Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2006, 09:49 AM   #31
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer: 1,164
I'd like the guard to cover more of the lower lobes. Have it come up to just below the lower vent hole....it's not just the leading edge that takes all the abuse. Kind of "J" shaped.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:34 PM   #32
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,310
If anybody is counting, add me to the "interested" list...
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:59 AM   #33
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Tank protectors

We seem to have a bit of interest from all over the planet--and a variety of preferences on design.

I think I'm warming to make new moulds--this time using wax sheet to grow the the tank before I cast the moulds--should allow for lay up, make for a better fit, and allow me to do a wrap around protection for the petcock. This is going to take a little time--and I'll also experiment with vacuum bagging on the old moulds for a better internal and external finish--this shouldn't take too long ( and I'll post pics in plain CF when done). For the second generation I can then make in a material to suit the bike--and the recipient can trim a little to suit their own preferences if they wish. The weather is getting a bit warmer so its a bit easier to burn the midnight oil in my garage at the bottom of the garden--I don't have the standard US basement--we don't go for that sort of thing in the UK.

On cost it will need about $40 or so to cover material--then we have postage--and perhaps a little bit to cover my effort. I've had a look at the colour options--amazing--I don't know whether they will be available in the UK--and If not I'll investigate whether the US firm will ship abroad--some don't (and postage is high)--and the other issue is minimum order quantity. If people can live with plain CF then life will be easier.

Be patient and I'll plod on--its one of those projects that requires real bursts of enthusiasm.

I'm off to Snowdonia next weekend (a traditional BMW club camping weekend--I'm still in the club!)--I'll either use the Adventure--or if its really salty and snowy then I'll use the old 86 Tenere (modified to suit the KTM Gobi panniers--pic attached)
Attached Images

Chrisbarnes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:49 PM   #34
braaap!
waiting for the big one

Oddometer: 2,319
hi CB1!

appreciate your work on developing these! I agree, plain CF / kevlar is the way to go.... the colored mat is a bit sus!.... 'rap-bling' rears its ugly head?

Imagine, in the future, everytime one of us (me ) decks the bike.... and boasts, "yeah this cool guy from UK made these, saved my tank a million times!''

nice blue10 by the way.

now, get back into that shed!....

braaap! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 08:18 PM   #35
scottmoto16
Scooter Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,076
Howdy Chris,

Put me down for a set , for my 2005 Adv.

Haven't dropped it yet , but have come close a couple of times.

An extra bit of protection , for when it happens ,and it will , would be nice.

My vote for colour , plain carbon or kevlar is great.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:43 AM   #36
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,373
I'm down for a set, I only need a right side one ! ( I've had a Bex, a Cuppa tea, and a little lie down on that side twice )

Perhaps us Aussie's could combine our orders if the freight is gunna be high.

There was a dude from South Oz that was going to make some, posted a bit earlier, maybe his, including freight will cost less. Maybe he'll not bother now someone else is doing it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:13 AM   #37
braaap!
waiting for the big one

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf
I'm down for a set, I only need a right side one ! ( I've had a Bex, a Cuppa tea, and a little lie down on that side twice )
must be a left hemisphere thing?....

[/quote] Perhaps us Aussie's could combine our orders if the freight is gunna be high.[/quote]

good idea! that would surely reduce the post cost and hassle for CB1 CF Industries
you voluntering to be the local distributor rjf?

thinkin' I might (need) get 2 sets

braaap! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:19 PM   #38
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by braaap!

Yup. Been there done that many, many times. Except for the color of the bike, that's 'bout how I ride (or not). I find the lady loves to run instead of creep. Once I start messing around on the tight goat trails or try to follow the 300 EXC guys, I just continue to add more and more scars to the tank.

Something to help would be nice as long as we make sure it's actually effective protection and not just some bling-bling squid crap.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:55 AM   #39
IronDawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Chris....Put me down for a set as well.

Do you have a number of takers yet?
IronDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:45 AM   #40
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Tank Protectors

Sounds like there is plenty of interest. I tried vacuum bagging with some success--but on the original "straight " moulds. Still not good enough to market so I'll keep them as a spare for mine. Anyway, I now need to do the job properly and make new moulds from gel etc that will take some use and also be constructed to make vacuum bagging easier and more effective.

Please be patient as its a bit of a long process to get good moulds, and a good fit and finish.
I took my Adventure to Snowdonia this weekend just gone--a BMW rally but 3 950s and my 640 made up a strong KTM leaning. The weather was unusually good for this time of year--but salt and muck on the way back required a thorough cleaning job--nearly decked it on the road with a front end slide on a corner--the second time its happened on the Metzeler Sahara enduros---are there better tyres out there for road work as they are also wearing down pretty rapidly?--pic attached.

Chris
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2006, 11:48 AM   #41
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Tank protectors

And just one more pic as the reflections on the water were superb.

Chris
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2006, 06:36 PM   #42
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,896
chris just trying to keep this alive. i would like to get a set. also whats the chance of you making some fork protectors that will fit the 950 front end. i bet you would find more takers in the 950 area too.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:25 AM   #43
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

tank protectors

I'm making progress (albeit slow in the cold winter)--The key to producing a few is a good mould--and I'm not going to take orders until I have produced a set or two , and I'm happy with the quality and reproducibility--of course you are welcome to a set once I'm able to lay up with confidence.

On the 950 fork protectors I'm a little confused--do you mean a split carbon tube for the upper stanchion--to prevent chips from flying rocks etc (the standard low mudguard seems to do a good job for the exposed chrome on the slider?). Here in the the uk there are split carbon tubes available on the aftermarket to suit the motocross/enduro market--my local dealer will (I think) ship to the US--www.dirtbikebook.com--Gear4 ltd --www.gear4offroad.co.uk.
regards, Chris
Old 02-28-2006, 04:53 AM   #44
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,896
I want to remove my lower fender on my 05 model and install the upper fender like the 03 and older models. What I can not find are a set of lower fork protectors that fit. KTM makes a set that they use on the 65 sx that come close but the look small and one bolt hole does not line up.
i bought a set and they dont fit very well. these are virtually the same forks that are on the 950 and I know that many of them would want to convert to a higher fender too.
I disconnected one of my dual rotors and removed the wheel cylinder for it and I still have plenty of brake and a lot less unsprung weight.
I think there would be a market for cf lower fork protectors and an upper fender too.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:34 AM   #45
rob748
resident alien !!!!

Oddometer: 835
protection

l would be up for some as well, my 05 already has some big scratchs on the one side but l want some better protection if l go down on the road (might do a track day on the 640)
my father is coming over from england in April and august so we could use him as the courier or l we could use Fedex but it is $$.
my 2 cents

l used 85 sx guards and just put the hair dryer on the side piece and warmed them up to stretch them and they work OK but some CF would be nice
rob748 is offline   Reply With Quote