User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2014, 09:40 PM   #1
GarageGuyChris OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
vstrom 650 1st gen VS. 2nd gen

Hello everybody i have recently joined here and have spent many hours reading threads and screwing around. Anyways i have been contemplating buying an adventure / tourer. I think i have narrowed it down to a vstrom 650.

I have looked at the 2012+ newer 2nd gen bikes and quite like them. But i realize a 2004 - 2011 1st gen would better fit my ramen noodle / kraft dinner budget.

the biggest thing is the 1st gen bikes seem huge compared to the 2nd gen bikes.

Im just looking for some comparisions between the two. also if certain years had problems or issues that would be good to know too.

Anyways discuss.
GarageGuyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:24 AM   #2
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,250
I own a 2007 and 2012, once had a 2009 as well... the ´12 is a more complete package straight out of the box. Nicer fuelling (but still uses about 10% less gas under similar circumstances), more firm suspension setup, more stabile at higher speeds, yet its handling is more agile. Has an immobilizer, too, and stock seat & aerodynamics seem to be an improvement according to most owners (but ergonomics of course depend on the person – one thing that I have found problematic is a slight bend forward on the ´12 as stock, but it is only because I´ve had some lower back problems lately, I´ve already modified the handlebar/pegs/seat, and now riding position bothers my back much less). Many of the older models shortcomings were in fact addressed, so to put it short: the ´12 or newer IS the better bike and is actually worth some extra, but how much, that has to be up to you to decide. The older version is by no means a bad choice, either.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:24 AM   #3
surlywill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Ditto what petcha72 said. Rented a 09 for a fly and ride and really noticed very little difference with my '12. A little less peppy and the suspension was off, but it was a rental. One good thing with buying a gen1 is you can always sell it for what you paid for it if you get a good deal. If you can find a gen1 with a good maintenance record for a fair price, its a hard combo to beat...
Old 08-27-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,901
I had a '09 DL1000. Since then I have owned a '12 DL650, and now a '13 DL650. I loved them all. The 09 DL1000 was the most comfortable, for me. It came with the handguards and the plastic oem "sump guard". Also Suzuki offered a gel seat for it.

Of the three, however, my current '13 DL650 Adventure is my favorite. It's just fun to ride, and it gets killer gas mileage. It needs a better seat, though. I may give Corbin a call today...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 1,146
... Seems huge...

I read you.

I do not have an eye to tell the V1000 from the 2003-2011 650. They look similar.

But it is the fairings that make her bigger.

The 12+ model decreased the tank size by about 1/2 gallon or so. This was ok due to better fuel economy.
The range is very good on the current Wee.

I bave read about owners complaining about taking the tank off for valve checks or something with the 12+. Not sure.

I would go with a 12 or 13 year model.

Solid MC.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:17 AM   #6
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageGuyChris View Post
Hello everybody i have recently joined here and have spent many hours reading threads and screwing around. Anyways i have been contemplating buying an adventure / tourer. I think i have narrowed it down to a vstrom 650.

I have looked at the 2012+ newer 2nd gen bikes and quite like them. But i realize a 2004 - 2011 1st gen would better fit my ramen noodle / kraft dinner budget.

the biggest thing is the 1st gen bikes seem huge compared to the 2nd gen bikes.

Im just looking for some comparisions between the two. also if certain years had problems or issues that would be good to know too.

Anyways discuss.
I rode both last weekend. I own a 2013 DL650 and rode my buddy's 2004 w/ power commander.
I was as objective as I could be while riding but feel the 2013 is a little more refined. It carves up the twisty roads effortlessly.

Honestly, most people would be happy on either bike.

The season to get a new 2014 cheap, is approaching. I bet you could get one for $7500 w/ zero % financing right around November. So, it really comes down to your budget and planning.

Keep in mind, I put another $1000 bucks in accessories on my new 2013 just to dial in the riding comfort. (Givi windscreen, heated grips, Seat Concepts, Aprilia mirrors, aux lighting, tail bag, etc.)

So, you might wait for the zero % deal Suzuki usually has each year, get a great deal on a new bike left in inventory, and spend your cash on hand on accessories. Only a suggestion...
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
GarageGuyChris OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
The input and comments are great. its exactly the kind of stuff i wanted to know about. I would do a test ride but the demo circuit is over for the season up here.

I have done some more reading and gen 1`s fall into two groups

gen 1.0 2004-2006
-16 bit ecu

gen 1.5 2007-2011
-32 bit ecu
-New NON-user friendly throttle bodies
-New brakes
-ABS options

gen 2.0 2012+

As for pricing im in Toronto and the "average" older bikes with 20-50k km's bottom out around $3700. the 2012+ with 5-15k kms bottom out around $6500. Still mulling it over and considering my options at the moment i think i would go either early (2004 - 2006) or splurge on a 2012+ i will just have to keep an eye and see what pops up

The dealers are already discounting left over 2014's by $1000 - 2000, last week i missed a 300km demo SE or expedition (cant remember) for $6595.
GarageGuyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,973
You're doing well with the homework... only you can decide if the extra 3k is worth it for a 5-6 year newer bike.

I put 100k on an 07 and it was a great bike. Haven't ridden a new model, but responses are positive.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:55 PM   #9
Gobius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
You have been to Stromtrooper, right (www.stromtrooper.com)? This subject has been discussed at length and in detail over there, by many riders who have owned both versions.
Gobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:29 AM   #10
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,437
2006 and 2012

The 2012 is better sorted, it's better balanced, has a bit more torque and runs better at low rpm's.

It's a better bike, but it's not many thousands of $$$ better.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:00 AM   #11
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,447
The general consensus is: if you have a Wee1 that is set up like you want it and does not have a Crap load of miles etc . . . continue to ride the wheels off it.

However, if it is getting long in the tooth and you were thinking of a fresher bike . . . then it is time to upgrade to the '12 or newer etc.

I was in the market for the newer Wee2 . . . Then I ran across a like-new low mile loaded '11 Wee1 . . . Which does everything I want . . . No regrets.

If they really do refresh the Wee2 next year . . . I may reconcider . . . The Wee1 will sell quite easily etc.

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:02 AM   #12
Traumat1x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I was looking for a new bike qith ABS coming from a Transalp XL700V

I rode a lot of bikes including BMW GS F650, Dakar, 800GS 1200GS, etc.
I rode a previous model 2011 Wee with ABS and a 2012 Wee ABS back to back.
I rode the 2011, then the 2012. Literally at the same dealer right after one another. Climbed over from the one to the other.
The price on the 2011 was about $800 cheaper and only had about 2000 miles more on it with a bit more farkle than the other one.
However I took the Wee2.

Why?
It feels a bit lighter. The instrumentation is a lot better imho including gear indicator, it has a little bit more midrange punch for sure and to me the engine sounded more... I'm not sure how to describe it...lets say "fuller"/"thicker" at idle. Maybe a little more refined, less "clickety clack" which is quite normal.
The seat on the older bike was a lot more comfy for me however as well as the handlebars which seemed slightly more back. The Wee2 kind wants to slide you into a position were it wants you to ride. I'm 6" and 34 inseam. I fitted 15mm lower pegs and 22mm handlebar risers and that is now sorted. You could also obviously add one of the many many seat options. Most people posting on the forums that I have read prefer the new one's ride. So your results will depend on you.

This could have been setup and preload etc (something I didn't play with at the dealer) but the suspension on the new one felt more responsive and the brakes slightly more predictable I would say.

Cornering felt the same in terms of weight to me but the suspension on the new one was soaking the bumps up a bit beter.

I would really agree with the people saying the new Wee2 is about 5% - 10% better when you take all the small refinements into consideration. i think it's an accurate assessment.
For a big cash difference for close the same year if both are ABS I'd get the old one but if the cash difference is not that much OR the older one does not have ABS I'd say definitely go for the newer one. i.e ABS ads a lot the cost. here where I live anyway.

I think re-sale on the new one would be better though just because it's the newer model.
Looks, that is subjective but I can tell you...it's funny coming from a Vstrom but I get a lot of looks and compliments on my bike from other riders and non riders. They are not a common bike here at all. MANY MANY BMW's but Not important to me really but it does feel nice now and then. For some reason people think the older one looks a bit dull but imho it also looks great and may look better than the Wee2 with some nice Mitas E07's on. It just looks mean.

You can't go wrong with either imho.

Traumat1x screwed with this post 08-28-2014 at 04:39 AM
Traumat1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:16 AM   #13
bete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Haven"t seen any answer the size comparison question. I'm curious also. I owned a gen1 650 and felt ok size wise at 6'4, so is the gen2 about the same size overall? thanks. bete.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #14
ukiboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Owned a 2010 Wee bought new in Dec 2010. Recently bought a Glee, bought a week and a half ago..
I think the Wee was more comfortable - it felt bigger and roomier. The Glee handles slighty better and looks more 'swish'.
If I'm honest I can't notice a big difference, if at all, when it comes to the engine performance.. The Glee looks more modern and has better fuel economy.
But my legs feel more cramped on the Glee.. (I'm 6' with a 33 inch leg).
Ultimately, I love the Glee but I also loved the Wee. I got a great deal on my Glee and its superb value for money..
Bottom line.. The Wee suited me better as it was roomier but they are both superb bikes so go with whichever one you like best.. You definitely can't go wrong with either
ukiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #15
Gootch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
One thing I can't get past is the first gen looks. That bike is so ugly I actually can't conceive of spending any hard earned coin on it. The 2012 to the present looks so much better that it popped onto the list of my possible next bike (especially in white, which I notice Suzuki dropped).

Other than test rides, I've never ridden a bike with ABS but that has to be a point for the newer generation.
Gootch is online now   Reply With Quote