User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2008, 11:13 AM   #1
Fiddlestix OP
Leapin' Lizard

Oddometer: 220
Too big for an XR650L?

Hey guys...I've been drooling over pics of the XR650L for awhile now..thinking maybe this is going to be my new budget adv tourer....but I have one question. I'm 5'11'' and weigh about 190 lbs. Am I too big for the bike? I've seen pictures of a few people sitting on the bike...and they sure made the bike look small. Course, I don't know how big they were...but it looked kind of cramped...

Dave

Currently bike-less
***SOLD*** 2010 KTM Adventure R
Fiddlestix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
Barnstormer
Polar Bear Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,269
I'd say you will be fine. I've got 2 of them, I'm 5'11" (although I weight about 150lbs). I can put both feet on the ground, but not flat foot it. You probably could, being a little heavier.
I can't imagine the bike will be too small for you. Its a big bike.

Brian

edit- oops, I misread it- I have 2 XR600Rs. But, I am pretty sure the bike is the same size.
Barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
I'm 6' 1" and 245 lbs. so you may be to small for one. Maybe you'll grow into to it though.
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
Ghoti
Sooper Brane

Oddometer: 15,212
If you're too big for it, you'll be too big for all the rest of the factory dual sports too. The L is one of the tallest.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
Fiddlestix OP
Leapin' Lizard

Cool! I just saw this picture of a guy on one..and I swear he made it look like an 80cc motocross bike. He must be ginormous! He was a bit round too..so maybe that didn't help!

Currently bike-less
Old 01-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
Seikkailu_R
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix
Cool! I just saw this picture of a guy on one..and I swear he made it look like an 80cc motocross bike. He must be ginormous! He was a bit round too..so maybe that didn't help!
200cm/100kg with XL600r P-D
Seikkailu_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
Ceej
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Yeah you should be fine, the 650L is about as big as they come. I am 6'3" and 190lbs and it is one of the few bikes that felt the right size to me (after tall bars and risers).
Ceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:43 PM   #8
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by husky123
I'm 6' 1" and 245 lbs. so you may be to small for one. Maybe you'll grow into to it though.

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White
KneeKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:05 PM   #9
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
I just installed bar risers on mine, 5'11... and just sitting feels much better than stock height... i'm rather sick so I can't ride it yet... hope to be better for a good ride this weekend.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
honcho
Barley Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
yeah, at 5'11" 190, you'll be hard pressed to get both feet on the ground. i'm 6'1" 180 and it's plenty tall for me... as it's been said, tall bars and risers are a huge improvement.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #11
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Oh and i'm a mere 155lbs so I can't even get full spring compression if I ride off a roof....
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #12
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,267
I'm your same size and my XR650L fits me fine. In my opinion, it is the best "budget" adventure touring bike of all the 650's. The Husky TE610 looks very good but is more money. Here is mine:
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #13
Fiddlestix OP
Leapin' Lizard

nice bike

Very nice 2on2off....nice looking. It looks as if your legs are cramped Seikkailu_R, that's what I mean by being too small...not that my feet can't reach the ground..but that the ergo's will feel a bit cramped. The latest bike I owned was a DL10002K.

That was like driving a couch...felt like I had lot's of room on that bike...I also owned an 85 XT350...I felt like I was too big for that bike. When I was sitting on the bike, the tool box felt about 3 inches from my butt...when my girlfriend would ride with me she always complained about sitting on that tool box.

Dave

Currently bike-less
Old 01-23-2008, 11:11 AM   #14
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix
Very nice 2on2off....nice looking. It looks as if your legs are cramped Seikkailu_R, that's what I mean by being too small...not that my feet can't reach the ground..but that the ergo's will feel a bit cramped. The latest bike I owned was a DL10002K.

That was like driving a couch...felt like I had lot's of room on that bike...I also owned an 85 XT350...I felt like I was too big for that bike. When I was sitting on the bike, the tool box felt about 3 inches from my butt...when my girlfriend would ride with me she always complained about sitting on that tool box.

Dave
Unfortunately you are correct. It seems the more dirt worthy the bike the more cramped the riding position.

My BMW R1200GS Adventure is much more comfortable for long hours in the saddle than my XRL but the XRL has more ground clearence for going over those step ups and rocks I seem to find on the trail plus it is about 200 lbs lighter. There are always those trade offs to deal with.

A BMW F650GS might have a more comfortable riding position but has half the ground clearence of the XRL. Once again, trade offs.

Someone needs to take a tape measure to all these bikes and post it here. Seat to foot pegs, foot pegs to handlebars etc.

I love the ergonomics of my GSA. A few months ago I got on the bike at 8 a.m. and didn't get off, except for a few stops, until midnight. The ride included single track trails, rocks, sand, dirt roads, gravel and hours and hours of two lane pavement, twisties and freeways, just about every kind of road condition you can think of. At the end of this ride I still felt fine and that was the longest I have ever ridden any bike, in my 41 years of riding. The GSA is the most comfortable street bike I have ever owned that I can also take in the dirt.

If comfort is a big issue for you, consider a new or used BMW R1150GS or R1200GS. It has its' limitations in the rocks and deep sand, but it is by far the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden, including the '06 BMW R1200RT I sold last summer.

None of these bikes are bad, they are just different. I plan my routes based on what bike I will be riding and have fun with both bikes.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2008, 11:18 AM   #15
Incredulous
Peanut Gallery

Oddometer: 568
You will be fine. Compared to a street bike, yes, you will look big on the bike. But the performance offroad is largely due to the light weight which equals smaller bike.

I am 6'3" and 260 and I ride a KLR. I was told a few times that I made it look like a BMX but it gets me any and everywhere and I sure do like it.

Toss some luggage on that thing and adventure...oh and you might want to look into your seat options IMHO.

-T
Incredulous is offline   Reply With Quote