Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #196
Geekventure
Ronzoni

Oddometer: 69
Pissed Needed: Electrical Engineering Advice!

After a long 2 days up successful upgrades I totally f'd up my buddies bike ('99 Adventure R) and need some ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING ADVICE from somebody!

So we were installing a new speedometer...everything was complete except the wire in the kit that needed to connect to the tachometer (RPM's readout).

Experimenting with the existing tachometers wiring harness, I accidentally (SHORTED SOMETHING OUT) touched the 2 positive (+) leads
(not the brown one...the other two!) on the 3 lead wiring clip that attaches to the back of the original tachometer. (see arrows in pic below)

The bike was running because we wanted to see the tachometer readout working on the new speedo/computer we were installing.

The second those two wires shorted to each other we heard an electrical "click" sound and the bike shut off like somebody flipped the kill switch...
INSTANTANEOUSLY!

Now the bike wont start...we turn it over, but no electricity is getting to the spark plug wire!

Further volt meter testing...we got a reading from the starter relay that is behind the right side-panel and is connected close the positive (+) lead of the battery.

The next test we will do is to see if there is any voltage input on the backside of the coil itself (close to radiator)...we don't know if juice is going into it (or not), however, we do know there is nothing coming out since there is no power at the end of the spark plug wire!

Anyone have a clue what it was that I fried?

Geekventure screwed with this post 01-26-2010 at 03:42 PM
Geekventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #197
alfredman22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
I'm getting set to paint my 97 Adventure and have not be able to find paint codes for the early Adventures. I do have the Dupont numbers for the 07 orange, but would like to get as close as possible to the 97 - 98 color.

Anyone done a repaint in the original color? Thanks for the help..
Just painted my 98 Adventure tank and fairing. I actually found the paint code on advrider, however i guess I didnt bookmark it. Careful there ar a few different codes depending on years, some have a "speck" in them. I brought a sidepanel with me and my painter just matched the orange. Color match looks perfect.
alfredman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #198
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredman22
Just painted my 98 Adventure tank and fairing. I actually found the paint code on advrider, however i guess I didnt bookmark it. Careful there ar a few different codes depending on years, some have a "speck" in them. I brought a sidepanel with me and my painter just matched the orange. Color match looks perfect.
Question on the painting, kind sir ........

I am getting ready to paint my 620adv as well, to ummmm, basically match my 990 - which is white. So I'm going to be getting the rear and side plastics, and front fender, from a 620 rxc (IIRC) that are already white, and then just paint the tank and mask.

What's the best way to go about painting plastic, I'm more use to metal ..... and I'm by no means a pro when it comes to that medium either.

Or, my second option, is to go with a blue tank and blue mask, though I would prefer the bike to be all white.

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #199
Geekventure
Ronzoni

Painting...

You should always "test cut" or shall we say "test spray" in this case...so, if you have the time, do everything below and a scrap piece of the same material for practice first...then do the real deal for perfection!
  1. Start with a good automotive paint...like PPG.
  2. Prep surface by sanding (220-320 grit).
  3. Clean surface with a good wax-n-grease remover
    • Clean hands from here on out!
  4. Mask anything you want with a good automotive vinyl.
    • Blue stuff by 3M.
  5. Prime with good automotive primer that's compatible with your automotive paint (compatibility is key!)
    • Clean your gun.
    • Allow to dry overnight!
  6. Wet sand primed surface with a good wet/dry 600 grit paper being careful not to sand threw the primer coat.
  7. Paint 2 coats of your white...careful of runs!
    • Allow 15 minutes between coats.
  8. Wait another 15 minutes (good chance to clean your gun) and then apply the automotive clear coat (being extra careful of runs again) and waiting a bit longer between coats (like 20 minutes).
    • The more coats of clear you put on the more durable it will be to chips-n-such.
  9. Now...clean your gun again then...
  10. Carefully remove any masking at this time.
Allow to dry 24hrs to touch...a week in the sun for max durability!

Geekventure screwed with this post 01-30-2010 at 11:33 AM
Geekventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:22 PM   #200
G-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekventure
You should always "test cut" or shall we say "test spray" in this case...so, if you have the time, do everything below and a scrap piece of the same material for practice first...then do the real deal for perfection!
  1. Start with a good automotive paint...like PPG.
  2. Prep surface by sanding (220-320 grit).
  3. Clean surface with a good wax-n-grease remover
    • Clean hands from here on out!
  4. Mask anything you want with a good automotive vinyl.
    • Blue stuff by 3M.
  5. Prime with good automotive primer that's compatible with your automotive paint (compatibility is key!)
    • Clean your gun.
    • Allow to dry overnight!
  6. Wet sand primed surface with a good wet/dry 600 grit paper being careful not to sand threw the primer coat.
  7. Paint 2 coats of your white...careful of runs!
    • Allow 15 minutes between coats.
  8. Wait another 15 minutes (good chance to clean your gun) and then apply the automotive clear coat (being extra careful of runs again) and waiting a bit longer between coats (like 20 minutes).
    • The more coats of clear you put on the more durable it will be to chips-n-such.
  9. Now...clean your gun again then...
  10. Carefully remove any masking at this time.
Allow to dry 24hrs to touch...a week in the sun for max durability!
Rock ..... Sweet!

Thanks a bunch ......

Once I get going on the project I will be posting progress pics .....

G.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #201
Hoaky
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemosabe
Here is 8869

It was listed for sale without a title.
I had to think about it for a day or two.
Then the owner decided to sale it to a friend.
Still had the original chain sprockets and hand grips.
Hey this is the Egs that I bought from a friend of mine love the bike but it has had some troubles that ive had to work out.
Hoaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 PM   #202
DesignerRider
Adventures Since 1984

Oddometer: 100
I was finally curious enough to look at my VIN number. It appears I have 8789. My Uncle purchased it new from a dealer in 1997 and then sold it to me about 2 years ago. It's been 2 very fun years!

70' Yamaha DT175 Enduro
DesignerRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:58 PM   #203
Geekventure
Ronzoni

Eek

I love the way your bike looks...and to think, it's a '97!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #204
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekventure
I love the way your bike looks...and to think, it's a '97!

I have almost the exact bike above, but want to get an aftermarket exhaust setup so that I don't A)mess up the original and B) perhaps get a little better performance. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go to get something and an idea of the cost?
Thanks!
P.S. I love my ride!!!
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #205
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon
I have almost the exact bike above, but want to get an aftermarket exhaust setup so that I don't A)mess up the original and B) perhaps get a little better performance. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go to get something and an idea of the cost?
Thanks!
P.S. I love my ride!!!
Go sick.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34615

You'll note that this thread started in 2004 so some of the exhaust options may no longer be available.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #206
Geekventure
Ronzoni

ktmworld.com

Quote:
Thanks!
P.S. I love my ride!!!
Old 04-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #207
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Thanks!
P.S. I love my ride!!!
Nobody has an after market exhaust for the low pipe model anymore ... I looked pretty extensively when I got mine 2 year ago.. Mine spent time outside with the previous owner outside - so the supertrapps are pitted and ugly..

Their are 3 common mods that I have seen...

The first is that it's not hard to pull both canisters and replace them with aftermarket ones - like the ones on the LC4 Exhaust link but getting two slipons adds to the price..

The 2nd is that many chuck the left hand side pipe.. They cut the U mid pipe (#4 in the fiche from the last post) and block off the left hand side and remove it put on a slipon that you can find from the LC4 exhaust to reduce the overall weight (often time with a slight bend upwards as in the pic of the one you like).. If you don't want to cut one up - you might be able to find a OEm header and use a straight single mid section and/or get pipe bender to make you one and mate it up aftermarket exhaust..

The Last is that folks will swap out the rear subframe and put in a later model LC4 one - and will run a highmount more stanard LC4 both of which you can can be found with some regularity on places like Ebay.. I can't remember if it's here in this thread anywhere - but Cycle World had a EGS-E as a long term bike and detailed out the swap.. The high mount style that is currently used on current LC4 - was used on earlier models and easy to find... I am not certain as to why the EGS-E has a re-inforced subframe.. I have been told it was the base platform for the Dakar Rally of that year and needed to be reenforced to handle rear tanks - it makes sense but haven't seen anything definitive... This is the most straighforward way as everything will bolt up...

The first one is probably the cheapest - but you may have to fabricate some additional spacers to mount em properly, but it's really not hard.. I wouldn't hold out hope of finding a good used one in good shape - the bikes are rare so they are hard to find, but they pop up if you are quick.. I got lucky and found a non supertrapp OEM dual setup.. However, it's HEAVY.. Im going to use it to get it running and inspected, but once I find a nice set of dual aftermarket cans I am pulling the OEM ones ...

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!

hondahawkrider screwed with this post 04-21-2010 at 02:54 PM
hondahawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #208
wrk2surf
BITD/Rallye

Oddometer: 5,964
This guy will make a pipe for you and he has made some dakar bike pipes he also makes the silencer.. My next purchase

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/thr...-alley-exhaust

thunder alley
hanford ca
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #209
G-Funk

Cry Well ........

The 620adv is gone ......

Sold to a friend who is not an inmate .....

It's replacement is a 2000 640adv-r

I'm still in the family, right ???????

Right ??????? .......

G.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #210
jonnyw
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 585
ATL sighting

I used to live in the Alanta area a few years back. One day while I was getting some work done on my 01 1150GS at Blue Moon Cycles I saw it! There it was just sitting there on the side of the building. I ahd never seen one with a low mount exhaust system. I had to inquire and found out it was one of the mechanics bikes that rode almost daily. I talk to the owner he said it came that way. It was the coolest bike I had ever seen. Still trying to get one to this day. Anybody in ATL know of this bike? I know Blue Moon is still open.
jonnyw is offline   Reply With Quote