't been so brain damaged right after the crash or I would have asked for the orange Renthal bars.