User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2006, 03:17 PM   #1
Loadedagain OP
making chips

Oddometer: 26,729
lc4 - emig clamp on post for scotts steering damper install

some of you have bought damper mounts from me (or others) and had issues installing posts. here's a step by step install of the emig clamp on post (emig part number SPO-640-160). emig web site: http://www.emigracing.com/

... here goes nothing:

this install is on a 2002 640 adventure. different models require different mods to do the install nicely.

with your steering head and top tripple removed slip the emig mount onto the top of your steering head. draw a line on your steering lock where the clamp bolt interferes:

cover up your bike and all stuff that doesn't like steel filings, and trim the steering lock.

install the clamp with a little dab of loctite on the screw (i like to use loctite 262). torque to emig specifications.

while you're in there make sure to re pack your bearings, or replace them. they are not expensive, and if you're spending this much time and money to get your steering right it's not a bad idea to have some decent steering bearings. place the emig supplied dust cap on top.

install your tripple clamp and fork legs (if you had them off) per ktm factory specs and torques. in the pic below you can see why emic encloses a button head bolt with their clamp kit. the factory hex head will hit the clamp! for this install i had to lightly grind the clamp so it would clear the post.

the cable routing thingamadooey that mounts below the left front of your top tripple must be flattened to clear the clamp. i put this one on the vise and peened it with a hammer. then filed it a little to fit.

if you look up underneath you'll see how close it is to the clamp. to get it to clear i had to get a button head bolt from the hardware store (ok... i took it outa creepers toolbox. thanks creepy )

i was unhappy with the post supplied with the emig tower so i made one of my own. it's unlikely you're going to be able to do that. creeper filed his emig post to fit and it fits very nicely!

once everything is assembled this is what your pin, post and damper should look like

here are a couple photos of the whole thing mounted.

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #2
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,250
What's all the switches for below your IMO colin?
Old 01-08-2006, 03:35 PM   #3
Loadedagain OP
making chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASSMORE
What's all the switches for below your IMO colin?
one is for my gps, one for roadbook, one for autocom, and the oher for 12v aux. the red light is on whenever anything is on.

Old 01-08-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Hey you goober... your mount is bluer and ah..."Stenhousier" than mine.

Old 01-08-2006, 04:21 PM   #5
Loadedagain OP
making chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Hey you goober... your mount is bluer and ah..."Stenhousier" than mine.
it is stenhousier... same colour as yours though. i used too much flash wit mine camera

Old 01-08-2006, 05:33 PM   #6
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
it is stenhousier... same colour as yours though. i used too much flash wit mine camera
Yeah sure. I think you and Chop and Cob wuz smokin' too much Ganja.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:49 AM   #7
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,167
Nice job; it certainly is Stenhousier than my Loaded Risers...

I think its too bad that the Emig clamp-on tower's, ah.... clamp (borrowed from creeper ), was designed to clamp right where the steering lock is, requiring one to cut it. Looks like it could go in any number of places and avoid that, say 3 or 9 o'clock...

But my (ahem!) design review aside -Stenhouse, could you give your take on the pluses and minuses of using a bolt on vs. a weld on tower? That might be helpful for potential customers to make up there mind. Particularly address if the weld on tower would require all that cutting and grinding (such as the triple clamp's, ah.... clamp ()) and special hardware and such.

ps - I thought the second switch from the right was for the photon torpedoes

pps - creeper, clean your lens man! you're gonna get those boys into trouble with evidence like that... Catch a Fire

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
Loadedagain OP
making chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
I think its too bad that the Emig clamp-on tower's, ah.... clamp (borrowed from creeper ), was designed to clamp right where the steering lock is, requiring one to cut it. Looks like it could go in any number of places and avoid that, say 3 or 9 o'clock...
yeah... maybe it could, but it would probably get in the way of other stuff. so really it's pretty damned good where it is. it doesn't effect the functionality of the steering lock so no harm done.
Quote:
But my (ahem!) design review aside -Stenhouse, could you give your take on the pluses and minuses of using a bolt on vs. a weld on tower?
ya know... as the manufacturer of the mount i'd rather not. both have benefits... the clamp on is an easier install for sure. the weld on is more rigid. i may do a weld on yet... for my exc i am putting a weld on tower for sure.
Quote:
ps - I thought the second switch from the right was for the photon torpedoes
shhhh.

Old 01-09-2006, 05:09 PM   #9
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,678
Emig F'd up

There is a 3 o'clock position stabilizer post set-up, enabiling you to keep the steering lock. I have an 05' so it may be different, but i don't think so. End result is, finally getting the right parts & now having NO steering head lock. RIDE ON!
Old 01-09-2006, 05:22 PM   #10
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrtracin
There is a 3 o'clock position stabilizer post set-up, enabiling you to keep the steering lock. I have an 05' so it may be different, but i don't think so. End result is, finally getting the right parts & now having NO steering head lock. RIDE ON!
Based on views of the 950s frame and fork, the lock and its location look similar to a 00 to 03 640.
I can't find an exploded view of a '05 640 (or 2004 for that matter), so I can't say for sure what you have.
On 2000 to 03 640s, only the top portion of the lock "box" welded to the frame has to be removed, and as the locking pin actually registers in the lower portion of the box, its function is retained.

C
Old 01-09-2006, 05:39 PM   #11
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Check it out

Look at emigs install procedure on there web page, it shows cutting the whole top off where the locking pin inserts, not like loaded shows. I believe they need to update there web page for correct installation for the newer model. I did get a sorry about that from gary though, still doesn't get me back my steering lock. RIDE ON!

dzrtracin screwed with this post 01-09-2006 at 05:52 PM
dzrtracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:56 PM   #12
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Look at emigs install procedure on there web page, it shows cutting the whole top off the where the locking pin inserts, not like loaded shows. I believe they need to update there web page for correct installation for the newer model. I did get a sorry about that from gary though, still doesn't get me back my steering lock. RIDE ON!
I got a "no weld" fix for ya' if thats what you did was remove the entire box. Get a piece of steel or even aluminum channel of the appropriate size, and using a countersunk allen head bolt, attach it to the circular piece of steel on the right side of the steering head where the box usta be.

At least thats what I would do.

C
Old 01-09-2006, 06:04 PM   #13
Loadedagain OP
making chips

Quote:
the 3oclock one will probably hit the bottom of the tripple... i'd stick with the 12 'er and nick the steering lock like i did. it still works aok... a couple guys have these on 05 640's so they do work.. as for whether they are identical i can't say... but they're close enough.

Old 01-09-2006, 06:59 PM   #14
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,687
As loaded says, any other position with the clamp will hit the bar clamp bolts during their travel. The only other position besides the rear, would be the front if they could figure out how to clamp there. The posts with the clamps in 6 & 3 o'clock positions are for the EXCs which don't have bar clamp bolts sticking down.

It only needs to sit about 1/8" below the surface of the steering lock. I gotta admit that if the post clamp band were 1/8" thinner, it would likely fit without cutting the steering lock.

potatoho screwed with this post 01-09-2006 at 07:07 PM
potatoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:30 PM   #15
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Full set-up

I purchased the whole set-up, triple clamps, bar risers & steering dampner. My point was they sent the wrong parts for my 05' 640, i NEVER needed to cut the steering lock channel per there instructions. Once again it was just a mistake on there part, wrong parts. But, when you spend that kind of money on a product such as there's i would expect them to get it right the first time. The invoice even stated an 05' 640 adventure, just a little venting.