Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2007, 09:23 PM   #106
habanero
Multistradler & LC4player

Oddometer: 95
I am in the market for a set of tank protectors if they are still being made....

thx, scott
habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #107
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,317
I busted my gas tank reaL GOOD. I counted so many cracks in so many places that I decided to skeep repair option.I think plastic itself wasn't cured properly or something. It's at least 8 years old, so who knows.
I got used rally tank 28L, which came with corbin seat. From a member, got a good deal on it.
Anyway, Chris sent me a set of protection. It looks like very substential protection.
Here some pictures:

666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:51 PM   #108
RedDread
What I can While I can.

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666
I busted my gas tank reaL GOOD. I counted so many cracks in so many places that I decided to skeep repair option.I think plastic itself wasn't cured properly or something. It's at least 8 years old, so who knows.
I got used rally tank 28L, which came with corbin seat. From a member, got a good deal on it.
Anyway, Chris sent me a set of protection. It looks like very substential protection.
Here some pictures:

Where can a guy get a set of these?
RedDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:54 PM   #109
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDread
Where can a guy get a set of these?
Read through this thread and you will have your answer, if ChrisBarnes1 is still making them.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #110
Sno Dawg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
640 Adventure Tank Protection

I read through the post and just emailed Chris to see if he is still making them and/or has any available. When I hear something, I will post it on here. I really hope that I can get a set as they really look great and solve a major problem by protecting the tank.

more later..........

Sno Dawg
Sno Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:59 PM   #111
Jiminy Cricket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Hello everyone. Thought I would let you all know that Chris Barnes is alive and well, and I have the proof on my bike. Just a couple weeks since contacting him and voila! Man, he sure does nice work. Ridiculously easy to install, and they should protect the tank from any more abrasion -and protect the silly hangy-downy petcock waiting to get ripped off. I asked if he minded that I post pics, and he said go for it, so he is still in business. Thumbs up for a job well done.

Jiminy Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:41 AM   #112
CAPTAIN Z
OZ Mission Master

Oddometer: 124
Looks great, are those kevlar one's still available or just carbon...??
CAPTAIN Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:34 AM   #113
joemk12
Yellow Terror

Oddometer: 9
tank guards

Chris,

Just emailed you about your tank guards. I have an 03 Adventure and if possible would take the kevlar over the CF, more concerned with abrasion resistance than good looks!!!!!! but will take whatever you have no problem. Also my bike has been castrated so no petcock if that matters. Money's on the way as soon as I hear from you !!!!!!!

Later
Old 06-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #114
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
Hi guys, I just picked up a 06 adventure with a set of Chris's tank gaurds uninstalled.

How are you guys fastening them? I'm assuming RTV and if so what kind do you recommend and how much do you use. Also are you sealing the edges or just putting big blobs every so often.

It looks like I'll have to devise a way to keep pressure on them till the sealant hardens as to limit the gaps. Thanks for any suggestions, bye.
LoFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #115
Jiminy Cricket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
From Chris:

"....first apply some clear self adhesive film (THIN) to the area of the tank using the guards as a guide (the sort that has none setting adhesive and is used to protect paint). The guards can then be attached using a clear bathroom grade silicone in strategic blobs with a thin film around the edge (and wipe off excess before it cures). Hold in place with lots of duct tape etc and leave overnight to cure. If you apply the silicone direct to the tank and want to remove them then it really sticks and might pull paint. The curing process also might affect the paint and the film will help prevent this. The thin film adhesive will soften with gentle heat so stands a chance of pulling away when required. You could go for a less permanent adhesive (but they might come off)--or you could go for a more direct application if they are likely to be permanent--and covering an already damaged tank for example."

I skipped the film and stuck'em straight on. YMMV.
Jiminy Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:35 PM   #116
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953
Thanks Jiminy, just what I was looking for. I think I'll try your method.

I once used that clear adhesive film to stop some luggage straps from marring the finnish on a ducati that I once had. Well it worked but when I removed the film it removed all the clearcoat also. God I love those Ducs. Thanks again man!
LoFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #117
Aussie Steve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,389
Hi,

What adhesives have you been using on the polyethelyne hard parts tanks?

Thanks,

Steve
Aussie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #118
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steve
Hi,

What adhesives have you been using on the polyethelyne hard parts tanks?

Thanks,

Steve
Since the PE tanks breathe gas fumes, adhesives should not stay, um, adhered. I'd be interested in the answer you get too.

P.S. I tried a gentler adhesive on my PA tank (not a breather) - fugitive bond adhesive - but it didn't work because the guards are slightly smaller than the tanks and need a stronger adhesive to keep them from springing off. The only way around this is if Chris were to use a slightly larger model of the tank for a mold so when they shrink during curing they are the correct size, but that is only an issue for those trying weaker adhesives.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #119
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,481
is this still around??

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #120
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,897
I am interested in a set, are they still available?
mars is offline   Reply With Quote