User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2006, 02:49 PM   #76
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
640 Adventure tank guards

I've just finished the first set (apart from those on my bike)--quality is good--but not perfect (related to commercial products)--fit checked out fine on my tank plug---pics attached. Will proceed with next set--I'd like to have a few pairs ready before I contact those that have expressed interest--at least this way the actual waiting time from order to receipt will be short.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbarnes1
And one more pic

Chris
Attached Images

Chrisbarnes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:52 PM   #77
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Adv 640 tank protectors

pic of the inside----my vacuum bagging is not as good as I'd like (really need a bigger pump)--but its pretty smooth and I've removed any lumps or ridges.

Chris
Quote:
I've just finished the first set (apart from those on my bike)--quality is good--but not perfect (related to commercial products)--fit checked out fine on my tank plug---pics attached. Will proceed with next set--I'd like to have a few pairs ready before I contact those that have expressed interest--at least this way the actual waiting time from order to receipt will be short.

Chris
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2006, 02:54 PM   #78
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Adventure tank protectors

And one more pic of the RHS

Chris

Quote:
pic of the inside----my vacuum bagging is not as good as I'd like (really need a bigger pump)--but its pretty smooth and I've removed any lumps or ridges.

Chris
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2006, 01:43 PM   #79
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

640 Adv tank protectors--update

For those of you that have contacted me personally I've made 6 sets so far , so will be contacting people shortly ( in date order) to see if you still want them. I've made a couple of sets in carbon/kevlar as a couple of people were interested (one 50/50 weave and one about 75/25 kevlar/carbon)--but they are a real !"@ to finish--kevlar will not cut easily--I suppose thats the purpose-----anyway, I don't really want to make any more unless really forced as it takes too damned long.

Regards, CB
Old 08-25-2006, 03:20 PM   #80
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,134
OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH... ya did the CF/Kevlar weaves!!!

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:00 PM   #81
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Quote:
For those of you that have contacted me personally I've made 6 sets so far , so will be contacting people shortly ( in date order) to see if you still want them. I've made a couple of sets in carbon/kevlar as a couple of people were interested (one 50/50 weave and one about 75/25 kevlar/carbon)--but they are a real !"@ to finish--kevlar will not cut easily--I suppose thats the purpose-----anyway, I don't really want to make any more unless really forced as it takes too damned long.

Regards, CB
Hey Chris, let buyers in Oz know so that they could combine postage if wanted - like me, rjf and braap expressed interest. Cheers
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:17 AM   #82
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

640 Adv tank protectors

will send pics.

CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH... ya did the CF/Kevlar weaves!!!
Old 08-27-2006, 11:23 AM   #83
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

640 Adv tank protectors

Makes sense as the box shouldn't be any bigger and the weight increase minimal--will be in touch---now back to the garage.

ps has anyone messed with the Mikuni settings--I've gone up a jet size and raised the needle a notch to get the best from a more open airbox and exhaust--and then had trouble just off idle--the compensation jetting was off and it sometimes stalls--a good friend (who knows the carbs) said the same happens on the BMW F650--interestingly the cure (which seems to work) is to actually weaken the idle mixture slightly--this seems to allow more fuel for the compensation when you crack open the butterfly--strange--but seems to be true.

CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr
Hey Chris, let buyers in Oz know so that they could combine postage if wanted - like me, rjf and braap expressed interest. Cheers
Old 08-28-2006, 09:33 AM   #84
Hyde
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Will this work ?

Another Another Hyde Racing product.
Attached Images

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:27 AM   #85
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,134
Quote:

ps has anyone messed with the Mikuni settings--I've gone up a jet size and raised the needle a notch to get the best from a more open airbox and exhaust--and then had trouble just off idle--the compensation jetting was off and it sometimes stalls--a good friend (who knows the carbs) said the same happens on the BMW F650--interestingly the cure (which seems to work) is to actually weaken the idle mixture slightly--this seems to allow more fuel for the compensation when you crack open the butterfly--strange--but seems to be true.

CB
I read the same thing in the Dellorto carb PDFs. I was thinking perhaps it was a "flooding" issue, and the smaller pilot jet brings the stoichiometry back into line off idle.

You should post this question into creeper's LC4 setup thread; I can't give you any feedback on your friend's description of why. If you do try to drop a size in the idle circuit jet I'd be very interested in your results.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:34 PM   #86
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde
Another Another Hyde Racing product.
Only one certain way of finding out - drop the bike over and see what happens!
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:34 AM   #87
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Hyde protectors

Looks like a nice job---in Lexan?

They look to be fixed by sticky backed velcro discs--certainly will prevent stone chips and may take a low speed fall--but will fill up with dirt and go dull after a while--I'll check out the site.

CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde
http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1156782692Another Another Hyde Racing product.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:15 PM   #88
bEnt_bars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Eh? broken petcock

Quote:

Regards, CB
Well if not too late I think that I would like to get on your list if possible.

I was out for a weekend ride and managed to do a little tank 'testing' which resulted in

and a broken petcock that we Macgiver'ed and rerouted the fuel lines to continue the ride

here's a picture of the broken 'cock'

i've pm'd you chris
bEnt_bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:34 AM   #89
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,821
Guards received from Chris and they look pretty darn good!

I will not be installing for a week or 2 when I do an oil cheange/valve check and have the bike disassembled
Old 09-18-2006, 11:49 AM   #90
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

640 Adv tank protectors

I'm amazed thatthe tank fixings (petcock) didn't fail--tough tank!--your get you home repair is excellent--everyone should carry a little plate and gasket for just such an emergency.

I was twittering on about making kevlar protectors--not the carbon which is much easier to finish--I'm sure we'll be in touch and I'll crack on with a couple more sets once the enthusiasm meter is back in the green again.

Chris

ps I hope KTM take note when they produce the new version with the 690 motor--and make it more crashworthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquorpig
Well if not too late I think that I would like to get on your list if possible.

I was out for a weekend ride and managed to do a little tank 'testing' which resulted in

and a broken petcock that we Macgiver'ed and rerouted the fuel lines to continue the ride

here's a picture of the broken 'cock'

i've pm'd you chris