User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
uconnapharm OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
BMW F650GS vs Suzuki DR650

I love learning from other people . Hypotheticals always bring out great answers.
So , tell me which bike you would take , under the following scenario :

75 % of your riding is short trips around town.
( ride to a friend's house , ride to the barber , go buy a quart of milk , etc )
20 % of your riding is blasting down lonely rural roads , on 30 minute after work cruises to wind down .
5 % of your riding would be 90 minute rides down to the ocean for a good meal.

BUT - here is the rub : Your ONLY two choices for a ride are :
1) a 2006 BMW F650GS and not a dime leftover for any accessories- over the next few yrs
OR
2) a 2006 Suzuki DR650 and you have $2000 leftover for hop-up accessories ( pipe,tank,seat) etc etc

Under these strict circumstances : Which ride would you go with ?
uconnapharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:53 PM   #2
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,517
The BMW. Without a single extra penny spent on it, it's still fundimentally head and shoulders above the aircooled carb'd bike. No contest. Wear a fanny pack and bungie a large military surplus duffle to the back. Adventure tourer. I love mine for around town errands, but don't hesitate to do 300 mile tours either.
Plus, after a couple of years, think about what you have ..a used Suzuki, fine bike as it is, worth... whatever, or a BMW, with another year left on the warranty...

Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 08:54 PM   #3
Noguz
Rest in peace, William.

Oddometer: 277
Why not buy a 98 or newer DR650 (they're great - nice and simple, and are big overachievers) used for about $2500 and spend the rest on some nice hookers? You could probably get a two-day threesome for that money.
Noguz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:12 PM   #4
CascadeThumper
Critical Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
No contest.
Buy the F-650, get the Dakar model, if you are tall enough.
The BMW gods recently lowered the price tag on the F-650s making them an even better value. 2 years from now, you will still have a year to go on your Warrantee and Roadside Assistance and your resale value will be at the top end of the spectrum. Join up at the Chain Gang, participate in the online forum, meet some nice folks, and learn how to enjoy a wonderful bike to the fullest.
Get a night job...participate at the Chain Gang....then you will know the proper accessories to add and have the $$ to do it.
Get the Beemer...don't look back.

CascadeThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:28 PM   #5
Max Power
Secret Agent

Oddometer: 4,526
DR 650... But I'm born in 61.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:29 PM   #6
dazdconfsd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Used DR. I hate being stretched money wise and there is always something you'll want to change about the bike. Easier to do with spare money in your pocket.
dazdconfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:35 PM   #7
motorjon68
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Let me preface this by saying that I'm considering a Dakar to go with my DRZ400. I just got rid of a DR650. It was by far the perfect bike for what you described. If I could have but one bike, it would be a DR650. At this point in my life, I'm maxed at three bikes. The DR is smooth, lighter than a Dakar can be lowered if needed and did I mention a bargain? I think the Dakar will win the long trip battle. Hell, I know it will. But for you needs?! Beg a ride on each. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:13 AM   #8
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
The DR wins this one easily. Simpler, lighter, cheaper and way better off-road if those forays down to the ocean include any dirt. The DR has better low-end grunt for the type of urban riding you describe and it is at least as smooth as the Beemer, if not smoother, (for those of you who haven't ridden a DR, it is one of the smoothest singles you'll find). The F650 is really only better at higher speeds, which you're not planning to do anyway.

So, you buy a good used DR for thousands less, put on a Corbin seat, ride it blissfully due to its' light handling and torguey, smooth motor and maintain it for CHEAP, (the DR is carburetted, air-cooled and has screw-type valve adjustments - don't need no stinkin', high-priced BMW dealer to maintain it). Ready to move on? Sell it for what you paid. This one's a no-brainer.
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 07:41 AM   #9
NordicRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockt
The DR wins this one easily. Simpler, lighter, cheaper and way better off-road if those forays down to the ocean include any dirt. The DR has better low-end grunt for the type of urban riding you describe and it is at least as smooth as the Beemer, if not smoother, (for those of you who haven't ridden a DR, it is one of the smoothest singles you'll find). The F650 is really only better at higher speeds, which you're not planning to do anyway.

So, you buy a good used DR for thousands less, put on a Corbin seat, ride it blissfully due to its' light handling and torguey, smooth motor and maintain it for CHEAP, (the DR is carburetted, air-cooled and has screw-type valve adjustments - don't need no stinkin', high-priced BMW dealer to maintain it). Ready to move on? Sell it for what you paid. This one's a no-brainer.
Like the man said...

1991 Honda XL600V TransAlp - "all year - all road"

NordicRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 07:50 AM   #10
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
I have owned both (still have the F650). I love my GS very much, especially the way it has been enhanced. It has a roadbookholder and a trip computer (IMO), heated grips, satnav, blingbling and top notch suspension. 18" rear wheel, USD forks, etc. A whole lotta money for a whole lot of bike, I know. But it does everything I want, and it does very, very well.

But sometimes I still long after that DR650SE. It's roadmanners weren't that far off from my current BMW. With proper jetting the engine is good, just as long as you don't underrev it (here is where the BMW really shines). You could drop it and the bike couldn't care less, which is totally different on the GS where everytime I drop it I have to bend the front support for the fairing back into shape.

If you want to go on holiday with your bike, buy the GS. Long distance comfort (fairing, seat) is much better. If you want to take your bike offroad more than every once in a while, buy the DR.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:08 AM   #11
UPSam
All jacked up on Dew

Oddometer: 16,370
I don't really understand for the uses stated why you would buy either bike but that was not your question.

I have a DR650 and I definitely would not spend more money on that BMW. Both bikes have similar limitations. If I had the BMW dollars to spend I would get a used DR650 and another used heavy street bike.

Since you state you are not leaving the road then you should probably just stick with the one you like the looks of.
UPSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:37 AM   #12
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,549
The DR. With some suspension work, pipe. tires and a rejet it is just as good if not better than the BMW.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:26 AM   #13
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRoadToad
Both of these motorbikes have tubed tyres, which is ridiculous, especially in the case of the BMW as the F650 costs thousand more and it should come with real wheels instead of bicycle wheels. I think all motorcycles should come with tube less wheels running tube less tyres. All motorcycles.
[...]
The Toad
Mind if I disagree on this one? I wouldn't want my motorcycle without tubes.

And in my humble opinion any real wheel consists of a rim, a hub, and a bunch of spokes that connect them. Not just some cast lump of aluminonions.

(but hey, I used to be a bicycle repairman so it could be that I am slightly biased)
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:49 AM   #14
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconnapharm
I love learning from other people . Hypotheticals always bring out great answers.
So , tell me which bike you would take , under the following scenario :

75 % of your riding is short trips around town.
( ride to a friend's house , ride to the barber , go buy a quart of milk , etc )
20 % of your riding is blasting down lonely rural roads , on 30 minute after work cruises to wind down .
5 % of your riding would be 90 minute rides down to the ocean for a good meal.

BUT - here is the rub : Your ONLY two choices for a ride are :
1) a 2006 BMW F650GS and not a dime leftover for any accessories- over the next few yrs
OR
2) a 2006 Suzuki DR650 and you have $2000 leftover for hop-up accessories ( pipe,tank,seat) etc etc

As your anticipated riding (75% + 20% + 5%) includes absolutely no off-road riding, why would you even condsider the DR? It's a great DS bike, but with all you're riding being done on the road the F650gs is the way to go. If it were a 75% dirt, 25% road, the DR would be, in my opinion, the better choice. Good luck with whatever you get.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:08 AM   #15
Beljum
I've been thumped!

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconnapharm
2006 Suzuki DR650 and you have $2000 leftover for hop-up accessories ( pipe,tank,seat) etc etc

When I was looking last September for a street thump (much the same requirements as you), I was convinced, based on everything I read, that I was going to get a KLR. I rode a few (KLRs) and though they were nice, they didnt do it for me. A DR showed up in the paper locally with around 1000 miles on it. I went and looked at it, took it for a long ride.. that was it! The rest is history! Mine is still bone stock and I dont see a real need for anything (seat and all), except maybe some soft luggage. If I won a BMW in a contest, I would sell it and buy another DR (and a CRF450!!).
Beljum is offline   Reply With Quote