User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2006, 01:16 PM   #46
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Lower protection

Sorry for the tardy response--haven't visited for a while--work is progressing slowly on the tank protectors --- the weather has been too cold for glass work etc.

I do a bit of work for a local KTM dealer and will have a good look at fork leg lowers to see what's common. The 640 Adv and the 950 (and even the 990) have the same lowers. I note that the new 990 front fender (mudguard to me ) actually now uses the side bolt hole (previously just the front two--the fender used to vibrate)--This makes me think that the lower has a more traditional use where the bottom protectors typically use all 3 bolt holes--in other words the 640, 950/990 castings are not unique and there are probably stock protectors that fit.

Regards, CB
Chrisbarnes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:34 PM   #47
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,706

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #48
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

lower fork protectors 2

I've found out a few things:
1. Early 640 adventures with the high guard have a different lower casting arrangement so the early stock protectors won't fit the later bikes with bigger fork tube diameters.

2. The latest 990 lower castings have a different hole spacing for the fender (compared to the 640)-they are closer together--haven't checked the 950 versus the 640 yet.

3. I can't find any off road fork that has similar lower castings--so the 65 protector looks like the only one that's close (front two holes are parallel)--and I think this has already been discovered.

In conclusion it looks like a "special" protector is required if you want to fit a high guard--even cutting down the current low fender wouldn't work if its the 2 bolt only mounting system--too flexible.

Regards, CB
Old 03-10-2006, 12:32 PM   #49
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,893
the 65 protector doesnt fit well at all. i have a set on mine right now. the front two holes are too wide but will work and the rear is not even close.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:11 AM   #50
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Count me in for a set for an 03. What's the nominal thickness of these guards??
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:38 PM   #51
WageSlave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
I'm in for a set of guards for my '03 640ADV as well.

Current ride - '09 DRZ-400SM (Adventurized)
WageSlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:12 PM   #52
1stworks
dude

Oddometer: 1,608
Tank Guards

I would love to buy 3 set of tank guards for 03,05,06 640 adv.
Please tell my how to pay and when i can have them.

Thanks
firstworks
1stworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:23 PM   #53
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

640 Adventure tank guards

Sorry guys for being absent for so long--haven't forgotten the guards--plug is prepped with 2mm wax sheet--just need to make the moulds. The LH gurd will extend below the petcock and they will cover the tank up to the vent hole and then blend rearwards at the bottom--keep the faith.

ps I'm off to Romania in a couple of weeks--Dracula Rally--about a 3,500 mile round trip--4 days out, 4 days riding in the Carpathians (I think) and then 4 days back to the uk. About 70 Brit bikes are going.

Just seen a 2006 Adventure--black frame and new tank graphics are the only changes that I can see--but a new 690 LC4 replacement is coming--with fuel injection and a trellis frame like the 950 SM--I guess there will be an adventure model as well.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:32 PM   #54
SpringOly
Old Swede

Oddometer: 187
Wink Sign me up for a set, please!

For some reason my 06 640 came with a bullseye located squarely on the left front and side of my tank. It's pretty easy to spot - it says "Drop Here" encircled in red and white. In spite of throwing my body in front of my left-side-tipping-over bike to save yet another tank scrape (resulting in breaking of ribs, foot and wrist) the bike simply continues to go left and plop onto the tank at speed! Oh well - if I get these tank guards, I bet I'll never use 'em, cause that's how my life works.

So please add my name to the list of people looking for some protection!

Thanks!
SpringOly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:23 PM   #55
Surlyguy

Oddometer: n/a
count me in too for tank guards

Looks like I need some carbon bling for tank protection. So count me in for tank guards.

Keep us posted. I'll be in London and Scotland in October so it might be easier then shipping mine to Canada.

Ta

Blair
Old 07-27-2006, 01:20 PM   #56
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

tank guards--latest version

just had a burst of enthusiasm---sorry to keep you all waiting---just taken the first set of the mark 3s out of the moulds and fitted them--be warned silicon really sticks --the old ones were a real pain to remove and can even pull paint off if you dont "slice" carefully through the silicon with a "plastic" knife.

brief description--two layers of carbon plus a chopped strand backing, poly resin, acrylic lacquered for finish--but they are a garage product and my vacuum bagging is not the best--so there is the odd blemish. The hole for the petcock is small and fiddly--but retains strength--I don't know how the carbon will take a direct hit in the petcock area--so can't guarantee that it will save you if you are really unlucky. Moulds were taken from a 2mm wax coated tank allowing for guard thickness--there are lots of curves so getting a super fit is damned difficult--plus if I totally enclosed the petcock you wouldn't be able to get the pipe off. Carbon can be trimmed easily with a Dremil type diamond wheel--so you can (with a round mini sander) open up the petcock hole as well as change the curves--but only take away carbon--I can't grow the moulds any more.

Rough cost will be about $120---I've invested a lot of time and effort --and materials-- to get this far. Carbon is getting expensive--aero industry is gobbling it up. I can use other kevlar/carbon weaves etc if I can source it in small quantities. This is a personal quest, not a production line--so I can only get to it in the odd evening etc. I would prefer to make them on request and just ask for a small deposit to cover postage and a bit of material-- with the balance on receipt and satisfaction--otherwise returned at your cost--trust is paramount--I'm well aware that my quality is not up to the professional outfits standards-hence I wouldn't ask for full payment unless you are satisfied--but these guards will mask most scratches and can be replaced if you do it again!

I'll try and add a couple of pics and answer any questions.

Chris
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2006, 01:22 PM   #57
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Latest tank protectors 2--next pic

Next pic.

Chris
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2006, 01:25 PM   #58
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

latest tank protectors 3--next pic

Next pic.
Chris
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2006, 01:27 PM   #59
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Latest tank protectors 4--next pic

And one final pic.

Chris
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2006, 01:33 PM   #60
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Latest tank guards--possible reason for use

I couldn't resist adding a couple of pics of me thrashing the old girl around Mallory Park racetrack on a track day this week--handled well, went well--but the Scorpions got very jelly like.

Chris
Attached Images