Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,558
Maxxis Deserts (yet another tire thread)

Sorry another tire thread Did some searching, found a few interesting bits'n'bobs but nothing super informative. Couldn't find much in the LC4 index.

Bike is a 2004 KTM 625SXC. Have two sets of wheels. One dirt and the other dual-sport. Both 21" front 18" rear. Dirt are Excel rims. Dual sport are DIDs with a cush rear.

Have Maxxis Desert ITs mounted on the dirt rims. Have Saharas (free; as previous owner on KTMTalk didn't like them) on the dual-sport rims. The Maxxis Deserts were on the bike when I got it but I can't recall how worn they were (stupid of me), maybe 40% worn. They are now at about 85% worn on the rear and 60% on the front.

Pondering what to replace them with. I actually like them offroad and they aren't bad at all on the pavement, predictable. I'm curious if anyone has any experiences with the Maxxis Desert IT (note the underline , it is deliberate) versus other knobbies. Obviously everything is a compramise with tires and of course there are other choices in a DOT legal such as the MT21 or D606. Wish I had a better idea on #miles on the ITs at this point but I don't.

Not looking for the final answer, just a starting point to start my own decision process. I know I hate the Kenda 270. Also, not looking for something like a TKC, good tire, gonna try them next but on the dual-sport wheels.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
WaterWheel
Multi Talentless

Oddometer: 18,422
Amsoil front, Rotella T rear.

Whoops, I got my redundant threads mixed up.

Sorry, I have no experience w/ the IT's, I'll shut up.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
I liked my Maxxis ITs. The desert version is heavier and would handle the street better than the standard version. I also liked MT21s offroad except for when it gets muddy. Look at mud with most DOT knobs and they lie over an play dead. Tires are like underwear, most people have them and they are changed often. In other words, you need to find what works good for you and that will take trial and error.

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
kenaroo
I am because i ride

Oddometer: 828
I have a few tire combinations that I like for desert/DS riding..(in west texas it's all in the same)..

The Desert ITs work very well out here. It does have a tendancy to chunk the rear while at high speed on pavement. More so with the smaller 120/90 size less with the bigger 120/100.

best thing is that there is no marking on the tire that states "for off road use only" and most inspector never even notice.

My current set up:
I really enjoy how my bike feels with the Desert IT up front and dunlop 606 130/100 18 (harder to find) in rear.

front tire works good to excellent in all types of terrain
rear tire doesn't do anything funny and the 130 wears very well, doesn't chunk at speed and has tracktion even at 20% knobs.

Currently:
1500 miles on front: condition is good but knobs are rounded and I'm going to replace with same
1000 miles on rear: 1/4" knobs remain.. no chunks, knobs rounded and needs replacement. replace with same or might try a Maxxis 6006 ds.

this is my thoughts other tires.

Pirelli MT 21: sketchy on pavement, front grip unpredictable and rear wears quickly on pavemtent. good in loam and ok in sand.

Dunlop 606 front. good grip on concrete, crappy in sand and fair on hard dirt. wears well.

There are some other tires out that I'd like to try

IRC== BR99

what does your garage look like
http://www.garage-interiors.com

kenaroo screwed with this post 07-12-2007 at 12:50 PM
kenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #5
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,115
I really liked the IT rear in sand, rocks, mud. It walks out badly on pavement, but was predictable. The carcass is stiff, and it is such a PIA to change for fixing flats that I'll look elsewhere for a new knobbie.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
I really liked the IT rear in sand, rocks, mud. It walks out badly on pavement, but was predictable. The carcass is stiff, and it is such a PIA to change for fixing flats that I'll look elsewhere for a new knobbie.
Yeah, it is stiff. I noticed that when I changed them onto a new set of rims, found it harder to dismount actually. Mounting was fairly easy as it's all technique.

I didn't find they walked about badly on pavement, quite liked them actually.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #7
halfcab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
I have no proubublem with the (none Desert) Maxxis IT, it the tire you will see on the rear of my dual sport rims for my 450 EXC. I have ridden the Maxxis IT everywhere, hooks up 10 times better and last as long if not longer then a D606.

The harder Desert IT might be the right tire for the weight of the LC4..if they make it wider then a 120.

But what do I know...you will never find more then 12 psi of air in my rear knobbie tires are more then 14 psi in the front.
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #8
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,356
i just recently switched over to the maxxis dez IT on my wr450f from my usual s12. i really like them so far. i have probably 8 rides on it at this point and it is just now starting to show some wear. by this time with the s12 i would be thinking about a new tire. i luved the s12 for its ability in the sand but ever since they moved production to indonesia from spain the quality and life expectancy has just gone to shit. i got sick of paying $65 every month and a half for a new tire. the maxxis seems to do just as well in the sand but is a lot better in all the rocks as well. one thing i have noticed with them is they have a tendency to be a little squirmy when you first start out. i think it takes the rubber compound a bit to warm up and start sticking. after a few miles though they are doing great. i personally think these are going to be my new tire from here on out. i still have a s12 on the front but will probably replace that with the maxxis SI when its time.

laters,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:27 PM   #9
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfcab
I have no proubublem with the (none Desert) Maxxis IT, it the tire you will see on the rear of my dual sport rims for my 450 EXC. I have ridden the Maxxis IT everywhere, hooks up 10 times better and last as long if not longer then a D606.

The harder Desert IT might be the right tire for the weight of the LC4..if they make it wider then a 120.

But what do I know...you will never find more then 12 psi of air in my rear knobbie tires are more then 14 psi in the front.

Are there no rocks in Dogpatch??? I've had pinch flats riding the desert in West Texas/Mexico running Desert IT's w/18 psi front & rear...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:39 PM   #10
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfcab

Doh. I thought I was running the Desert IT but I'm just running the regular Maxxcross.

front: maxxcross SI 80/100-21 51M
rear: maxxcross IT 120/100-18 68M

So the Desert IT is even stiffer sidewall, yeah, I can see that being a real bee-atch to change with irons.

Down to 1/4" on the front center and 1/8"-1/4" on the rear center tread so I probably need to make up my freakin mind ;-)
Old 07-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #11
halfcab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY
Are there no rocks in Dogpatch??? I've had pinch flats riding the desert in West Texas/Mexico running Desert IT's w/18 psi front & rear...
Dogpatch no, but the mountain of N.C. where I Dual Sport ride most is nothing but rocks..sharp pointed rock..some are like a 2x12 are 6x8 sticking out of the ground and you aim for the spot that might do the less damage if you can spot it quick. Every time I return home I expect to find my front rim bent. A ultra heavy duty tube and baby power works for me.

Question...which is faster to bust/pop, a balloon full of air are one with only half the air?
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #12
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,621
Anyone done a comparison of the IT to the Maxxis Surcross ST? A guy I ride with sometimes has gone to these, but I haven't gotten a chance to try them out yet. He has run the IT here in the desert, but got used to the ST on forest trials, and now uses them everywhere. Only input I've heard on them.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote