Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2009, 12:01 PM   #151
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,708
You 620 Adventure owners might be interested in this photo gallery.

http://beez.smugmug.com/gallery/7341337_KBKHN

Scanned articles of when Cycle World had a 620 Adventure in it's long-term fleet and some photos of me (dork in the green jacket) and my friend Paul (dork with chest protector) on the San Bernadino Ride for Kids. I let Paul ride my RXC in a devious plan to get him hooked on dualsports. Which of course worked!!
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #152
alfredman22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
98 620 Adventure reporting for duty

VIN 8960
Attached Images

alfredman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #153
Kemosabe
Perpetual Adverturer

Oddometer: 124
Here is 8869

It was listed for sale without a title.
I had to think about it for a day or two.
Then the owner decided to sale it to a friend.
Still had the original chain sprockets and hand grips.
Kemosabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #154
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemosabe
Here is 8869
Then the owner decided to sale it to a friend.
So you didn't wind up with it?......bummer.....

Hey Beez - thanks for the link/article....very cool.....

8960 - Welcome!
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:23 AM   #155
Pokey66C23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418

I bought #8575 from Godspeed several months ago. It is sitting in my shop waiting its turn at being rebuilt. It will not be a 620. I have a low miles 640 engine waiting to be installed. The bike was raced and apparently never registered until 2000. The title lists it as a 2000.

By the way, I have been told by the po that this is the same bike written about in Cycle World posted by Beez......

Pokey66C23 screwed with this post 07-29-2009 at 07:29 AM
Pokey66C23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #156
Dillon@ZenMoto
falls down too much

Oddometer: 291
i have just recieved 1998 #8739 shes in bad shape, never garage kept, nothing a new coat of paint and new plastic cant fix, does any one happen to know the paint code for the orange tank and fairing? also does anyone have the micro fiche for the 98 620, ive tried all over and no one has it. the poor thing was missing the carb, i installed an fcr and she fired right up! hope fully ill figure out how to post some pictures on here, and show the build progress
Dillon@ZenMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #157
Donkey Hotey OP
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,292
Good luck with the paint. I had two KTM dealers argue with me that it wasn't supposed to be painted. Back then, I think they only had two models that were painted: the Adventure and the Duke. Both of them were pretty rare/unusual to go through a dealership.

As for the carb, if it was a US spec, it was an Edelbrock; no loss there. Heck, the bike's own immune system may have attacked it and self-detached it along the way.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #158
Geekventure
Ronzoni

Oddometer: 82
Eh? Lost 1998 620 EGS-E (RallyC) found his way home to California...

Hello everyone,

I am excited to finally find others that know (and own!) the EGS-E!

I think I'm one of those few "rumored" with the darker shade of orange, but I'm not sure...
My copies of its birth sale in this country say that it's a 1998 620 RallyC and my VIN# ends in ...8744

I have been the proud owner of one since I purchased mine (1,800mi) from Keith A. (of Pick-A-Part Cycles - Evergreen, CO) on October 2nd, 2003. He evidently purchased it from Jeff H. (Sacramento, CA) who bought it from "Motorcycle Performance Center" (Roseville, CA).

Right away, I ran into the VIN# verification issues that some of you have mentioned with this bike! My case seems to be a bit more extreme than anything else I've read here regarding this phenomenon!

How so? Well...let just say the majority of my original stamped VIN appears to be ground off (as if it had been a stolen bike or something) and a silver, metal sticker was placed over the top of it with a VIN number printed on it in black!

Trying to get a bike plated from another state requires a VIN verification to be checked by the DMV and the local detective would not sign off on mine because he thought the bike was stolen!

So I began to do some research of my own....I found this helpful VIN Verification guide from KTM that helped a little bit.

Unfortunately, the Cops would not budge!
All they could do was tell me that in order for me to get a new title in my name, I would have to KILL the identity of the bike and re-title it as a "build" bike, like it was some project I put together on my own!

More research calling the Colorado DMV and the California DMV (were the bike was originally imported into) turned up a VIN trail that somehow changed evidently to human error! Needless to say, it's still a mess because my current title does not have the original VIN# on it.......or does it?

Back then, I just ended up keeping it titled in Colorado since I use to live there part of the year...

Now I'm in California and I'm getting ready to go through all of this BullDong again!

I have an appointment with the CHP the day after my birthday (08-19-2009) so wish me luck!

If anyone has any info you think I might find useful, PLEASE SHARE!

Thanks!

Geekventure screwed with this post 08-08-2009 at 01:10 PM
Geekventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #159
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekventure
Hello everyone,

I am excited to finally find others that know (and own!) the EGS-E!
Congrats and welcome aboard!........I had to take my 620 to both the CA. DMV and CHP when I got back to CA. but the VIN/Stickers were easy to see/read.......hope you're able to sail smoothly through that guauntlet.....
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #160
Donkey Hotey OP
De Jo Momma

I don't know what to tell you. There is no good reason that the frame would be ground there. You could clean the area up with sandpaper. If the numbers are truly gone, you could possibly get them to be readable again with a careful acid etch on that area. The compressed metal will etch at a different rate than the surrounding metal. That'll make it readable, but you'll still have some convincing to do.

As for past paperwork, it would have to have the VIN on it. All of the insurance paperwork should have it on there. The VIN is the only thing that follows the vehicle everywhere, forever. Some states don't track engine numbers, but they all keep the VIN.

Before you can solve this, you're going to have to come up with a convincing trail of paperwork and/or proof of the VIN on that frame.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:24 AM   #161
Geekventure
Ronzoni

Question Metal Sticker

I do have all the paper work...hope it works!

So what's up with the metal sticker?
Old 08-10-2009, 02:33 AM   #162
Donkey Hotey OP
De Jo Momma

It's entirely possible that KTM had that thing as a leftover and they redid the VIN number at the factory. Why did you remove the sticker?

Also: I can't make out how much of the VIN is ground away, but that clearly looks like a 'G' in your photo. The only models with a G in them are the 1999 chassis. That might in fact, be another frame and you might just have to do what the CHP told you (retitle it as a build bike). That decal might have been applied after an accident or by some government agency in some other state. I had a Gold Wing with a replaced frame. It had a decal like that, but no VIN underneath it.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #163
Geekventure
Ronzoni

Question Sticker Drama...

The police took it off back in Indiana when they were trying to do the VIN# verification and now it wont stick back on again!

I'm wondering why the original sales receipt I have a copy of says it's a "RallyC"?

I'm wondering if the frame is from one of the other bikes at the time...?

Geekventure screwed with this post 08-10-2009 at 11:04 AM
Old 08-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #164
Donkey Hotey OP
De Jo Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekventure
I'm wondering why the original sales receipt I have a copy of says it's a "RallyC"?
Because that's what it is? That's exactly what the VIN chart you posted, says it should be. That's absolutely a US spec bike. You've got the Supertrapp mufflers which were US-only parts (USFS spark arrestor) and I doubt anyboy would have retroffited.

What is the whole VIN of the bike? I'm wondering if that's a 1999 frame that got swapped for some reason (accident).
Old 08-16-2009, 07:12 AM   #165
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
bump for recent question in the index...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote