Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpa
Got any pictures?

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...6/Default.aspx
Old 01-22-2006, 07:01 AM   #47
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Good idea. Beats trying to get Mrs Surly out in the cold garage or pumping the lever me-self a few hundred times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTARD
Almost there.

I use a large disposable syringe for the start of the bleedin duties. Go to your local drugstore/chemist and ask for a large (100ml) syringe, wear ya pajamas. If they ask ya what it's for tell them it's for a home enema kit, they seem to like that. Place some tube on the end then place the other end of the tube on the bleed nipple. Remove the master cylinder cover and make sure it's full. Pull the plunger back then release the bleed nipple, tighten the nipple back up. You should soon see if there's air in the system. Keep doing that until no more air comes out then bleed as normal. You will need to remove the syringe between purges to depress the plunger. Make sure you keep topping up the master cylinder.

I think you have to enlarge the hole on the side of the protector to get the third bolt in.

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:10 PM   #48
sherpa OP
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly
its a Zuki yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTARD

Thanks guys....

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:29 PM   #49
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
Good idea. Beats trying to get Mrs Surly out in the cold garage or pumping the lever me-self a few hundred times!
This might sound silly, but it worked for me on my old bikes. Can't do it on the KTM cause I installed the one-way valves Might remove them...

I just take a long piece of plastic tubing and run it from the bleed port up high on the bike. Then I can pump the brake for myself and while some fluid comes I can pump the bubbles come out without the open/close/open/close routine.

Oh yeah, if you haven't heard - pump slowly! Fast pumping makes more bubbles. If this is all common knowledge, then it wasn't posted for you.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:00 PM   #50
Surly
surly adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
This might sound silly, but it worked for me on my old bikes. Can't do it on the KTM cause I installed the one-way valves Might remove them...

I just take a long piece of plastic tubing and run it from the bleed port up high on the bike. Then I can pump the brake for myself and while some fluid comes I can pump the bubbles come out without the open/close/open/close routine.

Oh yeah, if you haven't heard - pump slowly! Fast pumping makes more bubbles. If this is all common knowledge, then it wasn't posted for you.
Good advice Meatstick. Thanks

I enjoyed having everyone behind the counter look for a syringe big enough and I was very patient because I liked annoying th asshole standing right behind me (couldnt read the sign aboot patient privacy I guess). They didnt flinch when I said I was going to put it up my ass but did recomend a vet!

Where is Surly?
Old 01-25-2006, 03:09 AM   #51
BSTARD
Mmmmm...shiny

Oddometer: 272
Hard to faze the folks behind the counter, they must hear all manner of weird and crazy shit.

The first part of the bleedin procedure using the home enema stuff is only used to get the majority of the air from the system. To complete the bleed process I run some tube from the bleed nipple to an empty beer bottle (see pic) as there always seems to be plenty of empty bottles layin around me shed and place a spanner on the nipple.

I stand in front of the bike and use my thumb to pump the lever. Pump the lever about 5 or six times and on the last pump hold the lever against the bar, release the nipple then retighten. Continue doing this and eventually you will feel some resistance from the lever. Keep checking your fluid level. Once you have a brake action that feels normal check for leaks and take the bike for a slow ride and work your front brake. I generally do the "pump and bleed" step one more time after the test ride to remove any trapped air and check for leaks.

Happy pumpin

Old 03-19-2006, 06:54 AM   #52
Surly
surly adventurer

Lever feel??

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadinSouth
How's the front brake power now? You notice much change? BTW, nice work she looks good.
Well the lever felt like wood. I did not like it at all.

I think it might be a little better now but when I squeeze the lever on a new RFS on the floor it feels sooo good.

Here are my assumptions (which could be way off base)
  • The stock lever is pushing too much fluid resulting in too little lever travel and that wooden feel.
  • Replacing with a smaller bore MC would give back that lovin feelin'. ohhh ohhh ohhh that lovin feelin

Solution
Replace with 85SX lever... This lever looks really tiny and the brake caliper is different. Why not use on off the RFS bikes?
They have a single 4 piston caliper and I'd guess that thye would be a good match.

Anyone know what bore size these suckers are?
  • Stock
  • 85XS
  • RFS
CycleHutt tried to seel me the fancy SM lever and I dont want to drop 3 bills on a new lever!

Where is Surly?
Old 03-19-2006, 12:50 PM   #53
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,307
Quote:
Well the lever felt like wood. I did not like it at all.
Having just recently performed the caliper-ectomy on my LC4A, I found the same thing, which I kinda suspected - remove half the load and you're going to notice a difference.

However it has improved slightly with a little use and I can't say it bothers me (yet). We will see once I've used the brakes in anger a few times.

The LC4E master cylinder might be a good fit, but it is something like NZ$400...quite spendy.

Definitely keen to know the dimensions to help find a good replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:57 PM   #54
meat popsicle
Ignostic

how about some old brake fluid? Or froth the fluid up good... both of those things are supposed to zap braking power, make lever action feel spongy, um, could help out - a cheap fix!

seriously though, are their mods to the system that don't include negligence? Different brake fluids? Perhaps a leaky master cylinder gasket? No! Just slippin' again...

Old 03-19-2006, 07:02 PM   #55
Surly
surly adventurer

Quote:
how about some old brake fluid? Or froth the fluid up good... both of those things are supposed to zap braking power, make lever action feel spongy, um, could help out - a cheap fix!

seriously though, are their mods to the system that don't include negligence? Different brake fluids? Perhaps a leaky master cylinder gasket? No! Just slippin' again...
I could pee pee in it

The other recomendation I got at the shop is to put air in the line. Tossers. He was serious too. They care more aboot their internet business and I dont consider them a motorcycle shop much less a real KTM dealer.

Where is Surly?
Old 03-19-2006, 07:21 PM   #56
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
I could pee pee in it

The other recomendation I got at the shop is to put air in the line. Tossers. He was serious too. They care more aboot their internet business and I dont consider them a motorcycle shop much less a real KTM dealer.
Next time ask for that in writing; and make sure they run it by their liability insurance rep.

Old 03-20-2006, 04:44 AM   #57
Surly
surly adventurer

Quote:
Next time ask for that in writing; and make sure they run it by their liability insurance rep.
I think I will do that

Where is Surly?
Old 03-20-2006, 06:34 AM   #58
rob748
resident alien !!!!

Oddometer: 824
fender

did the mod to mine, high fender one disk and my lever is like wood but after a while you just to along with it.
if you change the res and lever what about the mirror mount ?

the 85 sx guards just need a little dremel and a hair dryer to make them work ( a ADV rider gave me this tip not sure who )
rob748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:07 AM   #59
meat popsicle
Ignostic

OMFG, pics found!

sherpa,

since you said you were still on it, here are two pics, originally posted by boejangles (long ago) of a riser setup for the lowboy front fender

meat popsicle screwed with this post 03-28-2006 at 08:13 AM
Old 03-28-2006, 08:13 AM   #60
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Pic two, side view:

Who's your daddy!