Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #61
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
I'm not certain, I know they were white, mint green & red for a while. And then maybe in the mid 90's they changed to white with Purple (& maybe some yellow) but I think the bodwork was all white with the seat & graphics being purple. I think before they went with their current orange they had a sort of butterscotch looking orange in maybe 96 or so. I think the butterscotch orange still used purple graphics too.

I remember this bike having purple plastic, all of it. I have not seen an all purple KTM since.
I am pretty certain the original tanks used in the Dakar and such were purple... I seriously doubt anyone would go to the trouble to paint one THAT color of purple - less they liked the Barney Jokes..

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
hondahawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #62
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarky
Great work with this post, very interesting to see the history....they really haven't changed at all really

I am interested to know what the original screens are like to ride with, does the flicked out section at the top of the screen make a big difference with buffeting etc?

Where can they be purchased? As there is a 04 for sale over here with a very similar looking screen....great bike btw, I would really like to know who built it originally, has twin rear tanks (not shown in pic) & rally style bash plate with tool box & has been painted in a pretty cool livery.

Is this the bike you are looking at ??? or just one you used as an example.... I know I have seen this bike posted elsewhere on the site - probably looking at info on rear tanks....
Rear tanks usually mean it's a Rallye and a not a Adventure - or someone has retrofitted rear tanks usually from the 99 model (parts are still available online - but it's approx $400 a tank x2).. It's what I am going to do once my 97 is back together and is in good shape - then I will shell out the funds, unless I find a cheaper option

Old 01-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #63
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
I remember this bike having purple plastic, all of it. I have not seen an all purple KTM since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondahawkrider
I am pretty certain the original tanks used in the Dakar and such were purple... I seriously doubt anyone would go to the trouble to paint one THAT color of purple - less they liked the Barney Jokes..
1995 Dakar rally bike according to http://www.rallye-tenere.net!

- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #64
Pezz_gs
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,719
Name:  UelisKTM.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  127.2 KB

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:22 PM   #65
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz_gs
LOL - looks like a standard lc4 with 27l tank....I am sure there were many differences between in the rxc of the day, but it's still cool to me - but what an FUGLY shade of purple (the barney mobile)..

Hmmm.. Makes me wonder why the 97 ADV had low pipes... You can see from the rally tenere pics that it's got the high pipe in back AND the hecktank that fit over the rear tail... I thought the 97 got the low pipes due to the beefier subframe for number plate rear tanks... It makes no sense to me to make a low pipe model (low pipes have issues) - if they could have used the hecktank to fit over em.... ? Anyone know a bit more....

Old 01-29-2008, 03:31 PM   #66
Donkey Hotey OP
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,817
Man, I gotta' get caught up on this thread. I just remembered that Godspeed PMd me when he was coming through LA to pick those bikes up.

The Heck tanks shown on the 95 Dakar bike carried the weight too high. The later Rallye tanks (1997-2000) wrap in and around the subframe. They look more like saddlebags and lowered the CG.

The dual exhaust on the 1996-1998 Adventure was mostly a styling exercise. It looks like the Rallye and that's all that mattered. It used the Rallye head and mid pipes but had its own Y-tube and dual mufflers. Changing it to a Rallye style exhaust would be nothing more than changing the muffler.

Yes, it's vulnerable but it's fookin' cool.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #67
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey
Man, I gotta' get caught up on this thread. I just remembered that Godspeed PMd me when he was coming through LA to pick those bikes up.

The Heck tanks shown on the 95 Dakar bike carried the weight too high. The later Rallye tanks (1997-2000) wrap in and around the subframe. They look more like saddlebags and lowered the CG.

The dual exhaust on the 1996-1998 Adventure was mostly a styling exercise. It looks like the Rallye and that's all that mattered. It used the Rallye head and mid pipes but had its own Y-tube and dual mufflers. Changing it to a Rallye style exhaust would be nothing more than changing the muffler.

Yes, it's vulnerable but it's fookin' cool.
Yeah it's fooking cool - I have the 97 low pipe model (see sig).. However, the rallye exhausts are not available from a number of online sources - so I am pulling the duals off and running just one pipe down the rhs and will bend it up so it will just clear the pelican hard bags..

If the rebuild goes well - and it's all good - once it's back on the road I will do some rear tanks. The ones from the 99 are available - but their are diffrerence in the subframes on the rallye and the 620 low pipe model. Thus, if I could find the Hecktanks I would grab em in heartbeat.. I got the 620Adv to slab/ride it to where the group would go offroad, I would use the rear reserve 1st on the slab, then use the reg tank for offroad... Some starting places are in the middle of nowhere - etc...

Old 01-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #68
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 562
When people are talking about the history of LC4 Adventure, I always wonder why it’s ancestor (89-91’) LC4 600 Incas is never mentioned. Have you ever seen it on the road? I haven't.

Specifications according to Motorrad Katalog 1990
Displacement: 553cc
Bore/stroke: 95/78 mm
Power: 45PS@7000 rpm
Torque: 53Nm@5500 rpm
Suspension travel 240/300 mm
Weight: 140 kg
Wheelbase: 1500 mm
Kick start only.

Image Source: http://www.ktmimages.com/
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #69
clarky
05' 640 Adv

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondahawkrider
Is this the bike you are looking at ??? or just one you used as an example.... I know I have seen this bike posted elsewhere on the site - probably looking at info on rear tanks....
Rear tanks usually mean it's a Rallye and a not a Adventure - or someone has retrofitted rear tanks usually from the 99 model (parts are still available online - but it's approx $400 a tank x2).. It's what I am going to do once my 97 is back together and is in good shape - then I will shell out the funds, unless I find a cheaper option
Jason, yeah it is a bike that I have been looking at, although it is 1600km from me, so it makes it a little difficult to go and have a look at it!!

It is definately an 04 Adventure, and I'm not sure of the details of the tanks.....I think they are actually sheet metal, rather than plastic.

What I am interested in is the screen, as it is def not your standard 04 screen. Can the older style screen be purchased and do they provide increased protection from buffeting?

cheers
Old 01-29-2008, 04:48 PM   #70
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarky
Jason, yeah it is a bike that I have been looking at, although it is 1600km from me, so it makes it a little difficult to go and have a look at it!!

It is definately an 04 Adventure, and I'm not sure of the details of the tanks.....I think they are actually sheet metal, rather than plastic.

What I am interested in is the screen, as it is def not your standard 04 screen. Can the older style screen be purchased and do they provide increased protection from buffeting?

cheers
I honestly dont know about the screen - I have only ridden with mine (97) and didn't have any problems.. I know that Munn Racing via KTMTAlk membership has allot of parts available.. However, you would have to buy the two seperate pieces... Older style has the lower fairing and at clear upper piece/fairing - I think the new models one is all one piece... For the $$ - I would probably get a windscreen spoiler similiar to one that is on my 990 (http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...5AE6IKl374AD93) instead.. It's less $$ overall...

Old 02-09-2008, 10:04 PM   #71
Shahrizan
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Love the 620!!!

Hi ya'll..

Im a newbie in ADVrider forum.. great site!!

also, im new in DP bikes.. fell in love with DP since i watched Long way round and race to dakar..

hence, i'm selling my RC51 for KTM 620 adventure '98 soon.. hehehe..

i've been told there is only 1 (or 2) unit of 620 adventure in Malaysia.. guess it's super rare, huh?? so i need this thread hoping we can share experiences with our 620..

Cherio!
Shahrizan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:07 PM   #72
Shahrizan
n00b

Hello Guys..

ive been Googling for dry weight and bhp the 620 Adventure.. but i cant get any..

may i know the details, guys??
Old 02-10-2008, 10:43 PM   #73
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrizan
Hello Guys..

ive been Googling for dry weight and bhp the 620 Adventure.. but i cant get any..

may i know the details, guys??
Welcome Shahrizan.

According to the July 1998 issue of Cycle World:

Weight without fuel: 360 pounds (manual says 166 kg/366 pounds)
Weight with full tank 404 pounds

bhp 43.5 @ 7300 rpm
torque 35.8 @ 5000 rpm

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions I would be happy to look them up for you. The previous owner had a little collection of articles, magazines, and manuals. And the original briefcase too.

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:06 AM   #74
Shahrizan
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODSPEED
Welcome Shahrizan.

According to the July 1998 issue of Cycle World:

Weight without fuel: 360 pounds (manual says 166 kg/366 pounds)
Weight with full tank 404 pounds

bhp 43.5 @ 7300 rpm
torque 35.8 @ 5000 rpm

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions I would be happy to look them up for you. The previous owner had a little collection of articles, magazines, and manuals. And the original briefcase too.
Cheers pal!
Old 02-20-2008, 11:35 PM   #75
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

I am curious to know the difference between the 620 Advnture low mounted exhausts: the supertrapp ones that have disks in the end vs.the standard exhaust canister style exhaust with outlet stubs (as shown by the 1st pic in this thread). As stated in the first post: "World market bikes continued with dual exhaust with outlet stubs. To meet spark arrestor requirements, US Market got USFS stamped, twin Supertrapp mufflers."

Mine has the supertrapp- but they are a little ratty (PO stored the bike outside). I was originally looking at fabricating something to replace this system as I go thru stream crossings on allot of my rides. I thought of just bending the supertrapps up at 45 degrees but I decided against it. My main reason being that its disk system pushes out heat and pressure around the endcap of the exhuast, rather than straight back like a standard exhaust, and I didn't want it to cook anything that might be in side bags and/or reserve tank.

Anyway, thanks to the Flea Market here on ADV, I just picked up a clean looking OEM full system with the more standard looking outlet stubs. So I was wondering how much of a difference there are between the two systems if anyone knows? I am hoping it won't impact performance much (I have the fcr carb in it), but I hope it 's quietier as this will be my offroad bike. I am really psyched about it, as it comes in pieces. It looks easy enough to add a pipe on each side withs a bend before the canister to make a Rallye-ish looking echaust..

Anyone know the difference between the two...

Thanks In Advance