User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2006, 08:44 PM   #91
rjdills
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Sign me up!

I would like a set for my 05 640. Should I send a deposit? I am willing to send the entire payment in advance; the photos make it clear for have a nice product. I'm not in a hurry, but would like to be in line for a set.
1977 Triumph Bonnevile 750 (Bonnie)
1977 Yamaha 500TT (Tata)
2001 Beta ALP 200 (Betty)
2004 BMW 1150 GS (Sally)
2007 KTM 450 EXC (Rikki)
2008 Kawasaki KLR 650 (Karen)
2008 Beta 250 LongRide Trial (Bella)
2008 Polaris Razr (Rachel)
2009 BMW 1200 GS (Bailey)
2009 Honda CRF 230 R (Heather)
rjdills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:23 PM   #92
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
640 Adv tank protectors

Just send me an e-mail for my records at chrisbarnes1@yahoo.com I'll let you know when I have a set available.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdills
I would like a set for my 05 640. Should I send a deposit? I am willing to send the entire payment in advance; the photos make it clear for have a nice product. I'm not in a hurry, but would like to be in line for a set.
Chrisbarnes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:51 AM   #93
dl11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
that is what I need

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde
http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1156782692Another Another Hyde Racing product.
Hi
did anybody buy this?
how much is it?
where can I find them?
how good are they?
they look fine for light off road use...
dl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:42 AM   #94
Surlyguy

Oddometer: n/a
Kevlar version

Thought I should update this thread with a pic of the Kevlar version. I know Chris hates making these versus the carbon ones so sorry Chris.

I wasn't crazy about the color of the Kevar with the orange paint but its growing on me. Besides I was looking for function any way.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to make the bike as clean as some of these other posts.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:11 AM   #95
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,130
I have those same ones surlyguy, and was about to install them last weekend, but then remembered that I am getting a petcock for christmas... so I would have to uninstall them for that.

I have the fugitive adhesive cartridges for this fancy glue gun, and the hard mount straps prepared... but I will be waiting for the petcock.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:22 AM   #96
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,820
I've got a set of the Carbon fiber ones from Mark that I haven't yet installed

I'm going back and forth as to keep the bike or get something more road worthy - if anybody wants them for what I paid they just have to PM me otherwise I'l throw 'em in the flea market next week
Old 12-05-2006, 08:07 AM   #97
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

kevlar/carbon tank protectors

Nice job--actually the colour is sort of growing on me. One advantage is that they don't show scratches and surface blemishes as easily as the plain carbon version.

You are right--I don't like making them--its pretty close to sackcloth and ashes-but probably good for self control-the moulding bit is ok--its the finishing.

I now have a little trick which is to start with a thin layer of glass cloth around the edges (which also goes beyond the edge during layup)--this is before I apply the kevlar/carbon. This gives a greater depth of workable resin on the outside and makes finishing the edges a little cleaner and avoids too many kevlar "feathers". The cloth disappears when wetted so you wouldn't know--unless you sand a bit too much and reveal the weave--maybe a useful tip for anyone contemplating making their own kit.

Regards, Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surlyguy
Thought I should update this thread with a pic of the Kevlar version. I know Chris hates making these versus the carbon ones so sorry Chris.

I wasn't crazy about the color of the Kevar with the orange paint but its growing on me. Besides I was looking for function any way.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to make the bike as clean as some of these other posts.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #98
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

640 Adv tank protectors--update-pre 03 tank fitment

I've just managed to try my guards on a pre 03 Adventure--silver tank, screw filler and no SAS--they fit fine--and once I've got the pics from someone elses camera I will post---In other words no shape change in this area--I know some people with pre 03s were unwilling to take a chance on fit.

Regards, CB
Old 03-26-2007, 03:35 PM   #99
WageSlave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Set available in SoCal

I purchase a set of Chris' carbon fiber tank guards for my '03 KTM 640 ADV but the bike is out of commission and I don't have the cash to repair it. To get the cash I'm going to sell a couple of things... including these tank guards. If anyone is interested then send me a message with your offer. Thank you!

Current ride - '09 DRZ-400SM (Adventurized)
WageSlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:18 AM   #100
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Oddometer: 1,651
Chris, I've just bought a set of these from you (Chris Desmond ordered them), and they look great, and I haven't even fitted them yet. I've recently come from a KLR650 to the 640adv so I'm still fairly new to this bike. A dry fit of the left side tankguard has me confused. When the KLR650 starts to run out of fuel I simply turn the fuel tap to reserve while I'm riding. I've automatically been doing the same thing with the 640. But it looks to me like I won't be able to this once the tankguards are fitted. What do you do? Do you have the tap on reserve all the time you're riding?
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbarnes1
And one more pic

Chris

"All the freaky people make the beauty in the world" - Michael Franty. Weird, odd and proud of it
Paves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:40 AM   #101
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,791
Saw these fitted to an Aprilia on Ebay recently - apparently dropped on a circuit and interesting to note the abrasion to the Akra CF cover. To be fair, probably happened at some speed but the result seems to indicate CF is not immune from severe abrasion. A KTM would likely suffer less due to lower speed.

overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:09 AM   #102
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,130
heya overlander,

yeah, you are on it: CF is a structural composite and not designed to withstand abrasion. That is Kevlar's forte, and the reason why some of us bugged Chris Barnes enough to get him to fight with the stuff and make some guards with it. Thanks again Chris!

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #103
Surlyguy

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paves
Chris, I've just bought a set of these from you (Chris Desmond ordered them), and they look great, and I haven't even fitted them yet. I've recently come from a KLR650 to the 640adv so I'm still fairly new to this bike. A dry fit of the left side tankguard has me confused. When the KLR650 starts to run out of fuel I simply turn the fuel tap to reserve while I'm riding. I've automatically been doing the same thing with the 640. But it looks to me like I won't be able to this once the tankguards are fitted. What do you do? Do you have the tap on reserve all the time you're riding?
Steve
You can grind the hole a little bigger if you need to. Chris left the hole fairly small for protection of the petcock.

I ground mine out to a bigger size for personal preference.
The fuel light comes on a few kilometers before you need to flip to reserve. So when I see the fuel light I pull over and go to reserve.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #104
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Oddometer: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surlyguy
You can grind the hole a little bigger if you need to. Chris left the hole fairly small for protection of the petcock.

I ground mine out to a bigger size for personal preference.
The fuel light comes on a few kilometers before you need to flip to reserve. So when I see the fuel light I pull over and go to reserve.
Thanks Surly. I thought I'd noticed te reserve light coming on before I switched to reserve. Now I understand what's happening - modern technology eh!!

"All the freaky people make the beauty in the world" - Michael Franty. Weird, odd and proud of it
Paves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:43 AM   #105
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

640 Adv tank protectors

Just noticed your post.

The small hole is JUST big enough for you to turn the tap (deliberate to maintain structure). If you have a post 03 with the fuel reserve light then I suggest you leave the tap permanently on reserve (I do)--as the light is pretty accurate on my bike at least--and it saves spluttering to a stop at the most inconvenient places.

Regards, Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paves
Steve