ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,617
Anyone care to ride Sunday 1/8?

A few people had expressed some interest on this thread right here, but then no replies.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111943

I'm going to be riding past Swinging Bridge, the almighty Glory Hole (although it hasn't rained so don't think we'll see much action there), probably play around Cooper Creek, and maybe if I have time head towards Anna Ruby Falls.

Will be trying to ride as much dirt as possible on the 650GSD.

So far, my bud Trent (who bought my old KLX) is riding.

BTW, I figure I'll leave my house (130 Greenwood Park Way, Dawsonville, GA 30534) around 9 or so. I live halfway between Dahlonega and Dawsonville on Hwy 9.

I have loose plans on which roads to take, which are always subject to change on a whim, and I imagine we'll stop to take some pics, since it is Trent's first time out on the dirt, which should be something to witness.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:13 AM   #2
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

I just realized this may interfere with dinner for some of you dining out on BBQ... didn't mean to put up a thread to interfere there.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:55 AM   #3
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,907
I have to work loser. You can reschedule it to the day that I have off, whenever that is.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 07:03 PM   #4
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
Hey flux, you mind if I tag along?
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 06:45 AM   #5
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Man, I am having some starting issues this am. Been having problems with the bike stalling for no reason and it has been hard to start (acutally impossible to start). It wants to crank but can't find the energy to do it. I thought originally that I was pinching a fuel line or something, but now I am not sure what is going on. I will have to do some work on it this morning. If I get done early enough, can I give you a holler? I pm'ed you my #.

Love to ride with you again soon. You know I won't be able to keep up with you on my GS though right!? Did I tell you I got a 200 EXC? Maybe I can dual sport that thing and then we'll have some REAL fun. Didn't Cbob dual sport a 2 stroke KTM after y'alls Colorado trip?
Old 01-08-2006, 08:08 PM   #6
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
flux: I rode on FS 69 to FS 248 today, but there was a gate up on FS 248 with a sign saying "road closed" - I was really wanting to find that swinging brideg today, but not a chance. I wonder what the deal is - was the gate open last time you were there?
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:15 AM   #7
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy
flux: I rode on FS 69 to FS 248 today, but there was a gate up on FS 248 with a sign saying "road closed" - I was really wanting to find that swinging brideg today, but not a chance. I wonder what the deal is - was the gate open last time you were there?
I did the same thing. I have been through their several times but going to fast to notice the trail to the swinging bridge. So I rode 60 to doublehead gap to old rock creek road to 333 and came in the back way. The gate was closed to but you could ride under no problem. I went and checked it out. pretty neat. Also met a guy on a new hp2 BMW and we burned up duncan ridge 33a cooper creek and suches creeks. The bike was impresive with a good rider on it.s
Old 01-09-2006, 07:24 AM   #8
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
I did the same thing. I have been through their several times but going to fast to notice the trail to the swinging bridge. So I rode 60 to doublehead gap to old rock creek road to 333 and came in the back way. The gate was closed to but you could ride under no problem. I went and checked it out. pretty neat. Also met a guy on a new hp2 BMW and we burned up duncan ridge 33a cooper creek and suches creeks. The bike was impresive with a good rider on it.s
I was disappointed that I could not get on 248 from 69. Ended up taking 69 to GA 60. then rode Old Dial Road for the first time - very nice. And I took that Star Creek Road to Hemp, which I also enjoyed.

Where is this Old Rock Creek Road to 333?

I would like to ride with you all sometime, if you don't mind a slow old fart tagging along.
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:00 AM   #9
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy
I was disappointed that I could not get on 248 from 69. Ended up taking 69 to GA 60. then rode Old Dial Road for the first time - very nice. And I took that Star Creek Road to Hemp, which I also enjoyed.

Where is this Old Rock Creek Road to 333?

I would like to ride with you all sometime, if you don't mind a slow old fart tagging along.
From 60 and rock creek go towards morganton. Go about 10 to 15 miles looking for doublehead gap on your left. Go down doublehead maybe 2 miles not far. Look for old rockcreek on your left. It almost looks like someones driveway. Stay on this until it turns to fs 333. It looks like you might be going down someones drive way at first glance. Just keep going and you will see the fs 333 sign. keep going till you see a hiking trail . Stop and hike down to your left about 200 yards to the swinging bridge. Sure anytime I can break away I'd love to show you around and maybe you can show me some new stuff.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:18 AM   #10
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Man, I am bummed I had to miss yesterday. Bike is running ok toady, but I am not sure what I did to make it so. I think this cool mountain air is playing games with my battery. Need a tender for sure. I need to fill up the water in my battery as well, hopefully that will help. I think I am pinching a fuel line or something when I put the seat on, but I can't figure out which one. With the weight of me sitting on the bike, it stalls more often. I'll do some more wrenching today...keep you guys updated.

Let's try a ride next weekend. That is, if Mike doesn't mind waiting on us slower riders! He can haul ass out there!

BTW, the roads were all open when I was out last...interesting. I'll see what I can find out.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:34 AM   #11
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

I know the forestry comission starts closing some of the side roads off during the winter to avoid traffic on them during the (they say) most ecologically damaging season. Sucks that the roads were closed. Guess my new mission is to figure out which ones are still open.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:45 AM   #12
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB

What was his build? Small guy? Big guy? It wasnt me as my buddies and I headed up past Lake Rabun for some more aggressive DSing, but we came up 42 to Suches for a brief stop at 12:30 and then off up 180 to Clayton area.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:11 AM   #13
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
What was his build? Small guy? Big guy? It wasnt me as my buddies and I headed up past Lake Rabun for some more aggressive DSing, but we came up 42 to Suches for a brief stop at 12:30 and then off up 180 to Clayton area.
I think his name was Pat williams. He is from Dallas GA. He said he bought it from BMW Atlanta. Nice guy with a nice bike. Wish I could afford one but I can't. I was really surprised at its ability off-road.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:05 AM   #14
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Shoot, after seeing Bobby ride his that day a few weeks ago I was impressed with it. I'd like to do a side by side comparison with that new KTM SuperEnduro overseas.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:22 AM   #15
Killer Whale KTM
Life is the adventure!

Oddometer: 712
Flux and guys,
I missed you guys again! On Sundays I've got to get church over with before riding(usaully) Sunday I hit the trails around 1pm.I went in off of Nimberwill but went the wrong way.I wanted to go north thru the entire Chat-forest but instead went the wrong way on 28I.The road got rougher and rockier as I went.I must have lost 5lbs sweating! A little too rough and rocky for enjoyment purposes.By the time I came out on Tickenantly(sp?) creek I was worn out and asphalted it home.I poured concrete with my crew until late fri and worked sat morn hard ,maybe thats why I was so beat .Next time I'm there!! Maybe we could even have an ADVrider cook out or something.(in better weather?)
See Ya'll
Killer Whale KTM
Jeff 706-692-9053 office