Oddometer: 1,990
Aprilia 1200 Rally

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-...iew/26307.html

with wire wheels
Old 02-21-2015, 05:17 AM   #2
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
I just don't know... I saw it in the flesh and sat on it. Felt just as comfortable as the regular caponord. But I'm not sure I get where they're going with this bike.

The caponord is brilliant, really on the top of my list. For the simple reason that it is a stylish, understated, yet still with Italian flair, smooth, road going sport tourer with a slight sport-bias. Finally a motorcycle that "understood" that most of these big adventures bikes only ever see tarmac duty anyway and are often bought by poseurs that buy into the rally crap marketing. So I guess Aprilia figured, lets throw that adventure pretence over board, and make a truly amazing, comfortable "gentlemen's speed machine" (as I called it previously)

And at that, it is amazing, I would almost say that a motorcycle like that is the "new standard" of today. Fairing, but not so that it feels like grandpa's 1200RT, and smooth and just competent.

Then they turn around, do a 180, fit larger front wheels, some knobbies and some "trying too hard" engine crash bars, and we're back where we started. You know it is not going to be as good as a super tenere for what aprilia thinks this caponord rally can do, you know it's gonna have low sales numbers, and that nobody will truly take this type of bike all the way through the planes of mongolia...

I still kinda like it, because I like the caponord in general, but I'm split on the caponord rally (don't own one though...) Of the two, I would still buy the other one if that opportunity ever presented itself. Because the normal one has a more focussed mission statement as a motorcycle.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:58 AM   #3
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,138
I like it. It's competing with the Stelvio and GS ADV. The big ADV bikes do allright on gravel and light off road, when NOT loaded too heavy. Any bike will be just a poser bike when loaded unrideable. With the Wire wheels and 19 inch front, there is proper ADV tires available. Allso, Aprilia claims it will be lightest in class, that's a big plus.

This thread needs pics.

kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:18 AM   #4
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARiderX View Post
I just don't know... I saw it in the flesh and sat on it. Felt just as comfortable as the regular caponord. But I'm not sure I get where they're going with this bike.

The caponord is brilliant, really on the top of my list. For the simple reason that it is a stylish, understated, yet still with Italian flair, smooth, road going sport tourer with a slight sport-bias. Finally a motorcycle that "understood" that most of these big adventures bikes only ever see tarmac duty anyway and are often bought by poseurs that buy into the rally crap marketing. So I guess Aprilia figured, lets throw that adventure pretence over board, and make a truly amazing, comfortable "gentlemen's speed machine" (as I called it previously)

And at that, it is amazing, I would almost say that a motorcycle like that is the "new standard" of today. Fairing, but not so that it feels like grandpa's 1200RT, and smooth and just competent.

Then they turn around, do a 180, fit larger front wheels, some knobbies and some "trying too hard" engine crash bars, and we're back where we started. You know it is not going to be as good as a super tenere for what aprilia thinks this caponord rally can do, you know it's gonna have low sales numbers, and that nobody will truly take this type of bike all the way through the planes of mongolia...

I still kinda like it, because I like the caponord in general, but I'm split on the caponord rally (don't own one though...) Of the two, I would still buy the other one if that opportunity ever presented itself. Because the normal one has a more focussed mission statement as a motorcycle.
I get your point. And I agree with it. But it has a chance...

We know that only a small percentage of Super Tenere owners take their bikes off road. It is not whether it will do well off road or not, it is whether it looks the part. And this one, well, it "looks" like it is a mean off road machine. Perfect for the Starbucks. What makes it different is whether it fits your off-road riding suit or the street leathers. If it fits your street gear, then you get the non-rally version. Otherwise, this is the machine for you.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:09 AM   #5
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,029
Build this around an RXV550 and I'm in. Or even the 750 engine for that matter.

IMO, it's the most badass looking one on the market.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:05 PM   #6
JohnG. OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ashman View Post
Build this around an RXV550 and I'm in. Or even the 750 engine for that matter.

IMO, it's the most badass looking one on the market.
Yup, build around a Shiver 750 taken to 800 I'm there too

Kyns, thanks for posting pics, cheers.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:48 AM   #7
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
I get your point. And I agree with it. But it has a chance...

We know that only a small percentage of Super Tenere owners take their bikes off road. It is not whether it will do well off road or not, it is whether it looks the part. And this one, well, it "looks" like it is a mean off road machine. Perfect for the Starbucks. What makes it different is whether it fits your off-road riding suit or the street leathers. If it fits your street gear, then you get the non-rally version. Otherwise, this is the machine for you.

Clearly the Caponord Rally is the better poser bike.The marketing department did their job well.
I would buy the non-rally version (or a different bike for off pavement).
Old 02-23-2015, 05:34 PM   #8
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,554
minus the ridiculously large exhaust, i think it looks great. i do understand what ARiderX is saying though.....does it really need the crash bars and such?

anyhoot, i think Aprilia did a nice job with it.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:54 AM   #9
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,544
Didn't realise it has a 19 inch front.

Hmm. Makes me wonder if the V4 from the Tuono is heading into a tall rounder package to take on the Multistrada now...
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:25 PM   #10
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
minus the ridiculously large exhaust, i think it looks great. i do understand what ARiderX is saying though.....does it really need the crash bars and such?

anyhoot, i think Aprilia did a nice job with it.
I was maybe a bit harsh, after reading what I wrote. And I'm coming around on the whole thing. Either way, it's not up to me to comment from the sidelines. Aprilia doesn't need my input and surely doesn't give a rats ass I get that. I read about this bike ages ago and saw it already in the flesh by the way.

I just thought that Aprilia didn't need this one. It is not different enough from the standard caponord to really create a different "niche"/"experience".

It's as if many manufacturers think there is this standard recipe to making an adv out of an already excellent bike (a bike no one was asking for in my opinion ...). Things like: 19" front wheels? Check. Crash bars? Check... Ugly lunchbox side cases? Check. "Well gee, I think I'm all done now, I present to you: the caponord rally adventure bike..."

The crash bars will not protect the bike for all the times it doesn't fall over when it is not going off road. And it's nothing you couldn't do by getting a pair of crash bars for your original caponord.

Maybe what I'm saying is that this lacks a bit of effort and originality. They should have given the adventure treatment to the dorsoduro! Now that would have resulted in something quite unique in todays market. A smaller, light 750cc v-twin adventure bike. It's a supermotard already, they're already halfway there. That would have shown they get this adventure thing.

The rally is an easy bet...

But ok, I still like the rally, it's ok
Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM   #11
kvango
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARiderX View Post
I just thought that Aprilia didn't need this one. It is not different enough from the standard caponord to really create a different "niche"/"experience".
I like this one. I think the mods set it as an alternative to GS/S10/Explorer segment, where the regular Caponard doesn't have the 'right specs'.

And it is the best looking 'adventure-tourer' of the bunch. No styling cues taken from transformers/insects/birds.

As an S10 owner, this looks more appealing than a new S10. But would it be smart to ride an Aprilia to Alaska, or through Mexico? Reliability/service might push me back to Yamaha . . .

However at this point I'm more interested in a 690 or CCM (when available). Weight matters. But no denying stepping off the Rally will make your double Ristretto Venti Nonfat Organic Mocha Frappuccino Extra Hot with Foam and Whipped Cream Upside Down Double Blended so much better

Quote:
A smaller, light 750cc v-twin adventure bike.
If Only.

--- Kevin