Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
KawiTexan OP
Confused Collegiate

Oddometer: 46
HALP. Newly Purchased TE610 Woes/Concerns

Howdy,

I took the leap this week and put the DRZ400 up for sale to go buy a TE610. Found a cool '08 w/ 3100 miles yesterday, loved it, bought it. It seems in my bike purchasing state of euphoria, I seemed to miss a couple of issues about the newest pony in the stable. So here it goes:

1.Bike seems pretty unenthusiastic about starting up when cold. My DRZ is the same way, but she is carbed so shouldn't an injected bike fire up right away with no issues?

2. Clutch lever looks to be replaced with a non matching clutch lever and apparently you can no longer find clutch levers for these anymore? Aftermarket?

3. Clutch is either wildly out of adjustment or PO fried it (but in 3000 miles though?!). Bike refuses to go into neutral when running, and tries to creep forward or die at stop lights. He had it all the way adjusted out, so is it screwed?

4. Checked cam chain tension today, seemed to be fine. But had a tick in the top end. Is this a thing they just do? Would this freak anybody out? Is this a ride it until it goes boom sort of scenario?

#1-3 are livable/fixable but #4 has me a little nervous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWzcGSLTToo
KawiTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,852
I'd check the check the valves if you haven't already AND read the TE610 thread.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #3
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I'd check the check the valves if you haven't already AND read the TE610 thread.
+1

The 610 is one of the few engines I've had where the top end wears faster than the valve seats and the valves get looser rather than tighter over time.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #4
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,660
The clutch lever is part number 800089813 and is $10.75 at halls-cycles.com

Download the free fiche and get used to looking up and plugging in part numbers on their site if you want things quick and easy. Tis' the Italian Husqvarna way,

As to not overly enthusiastic to fire up, do you have to crank it for minutes or seconds? A 3 second crank and needing a little throttle to get it going was pretty normal with my FI husky.

The clutch is probably out of adjustment, and it isn't abnormal to have creep or hard to find neutral. Husky clutches are fairly bomb proof from an engagement standpoint and if it was fried it would slip, not overly engage. The clutch spring retainers on that model frag if left alone, there is a permanent fix out there. Searching for it should pull it up.

Play with the adjuster and see what you can figure out.

You now own an exotic, they are fiddly but perform awesome, you just have to do your part by learning their quirks. cafe husky is a great resource for that.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:57 PM   #5
KawiTexan OP
Confused Collegiate

Oddometer: 46
So far, it seems that I only have to crank for 15 seconds or so. But, I have to babysit the idle for about 30 sec before she is happy to run on her own. I am beginning to think that this clutch issue might have to do with the fact the PO put some random clutch lever on there because it doesn't seem to match the perch. I will comb the 610 thread tomorrow when I find some down time. Anybody know the valve clearances and/or intervals? Appreciate the help.

All woes aside, this bike seems to be about as much fun as you can have with your pants still on. It just seems I just need to start learning the quirks of switching from a donkey to a stallion.
KawiTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:56 AM   #6
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
When you cold start the bike, are you engaging the enrichener lever that's up by the clutch? Even sitting for 30 days, mine starts up after 3 seconds every time, as long as the enrichener is used.

My '08 has a tough time finding neutral if the bike is not rolling. My understanding is that it's a common complaint, and just the way it is.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,447
My '06 was always hard to find neutral sitting still...I soon figured out to grab neutral as I was coming to a stop. It got easier with more miles.

These are not the quietest engines in the world...
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:52 PM   #8
stan23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
My '06 SM610 was impossible to find neutral while stopped as well. I rode a friend's SMS630 and it's the same.

I've never heard a motor where it sounded so 'clanky' It was far worse than my old LC4. Some call this character.

For cold start issues, I would check the valves -- they are simple. Screw type adjuster. I found that after riding the bike, every 2 K miles, the bike would be hard to start cold and it was generally because the valves were tightening up.
stan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #9
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
My TE630 is the same - I would consider a minor miracle for it to go into neutral while not moving.
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #10
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Based on my experience with a buddies TE610...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiTexan View Post
Howdy,

I took the leap this week and put the DRZ400 up for sale to go buy a TE610. Found a cool '08 w/ 3100 miles yesterday, loved it, bought it. It seems in my bike purchasing state of euphoria, I seemed to miss a couple of issues about the newest pony in the stable. So here it goes:

1.Bike seems pretty unenthusiastic about starting up when cold. My DRZ is the same way, but she is carbed so shouldn't an injected bike fire up right away with no issues?

2. Clutch lever looks to be replaced with a non matching clutch lever and apparently you can no longer find clutch levers for these anymore? Aftermarket?

3. Clutch is either wildly out of adjustment or PO fried it (but in 3000 miles though?!). Bike refuses to go into neutral when running, and tries to creep forward or die at stop lights. He had it all the way adjusted out, so is it screwed?

4. Checked cam chain tension today, seemed to be fine. But had a tick in the top end. Is this a thing they just do? Would this freak anybody out? Is this a ride it until it goes boom sort of scenario?

#1-3 are livable/fixable but #4 has me a little nervous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWzcGSLTToo
He bought the bike new February 2010, always seemed to labor when starting and a little tempermental at first to stay running but it never let him down, we've ridden a lot of miles together.
He's always had trouble with finding neutral when setting, very small window/slot for neutral.
He's always had the ticking noise when starting, goes away within 5 seconds of being started. Seems to be a normal characteristic at least to his bike.