Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2006, 02:19 PM   #31
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Yeah... but does the KLR cover provide the clamp load for the cam bearings and support the rockers and rocker shafts?
Thats the deal with a LC4, the cover isn't just a cover, it's a structural part of the cylinder head.
Thats why they don't use a gasket... metal to metal provides a very specific clamp load on the cam bearings where a rubber gasket sandwiched in between would be variable depending on the torque value used.
Unless there was a positive stop to set the cover at a specific height from the head... that would work pretty well because you'd have your desired clamp on the gasket and a set clamp load on the cam bearings.

C
yeah. its like they havent thought about this. what we have is probably the best that can be done with the dimensions of the motor and all.

this is sure good information to know. thanks again.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:19 PM   #32
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Yep.... all 67 of us.

Scott...

It's easier to give info out for free than to worry about making a few bucks on it.
Besides, it ain't rocket science, just info for folks that like to have a little supplemental information before they tackle a job.
That and once you start charging for information, someone will figure out how to give it out for free. Look at how much trouble KTM has to go thru to keep their intellectual property off the net… they must have to hand out “Cease and Desist” orders at the rate of two or three every month.

I've been a mech for so long that much of this stuff is automatic, but even someone with a good mechanical aptitude likes to have some reassurance that they aren't doing something overtly stupid.

C
Old 01-02-2006, 02:23 PM   #33
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castleman
The original sealant lasted over 25,000 miles and never leaked a drop.
Consider yourself a lucky ducky. Thats at least twice as long as most other unlucky duckies.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #34
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Oddometer: 6,318
Quote:
Look at how much trouble KTM has to go thru to keep their intellectual property off the net… they must have to hand out “Cease and Desist” orders at the rate of two or three every month.
So sayeth Creeper, Master purveyor of the Tech Info hot-link....
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #35
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
So sayeth Creeper, Master purveyor of the Tech Info hot-link....
Yeah... I got booted off of KTMtalk by the site owner for providing links to service and owners manuals hosted on a server in England.

He got served a C&D by KTM... and was kinda pissed at me for awhile. Can't say as I blame him... much.

C
Old 01-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #36
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermoose
Excellent write-up

As for the sealent - did you look into using hylomar?
Yea, about the Hylomar. It don't work for long. I got about 200 miles then it was leaking.

Nate
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:35 PM   #37
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castleman
I spent 2 hours looking for the missing 2nd locating dowel, and of course, never found it since it was never there.

I was thinking of using regular Permatex the next time I attempted to reseal the rocker box, I was thinking it would be a little more forgiving as the two parts (the head and rocker box) would seem to move a lot during normal engine operation. Since it didn't work for you, I won't try it.

The original sealant lasted over 25,000 miles and never leaked a drop. I think my motor has more blow bye than most motors based on my mileage. My motor is starting to seep oil from the timing window and shift shaft seal, these are issues I will have to address in the near future. I would really like to see how many miles I can get out of this thing without cracking it open.

Keep up the good work Creeper! I'll shut up now!

The timing window is easy to fix. It takes about 10 minutes and $10 for the part.

Nate
Old 01-02-2006, 02:42 PM   #38
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Quote:
Yeah... I got booted off of KTMtalk by the site owner for providing links to service and owners manuals hosted on a server in England.

He got served a C&D by KTM... and was kinda pissed at me for awhile. Can't say as I blame him... much.

C
Are you still persona non grata over there, or have you received dispensation...?
Old 01-02-2006, 03:06 PM   #39
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
Are you still persona non grata over there, or have you received dispensation...?
Yeah... I got let back in after Pat realized that athough I knew KTM would go after the host sooner than later, I had no idea they would go after KTMtalk just because I posted some links.
Had I known that, I never would have posted the links in the first place. I deleted the links here on ADV so they wouldn't have an excuse to go after Baldwana.

C
Old 01-02-2006, 03:26 PM   #40
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Quote:
Yeah... I got let back in after Pat realized that athough I knew KTM would go after the host sooner than later, I had no idea they would go after KTMtalk just because I posted some links.
Had I known that, I never would have posted the links in the first place. I deleted the links here on ADV so they wouldn't have an excuse to go after Baldwana.

C
I was amazed how long those links actually stayed viable. Locked away in me .pdf folder, they is....
Old 01-02-2006, 03:36 PM   #41
creeper OP
Still alive...

Quote:
I was amazed how long those links actually stayed viable. Locked away in me .pdf folder, they is....
When I first posted the links, the host server went nuts and the owner shut it down, then he opened it back up a day or so later. He's a nice enough guy... hope he didn't get the shit thrown at him to hard.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:42 PM   #42
mars
Starbucks anyone?

they certainly dont base their bottom line on the sales of manuals. sounds kind of extreme to me. i guess their corporate lawyers need something to do.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:47 PM   #43
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars
they certainly dont base their bottom line on the sales of manuals. sounds kind of extreme to me. i guess their corporate lawyers need something to do.
they just want their lawyers to work off their retainers.

Nate
Old 01-02-2006, 05:00 PM   #44
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmnate
they just want their lawyers to work off their retainers.

Nate
i guess keeping the lawyers happy is much more important that those pesky customers.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:04 PM   #45
creeper OP
Still alive...

I can see it from both sides...

Us: free shit!

Them: intellectual property... no $, no read.