User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #1
Teckhardt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Super Enduro Fender

I want to do a high fender conversion on my 950 and like the look of the SE fender.

Does anyone know if this is available (maybe from Sommer)? Does it come in black? Would it fit the 950 Adv without hitting the tanks?

Thanks
Teckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:02 PM   #2
PowerCell
SE990R

Oddometer: 2,190
http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/Eu...sso?SubCat=LC8

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:24 PM   #3
BigMac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Ya I know Touratech is all that but $220+USD for a high fender conversion? Come on, what are you folks and Touratech smoking...and can I get some? That fender is under $30 from KTM Hard Parts catalog, the fork protectors and a couple other pieces of minor hardware may add up up to what, $50 for the whole kit. Ok, the brakeline may cost a few clams but I'm betting Fren Tubo or similar offer an alternative for a whole lot less...or just jettison the right brake since a dirt bike is better with only one front brake anyway. I'll be damned before I'm paying $221 for that kit. Take care.
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:40 PM   #4
leadvegas
I want to see your uvula

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac
Ya I know Touratech is all that but $220+USD for a high fender conversion? Come on, what are you folks and Touratech smoking...and can I get some? That fender is under $30 from KTM Hard Parts catalog, the fork protectors and a couple other pieces of minor hardware may add up up to what, $50 for the whole kit. Ok, the brakeline may cost a few clams but I'm betting Fren Tubo or similar offer an alternative for a whole lot less...or just jettison the right brake since a dirt bike is better with only one front brake anyway. I'll be damned before I'm paying $221 for that kit. Take care.

If you ditch the right caliper, you can get away with $20 or so for the fender and $28 or so for the fork protectors. Add all the clamps, brake hose and the like, and you're getting to about $150 or $160. You're paying touratech $60 for putting everything in one box and venting the rear of the front fender. It's what businesses do - make money.
leadvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:27 AM   #5
GreyGhost
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadvegas
If you ditch the right caliper, you can get away with $20 or so for the fender and $28 or so for the fork protectors. Add all the clamps, brake hose and the like, and you're getting to about $150 or $160. You're paying touratech $60 for putting everything in one box and venting the rear of the front fender. It's what businesses do - make money.
I agree. I have done it both ways and I will do the Tourtec when available as I don't have to rely on KTM parts dept. The Tourtec comes with all the correct parts the first time. and on my style of riding the vented fender helps the low speed cooling considerably.

04 950A Scoot (Gone but not forgotten)
03 GL1800 Toad

I guess it often comes down to "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it". - FastEddieB
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:43 AM   #6
rcniss
Not that way!!

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckhardt
I want to do a high fender conversion on my 950 and like the look of the SE fender.

Does anyone know if this is available (maybe from Sommer)? Does it come in black? Would it fit the 950 Adv without hitting the tanks?

Thanks
OK - OK. . . . .back to the original question. I too want to know if this would work. I like the look of the SE and/or the SM fenders. Has anyone out there tried this
rcniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:45 AM   #7
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGhost
I agree. I have done it both ways and I will do the Tourtec when available as I don't have to rely on KTM parts dept. The Tourtec comes with all the correct parts the first time. and on my style of riding the vented fender helps the low speed cooling considerably.

I'd just like to point out that venting your own fender is not a complicated process....sure it wont be CNC controlled, but i am sure you can pull the trigger on the chordless drill just as well. And though having 2 calipers on the front may be more then the bike needs, I wouldnt get rid of the second after some of decents I have been through with a heavily loaded bike....its nice to have that backup.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:50 AM   #8
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,248
Do a search, there was a thread a few months ago with all KTM part #'s listed, costs & installation pics(keep both brakes). Approx $150, I used the list for the conversion on my 950.
dlrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:43 AM   #9
leadvegas
I want to see your uvula

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcniss
OK - OK. . . . .back to the original question. I too want to know if this would work. I like the look of the SE and/or the SM fenders. Has anyone out there tried this

There's a picture of the SM fender on a 950 in the other active front fender thread
leadvegas is offline   Reply With Quote