Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2009, 03:23 AM   #1
ornithoid OP
Banned

Oddometer: 3,091
Thumb Monkey's Fist key fobs -- glow-in-the-dark cord, very cool!

Handmade MONKEY'S FIST KEY FOBS made with glow-in-the-dark utility cord.

Nice conversation piece for your motorcycle keyring--unobtrusive, compact, very interesting to look at (in the light and in the dark!).

The Monkey's Fist was originally a nautical knot tied at the end of a lightweight line and weighted with lead. As a "heaving-line knot," it was thrown from ship to dock so that the lightweight line could be pulled ashore and, tied to it, the heavier docking line that could not be effectively thrown.

Mine are handmade by me from a strong, durable glow-in-the-dark cord that appears white in daylight and glows with a cool green in the dark. Finished with a "whipping" made of black nylon thread to give a neat appearance. Attach to your keyring using a "Lark's Head"--simply tuck the loop through your keyring, and then pop the 'Fist through the loop. (see photos)

Each for sale at $9, which includes shipping via First Class Mail in the U.S. Outside the U.S. may be additional. Payment accepted by Paypal only.

Oh, other colors available (but not glow-in-the-dark): black, royal blue, neon-safety orange, UAC camo, woodland camo, neon yellow, neon green, imperial red, dark grey, neon pink.

Monkey's Fists in various colors.
(there are other colors available, as I listed)

Thank you for looking!

ornithoid screwed with this post 04-13-2009 at 12:56 PM
ornithoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
Vance
Banned

Oddometer: 18,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ornithoid
Handmade MONKEY'S FIST KEY FOBS made with glow-in-the-dark utility cord.

Nice conversation piece for your motorcycle keyring--unobtrusive, compact, very interesting to look at (in the light and in the dark!).

The Monkey's Fist was originally a nautical knot tied at the end of a lightweight line and weighted with lead. As a "heaving-line knot," it was thrown from ship to dock so that the lightweight line could be pulled ashore and, tied to it, the heavier docking line that could not be effectively thrown.

Mine are handmade by me from a strong, durable glow-in-the-dark cord that appears white in daylight and glows with a cool green in the dark. Finished with a "whipping" made of black nylon thread to give a neat appearance. Attach to your keyring using a "Lark's Head"--simply tuck the loop through your keyring, and then pop the 'Fist through the loop. (see photos)

Each for sale at $7, which includes shipping via First Class Mail in the U.S. Outside the U.S. may be additional. Payment accepted by Paypal only.

Oh, other colors available (but not glow-in-the-dark): black, royal blue, neon-safety orange, UAC camo, woodland camo, neon yellow, neon green, imperial red, dark grey, neon pink.

Thank you for looking!
I'd call that a "Volleyball" knot.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
ornithoid OP
Banned

True, it's been called that before.

Maybe I should market them to the U.S. Olympic Volleyball Team...

I'll be posting pictures of other colors soon... watch this space!
Old 04-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
ornithoid OP
Banned

Damn. Sorry, looks like I've "exceeded my bandwidth" on my photo host site.

Here's a link to another photo, and when the bandwidth resets (I think it will happen on the 7th), I guess you'll be able to see it. This one has a neon pink Monkey's Fist, a grey one, and a glow-in-the-dark one.

ornithoid screwed with this post 04-05-2009 at 10:15 AM
Old 04-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,412
I just got a Monkey fist keychain! Although mine isn't glow in the dark , but cool none the less!
Old 04-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,971
Interested but your pics arn't working.
Please remit.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:02 AM   #7
fir_chan
Little Red Dot

Oddometer: 87
Now you got me all curious!! Pics Pics pics!!
fir_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:16 AM   #8
FyreFlye
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
I too am interested. Post pics please and information how to pay via PayPal.

Wings In The Wind
www.wingsinthewind.org

CMA 137278
www.cmausa.org

2K5 WeeStrom
1974 XS650
FyreFlye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
ornithoid OP
Banned

Folks, I apologize about the pics not working--my account will reset on 4/7/09 and they'll be visible again. But I think I'd better find a better hosting site for them because I don't know how long it will take for my quota to get hit again.

I have more glow-in-the-dark cord on its way to me, hopefully arriving sometime this week. The only Monkey's Fists I have made in glow cord right now are spoken for. I have 200 feet of cord on order, and that will make about 70 fists or more, so...
But if you select from any other colors I have listed, I can make them and have them sent out the very next day.

By the time the pics are reset on either the 7th or the 8th, I will have posted several other colors. (The neon pink came out looking really cool!)

Those of you who like riding with bright yellow colors are going to love the neon yellow.

Oh, by the way,
I will be offering a variety of other styles of key fobs along with the Monkey's Fists.
Those will be depicted this week as well. Wait until you see the "Ladder Rack Knot"!

Anyone who wants (or thinks he/she wants) any of these, please send PM and I will return with Paypal info.

Please note, if you order this week, I will honor the current price of $7 per (which includes shipping). When I found out that the postage rate was higher than expected to ship even just one 'fist, I realized I'm going to have to raise the price by a dollar or two, but I will be giving some quantity discounts. The cord is getting pricier, too--especially the glow cord. These take nearly an hour of my time to make a single one--they are very meticulously done--and at the price of $7 including postage I'm practically giving them away.

Anyone who orders before Friday 4/10/09 will get the current price. After that, they will be $8 or $9, I haven't decided.

Thanks again!

ornithoid screwed with this post 04-05-2009 at 10:15 AM
Old 04-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #10
Wreckluse
Will work for beer

Oddometer: 443
What would it cost to ship 4 (or 6) of these to Calgary, Alberta, T3M 1J9, via USPS?

Wreck
08 DRZ 400 SM Adventure
12 GasGas 250 Pro
Wreckluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
What are you wrapping inside the fist, or are you collapsing it on itself?
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:21 PM   #12
ornithoid OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckluse
What would it cost to ship 4 (or 6) of these to Calgary, Alberta, T3M 1J9, via USPS?

Wreck
I'll check that out and get back to you. Thanks for asking. Please give me a couple of days so I can get to the post office and inquire.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #13
ornithoid OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
What are you wrapping inside the fist, or are you collapsing it on itself?
Heh--nothin' but knot!

It's a very good question.

Many times, a Monkey's Fist has to be loaded with a spherical object in order for it to keep its shape. Often I use a 3/8" steel slingshot pellet. I made a 'fist for use as the pilot chute handle on my skydive rig, then had it installed by a rigger. It uses a foam practice golf ball as a core.

But in the case of these 'fists, since I am making them with a closed loop instead of two loose ends for tying, I am able to tie an overhand knot in one end, and it gets buried at the core of the 'fist.

These 'fists, I have to say, are really tight. I have been tying these since I learned how to do them in 1994. The time has flown by, and in that time my technique has grown a huge amount. (You should see the sorry specimens that are my first few attempts--I still have them!) Anyone who gets one of these will agree, they are built like rocks. They don't deform. You can squeeze them and it feels almost like you're squeezing a pebble. There is 99% certainty (ok, I just made that figure up ) that these will never inadvertently come untied. To be blunt, I'm proud of how well I make these, and I think buyers will be very satisfied with them.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #14
ornithoid OP
Banned

More information about the Monkey's Fists

I still have a small amount of glow-in-the-dark cord in 1/16" diameter (while the other cord I usually use is 3/32"), and in response to a query I just made a Monkey's Fist out of it to get an idea of what the finished size is. I don't care as much for the thinner cord, so my recent order for additional supplies contained only the 3/32" cord, and when I run out of 1/16", that's probably it for that unless there comes to be a significant demand for smaller 'fists. I probably have enough left to make five or six more at present.

Since I'm offering these in three types of cord, here are the sizes of the finished 'fists:

The finished sizes (diameters) of the Monkey's Fists are:
- 1/16" Glow cord: appx. 5/8" (sorry, this size currently unavailable)
- 3/32" Glow cord: appx. 3/4"
- standard "550 Paracord": appx. 7/8"

The smallest of the 'fists, the 1/16" glow, has a circumference a touch smaller than that of a U.S. dime.

The lanyard loop is something that, once made, will remain fixed. I can make it as long or as short as you like, for your purposes. The minimum, of course, is the size it will take to push the 'fist through the loop to make the Lark's Head knot with which it is affixed to the zipper or keyring.

I hope this clarifies some people's questions. I'll take pictures of the small 'fist alongside the others and post them. They'll be visible by the 8th as I've mentioned.

EDIT: Five Monkey's Fists in the smaller diameter glow cord are now spoken for. Once I have them made, I will post info on whether I have enough cord remaining to make more of them. Thanks for watching!

ornithoid screwed with this post 04-10-2009 at 11:00 AM
Old 04-06-2009, 06:58 AM   #15
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,971
PM replied to.
Assfault
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is online now   Reply With Quote