User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
exacto OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
need your opinions

So I recently bought a te610 ( my dream bike) and It's an amazing bike...the problem is that i's to amazing that I dont want to off-road it because im worried of damaging/ scraping it up. It's important to me because im a poor college student and these bikes/parts for these bikes are not cheap. I'm also a fairly new dirtbike rider and a brand new beginner to "heavy dual sport offroading" Because of this fact im a lot more cautious and in fact dont ride offroad it as much as i would like...

My question for you guys is what would you guys do if you were put in my situation.

1) sell the husky and buy a cheaper dual sport (like an xr650l or dr650 or drz400s)
2) keep the bike and forget about keeping it clean, just ride it, and hope nothing breaks
3) any other ideas...?

I'm not new to street bikes, nor dirtbikes, but brand new to dualsport offroading.
exacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
tokyo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
It's a lesson I learned.. Even though less capable, I seem to have more fun on cheaper bikes, or bikes bought cheaply anyway.

The less I pay the less I expect from a bike and the greater its chances of exceeding those expectations.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
mach1mustang351
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
I vote for number 2. Bikes were designed to be ridden. If this bike works and acts like you need it to and you are comfortable on it RIDE IT!!! You may want to purposely push it over or something and gets its first scratches out of the way

I bought my V Strom brand new and some how some way the front fairing cracked and broke off with about 3k miles on it. From that point on it was a "used beat up bike" and I got to treat it like the machine it is.

Take it out have a great time.
mach1mustang351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:39 PM   #4
JDUBinCO
Mass Centralized

Oddometer: 51
Option 3: get a Dr 350, xr250, xr400, etc that is already a little beat up for $700-$1000. Keep the te cause you love it. Ride the beater like you stole it for a season or two and learn a LOT about how to ride and bike maintenance. Sell it for $600-$900.

It will be the cheapest option. And you will venture off road with confidence aboard your prized te.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:56 PM   #5
Samtech79
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Walk out to where ever it's parked and knock it over. If your worried about that first ding... You'll feel better about riding it and the what ifs afterwards.
Sounds like sacrilege I know... It partly is but its that first ding that really hurts.
Samtech79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #6
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,557
Ride it into the ground. So what if it is scratched and banged up as long as it runs well? Did you buy a dirt bike or a status symbol?

Radiator braces, good hand guards, a brake snake, and a shark fin will keep the really expensive bits together for longer and that is good.

I felt similarly when I first bought my te310, I was fresh out of college and it was so new and pretty. A year later it still rode great but looked like it had been tomahawked down a mountain, because it had. That bike was the last time I cared about the cosmetics on a dirt bike. This is your first exotic, not your last so live it up, you won't get the experience twice

As far as resale, you already screwed that up when you bought an Italian Husqvarna

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:47 PM   #7
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,991
Ride your fkn bike.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:24 PM   #8
exacto OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
well since you guys put it so eloquently...haha, guess i have to just pop her "scratch cherry" and move on.
exacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:36 AM   #9
dumgrunt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
ive been in a similar place. I brought a blue 954 that was immaculate, and I was quite enamored with it. I was in a similar place to you, at uni and not exactly rolling in cash.
But it got to a point where I spent more time worrying about binning it when I was riding it than actually enjoying the moment. I knew it was time to sell at that point. I had a great couple of years on it, and had racked up some kays, and only lost a 1000 bucks when it was up for rego and had bald tyres. A few months later I brought another 954, that wasn't running (battery and reg rec so easy fix) for less than half of what I sold the previous bike, and back to care free fun it was.

So i get the whole, it cost lot of money, you dont want to bang it up. If you cant wear that, sell it and buy an old xr4 or Drz400 and hit the dirt and enjoy yourself, crashing is part of learning to ride in the dirt. Or as others have offered, just sack up.
previous rides:
96 XR4, VTR250, VTR1000 FIRESTORM, 954 FIREBLADE, XR400R 2000
dumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:15 AM   #10
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtech79 View Post
Walk out to where ever it's parked and knock it over. If your worried about that first ding... You'll feel better about riding it and the what ifs afterwards.
Sounds like sacrilege I know... It partly is but its that first ding that really hurts.
What he said.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #11
NONAME13
NONAME13

Oddometer: 222
You will drop it in front of many people it always happens in public places. It's only new till you leave the dealer just ride it hard and get the basics like a skid plate and bark busters you can get creative and cover your ride in graphics or a wrap then peel it off when ready to sell. Another option is remove the stock plastic and replace with aftermarket. If you really want to have fun buy an old XR any one any year they're all wicked tough bikes and go rip it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
NONAME13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:47 AM   #12
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Laugh Just ride it...

...eventually you'll get past it, tip over, put a scratch in it then you'll really start to enjoy it. My buddy has a 2010 TE610 he bought to ride the TAT on. Been parked for awhile and he's considering selling it, wish I could buy it but you can only ride/maintain so many bikes.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #13
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
this was pretty much what i was just about to say...it's that worry that's keeping you from really enjoying it. once you get past that, you'll have a lot more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exacto View Post
well since you guys put it so eloquently...haha, guess i have to just pop her "scratch cherry" and move on.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #14
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,836
Get some armor for that beast (bash plate, barkbusters, etc) and ride it like it was meant to be ridden!

A dual sport bike being dirty and dinged up/dirty is a badge of honor, sir.
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote