ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #121
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure
 
Crawdaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ramona, CA.
Oddometer: 2,210
Pissed 620 EGS-E Gas Tank Removal - What a bitch

Is there a trick to getting the gas tanks off these bikes? I've removed the nut at the rear of the tank and the bolt on the bushing on the right side of the tank that's visible through the KTooM vents......removed all fuel lines......I don't see any other connections....should be able to pivit it from the rear and pull it off the front frame supports.....but can't seem to break the tank loose......and the manuals I have aren't much help......am I still missing a connection somewhere or is there certain technique I need to employ to pull this monster tank off the bike???.....or do I just man up and hit the gym to gain some strength?!
__________________
Chris Crawford (Crawford + 4 kids = Crawdaddy )
http://www.CrawdadOffRoadEvents.com
http://www.DualSportMoto.com
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #122
GJohnson
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GJohnson's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Pinewood Springs Co,
Oddometer: 100
Since I used to own that bike I know the trick. As I remember that tank was very tight fitting. You have to push it forwards then pull it up all in one forceful movement. Good luck
GJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:17 PM   #123
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure
 
Crawdaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ramona, CA.
Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJohnson
Since I used to own that bike I know the trick. As I remember that tank was very tight fitting. You have to push it forwards then pull it up all in one forceful movement. Good luck
Sounds like I DO need to hit the gym Thanks, I'll back out and go at it again....
__________________
Chris Crawford (Crawford + 4 kids = Crawdaddy )
http://www.CrawdadOffRoadEvents.com
http://www.DualSportMoto.com
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #124
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian
 
hondahawkrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
Sounds like I DO need to hit the gym Thanks, I'll back out and go at it again....
you gotta rock it back and forth... IIRC - there are two plastic U shaped prongs that fit real tightly over some rubber grommets.. It just takes some ass... Mine is off my bike at the moment - if you want a pic I can take a shot if you wish
__________________
-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
hondahawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:56 PM   #125
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure
 
Crawdaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ramona, CA.
Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondahawkrider
you gotta rock it back and forth... IIRC - there are two plastic U shaped prongs that fit real tightly over some rubber grommets.. It just takes some ass... Mine is off my bike at the moment - if you want a pic I can take a shot if you wish
Got it done.....just needed to man up and muscle it.....had to replace brake switch.......route GPS hardwire under tank.....all done.....but still need to go back in and remove it again to replace Decomp cable and check valves....
__________________
Chris Crawford (Crawford + 4 kids = Crawdaddy )
http://www.CrawdadOffRoadEvents.com
http://www.DualSportMoto.com
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:36 PM   #126
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good
 
GODSPEED's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
Got it done.....just needed to man up and muscle it.....had to replace brake switch.......route GPS hardwire under tank.....all done.....but still need to go back in and remove it again to replace Decomp cable and check valves....

Use some silicone spray on the rubber discs, much easier.
__________________
Godspeed

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.




http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:25 PM   #127
meat popsicle
Ignostic
 
meat popsicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Circumlocution Office of Little Dorrit
Oddometer: 14,160
Question KTM LC4 LSE Military

Not sure if this is one of your thread's bikes, but here:



and a link:
http://www.postcardsfromplanetearth....ss/?page_id=11

I didn't know they made a military version.
__________________
Kronreif Trunkenpolz Mattighofen LC4 640

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:01 AM   #128
SkyPup
n00b
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Oddometer: 2
I have an all orange 1997 KTM 620 Adventure with the Dell 'Orto 400mm round slide that I imported into the USA from London, England.

I picked it up in Harsfield Airport in Atlanta in pieces and put them together.

Got it from a chap by the name of John Deacon who was the KTM UK P-D factory driver for a number of years.

It's still sitting in my barn in great shape, I'll take some photos of it and post them!
SkyPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #129
Jan from Finland
Registered
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
I didn't know they made a military version.
The Finnish Army has been using them since 2000.








__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are ever attacked by lion, your best defense is to shove your arm down
their throat, grabbing the back of their tongue and hope help arrives quickly.
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jan from Finland screwed with this post 11-07-2008 at 10:09 AM
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #130
SkyPup
n00b
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPup
I have an all orange 1997 KTM 620 Adventure with the Dell 'Orto 400mm round slide that I imported into the USA from London, England.

I picked it up in Harsfield Airport in Atlanta in pieces and put them together.

Got it from a chap by the name of John Deacon who was the KTM UK P-D factory driver for a number of years.

It's still sitting in my barn in great shape, I'll take some photos of it and post them!




Still runs like a bat out of hell......
SkyPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #131
ChrisC
Molon Labe
 
ChrisC's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Prescott, Arizona USA Earth
Oddometer: 6,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPup
I have an all orange 1997 KTM 620 Adventure with the Dell 'Orto 400mm round slide that I imported into the USA from London, England
Holy sheisse! That's some big fuckin' carburetor
__________________
Chris
'03 KTM Adventure 640
'43 BSA M20WD
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:42 AM   #132
SkyPup
n00b
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Oddometer: 2
You got me on that one!
SkyPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #133
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good
 
GODSPEED's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 2,076
For those of you that are following the history thread, I have a 98 project bike for sale in the Flea Market. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417374
__________________
Godspeed

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.




http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:31 AM   #134
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian
 
hondahawkrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by GODSPEED
For those of you that are following the history thread, I have a 98 project bike for sale in the Flea Market. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417374

no no no.. you want to part it our so we can save ours....
__________________
-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
hondahawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:01 PM   #135
meat popsicle
Ignostic
 
meat popsicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Circumlocution Office of Little Dorrit
Oddometer: 14,160
4 bikes! I don't feel your pain Godspeedy.
__________________
Kronreif Trunkenpolz Mattighofen LC4 640

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014